BBC News: File swappers ‘buy more music’ | iLounge News

BBC News: File swappers ‘buy more music’

“Market research company Music Programming Ltd (MPL) said 87% of its respondents who downloaded music admitted they bought albums after hearing tracks through the internet.

An MPL spokesperson said: ‘Downloading is actually a ‘try before you buy’ tool for a significant amount of people.’”

« The Sun: 600 albums in ‘cig packet’

Mac: VoodooPad 1.1 alpha 7 Released »

Comments

Hello may i speak to mr smith?

speaking…

Hi i am with XYZ markting focus groups and i would like to know if you use file swapping services?

Yes i do.

Would you say you buy more music because of this?

Uhhhh yeahhh… Ummm suuuuree yes. I do buy more music. cough.

(click)

Posted by me on July 9, 2003 at 10:01 AM (PDT)

Actually I download music and I buy as well.  If the group has some really nice stuff I will surely buy the album. The problem is if you are somewhere in the world—like the Middle East—where you cant find artists that you would normally find in a big city music store like in the States you are more likely to download it because its available.

Posted by Marco M on July 9, 2003 at 10:09 AM (PDT)

I definitely buy a lot more. I have found numerous bands I would have not found without soulseek. If they turn out to be good, I go and buy their album(s). Now I own all the Thievery Corporation CDs, just beause I like the music and I wanted to have it in the best quality possible.

Not one of these surveys mention the reason I find most compelling for the “p2p sells more music” argument. Downloaded music is horrible, untrustable quality. Even if you only download 256kbps stereo mp3s or 320kbps VBR you are still not guaranteed that:

a. some kid did not feel like playing his uitar in the middle.
b. got resampled from a 96kbps mono mp3
c. got ripped with exact copy (as opposed to jitter or jitter control)
d. got ripped through the analog stage
e. did not get “volume adjusted”
f. has correct id3 tagging

These are all big headaches, and the music I love I like to keep in better shape…

Posted by pbox on July 9, 2003 at 10:58 AM (PDT)

Totally agree with ‘Me’

Also if you like one song froma band I don’t see why you don’t just downlaod all there songs and burn to cD its what I do all the time and pbox, where do you downlaod your music from? because when I downlaod music its normally perfect quality if it isnt and thats a 3% chance then I re download and its perfect practically all my songs have no whatsoever buzz’s hisses skips or anything in them
and they are all downloaded

Posted by Fusen in UK on July 9, 2003 at 12:48 PM (PDT)

fusen: i used soulseek. the problems i have listed above are ones from real life experience. it is not that all of the tracks have problems, but it is bad enough so that you have to take it into account. you absolutely MUST listen to every track before burning, just to make sure there are no “funny” ones.

as far as quality goes: if you listen to your mp3s on computer (or even computer attached) spaakers, then you will not have an issue with quality. if you use headphones (short of $200 mark) you will not have an issue with quality. id no none of those, and i do notice that about 20-25% of all mp3s are inferior quality. you can hear artifacts of ripping, encoding, etc.

music i like i am fussy about. however when discovering new music, there is absolutely no better way then free p2p. even emusic.com or listen.com does not get close, since they lock you out if your do not comply with their interpretation of “unlimited”...

Posted by pbox on July 9, 2003 at 1:26 PM (PDT)

I also began buying CDs after downloading music; was never a music fan before then.

Posted by monkeyking84 on July 9, 2003 at 2:38 PM (PDT)

I totally agree, I’ve bought so much more music after discovering new bands from the internet. And as I like to rip my own perfect copy of a song with the correct tags, I’ll buy the CD so I can.

Obviously this doesn’t apply to aaaallllll songs, but the majority!

Posted by tombertram on July 9, 2003 at 3:36 PM (PDT)

I Totally agree with the findings of the study, and totally disagree with user “me”..... because I am one of those people who ONLY caught onto buying cds BECAUSE of MP3s… I can honestly say if it weren’t for (illegal) MP3s, I wouldn’t be nearly as big a music fan, I wouldn’t own the CDs I own today, and obviously wouldn’t buy an IPOD (because it wouldn’t exist since there are no MP3s for it to play)

IF YOU PUT OUT QUALITY MUSIC, WE WILL BUY IT! Put out crap, we just download it, ok Universal/Sony Music/EMI/Virgin!!!!

Try before you buy is a good thing, it keeps crap from being bought. Hopefully it will keep music quality HIGHER. A good product deserves to be bought!!

Posted by spirit on July 9, 2003 at 5:11 PM (PDT)

I’ve been a major music fan and buyer all my life, with the exception of the mid-nineties when mainstream music got very monotonous and boring. I simply stopped buying and kept on listening to old music.

When mp3 compression came around it changed everything. I was finally able to explore the underground world of hip-hop and many other genres of music…. I got to listen to music from all over the world. I got turned on to new music again (not the mainstream crap though). Music became exciting again because I had access to sounds that the major labels weren’t controlling and conservatizing.

I began to buy music again, regularly. The big difference between now and prior to my lull in buying… I finally get to try an album before I buy. If an album sucks, I won’t buy it. If the album is good, I will.

In just 2 years time, my music purchases have at least matched what I bought in most the past decade.

What’s the lesson that the music industry should learn from music listeners like me? Allow quality music to get through to fans again. Otherwise, they will fail in this “war on digital consumers”.

Posted by mGee on July 9, 2003 at 5:39 PM (PDT)

Originally I was going to say pretty much the same things as pbox, tombertram, and spirit said. I have a good ear for music and honestly I have to DL like 5 copies of a song at different bit rates to find one I can listen to without being annoyed by people’s inability to rip a freakin’ CD. How can you possibly mess it up, I mean it’s really not that hard. I, like most people replying here, will buy artists I respect and like for their music. Guess what? All the bands I’ve bought since MP3 (considering that I may have bought about 4 CDs in all my life before that) are bands that could care less if you download them because they want to get their music out. incubus, RHCP, SoaD, Foo Fighters, etc., etc., don’t seem to care about being downloaded. Why? They make great music and don’t have to worry about people sampling their CD and finding out they have 2 songs and 8 fillers. Hell, Blood Sugar Sex Magik has 17 songs and they’re all GREAT! I mean it’s even become so bad that CDs rarely get up to 11 or 12 tracks anymore (and I’m not talking about debut albums either). MP3s have also braodened my musical taste. Now I like everything from russian techno, to irish jigs, to salsa, swing, hell even country (more limited on country though….). Anyway now I realize that I could’ve said this all with one statement from a certain video on MTV:

Shake you’re tailfeather? WTF is this?

Posted by zync on July 9, 2003 at 8:59 PM (PDT)

I LIKE TO STEAL THE OLD FASHION WAY…. PICK UP THE CD… LOOK FOR EXIT… AND RUN LIKE THE WIND.

WEEEEE!!!!!!

Posted by jack on July 10, 2003 at 1:53 AM (PDT)

also a lot of mp3s are recorded from radio so there are annoying djays at the start and end and is absolutely terrible quality

Posted by ti on July 10, 2003 at 7:08 AM (PDT)

I sure hope that ‘jack’ was only kidding aound otherwise you could at some point in later life find yourself doing some ‘time’. Do they lock you up in the US for stealing Cd’s?

Do i buy more CD’s as a result of downloading, not really as I’ve always bought music whether cd or vinyl (call me old fashioned but you just can’t beat vinyl, I don’t know but I love it!). buying my iPod has made me buy more CD’s despite having a huge CD collection (2,000+).

Posted by mac_glady on July 15, 2003 at 7:35 AM (PDT)

I can’t listen to the radio without cringing,most of the time. I guess I get tired of hearing the same 10 songs over and over and over….ad nauseum. Plus, you can only listen to an artist that the record company is trying to pass off as the “Next Big Mediocre Thing” before wanting to smash the radio, or TV for that matter.So this is a great way for me to check stuff out before I buy it. I couldn’t even begin to tell you how many artists I’ve discovered this way. Not to mention the number of CD’s and Vinyl I’ve purchased as a result.

Posted by Christianicononev.2 on September 17, 2003 at 2:45 AM (PDT)