BBC TV shows added to UK iTunes Store | iLounge News

BBC TV shows added to UK iTunes Store

image

Content from BBC Worldwide has now appeared on the UK iTunes Store following earlier reports suggesting its imminent arrival. Shows currently available from the store include “Torchwood,” “Life On Mars,” “Little Britain,” “The Catherine Tate Show,” “Spooks,” “Two Pints of Lager & A Packet of Crisps,” and “The Mighty Boosh.” Apple UK’s Hot News section also mentions “Robin Hood” and “Ashes to Ashes” as store offerings, and specifies that “Ashes,” “Torchwood,” and “Two Pints” will be available for purchase eight days after they are screened on TV. As with other TV shows on the UK iTunes Store, the episodes sell for £1.89 each; it is unclear whether the BBC plans to offer the programs internationally.

« iPod shuffle 1GB price drops to $49, new 2GB at $69 [updated]

Pirates of the Caribbean debuts as iPod Game »

Comments

BBC iPlayer is free to view on your computer up to seven days after broadcast. Why pay £1.89 on iTunes/Apple TV? I don’t want to own TV shows. Should be free to download and watch within seven days then gets deleted from your hard drive. If you want to keep the episodes then charge the fee. Although would be more inclined to pay £1.89 if these shows were available in HD quality. In the meantime my Sky+ HD recorder is recording the many series of shows for future watching. If I miss one then iPlayer is the safety net. Old BBC series will be repeated on the many Sky channels like UK Living, Bravo etc.

Posted by carrerarsr on February 19, 2008 at 5:43 AM (CST)

Speaking as someone who prays Torchwood will be added to the iTunes Store in America, I’d happily throw the standard $1.99 per episode down. Especially considering Series 1 of Torchwood on DVD in the states is priced WAY higher than buying thirteen episodes at $1.99 a pop would be. >.<

To each their own…

Posted by Skatter on February 19, 2008 at 7:02 AM (CST)

I thought I read somewhere that BBC programs will be offered free to rent when the iTunes rental service becomes available in the UK later this year.
Then again, I could be wrong.

Posted by fizzyfizz on February 19, 2008 at 9:40 AM (CST)

This is great news, its good to see some UK specific TV shows added.
I can certainly see me buying Torchwood, Life on Mars and maybe even Spooks. It will be great to be able watch these whilst away travelling with work.

For me cost is an issue, but I’d rather buy some programmes than spend days copying every episode across to an iPod compatible format.

Lets see more TV shows and hopefully some movies here in the UK.
We seem to be of to a good start and just need the momentum to be maintained.

Posted by Cyberman in nr Heathrow, London on February 19, 2008 at 10:07 AM (CST)

All I know as that I love BBC programming and I live in Michigan, USA. I can only get a little of it either through PBS, youtube, or Amazon Unbox. There are some programs listed here, that I can’t see in the US at all unless I pay $70 for a box set at amazon.com. I for one would like to see the BBC added to the US store. Pretty Please?

Posted by Pamela on February 19, 2008 at 4:58 PM (CST)

Hello Michigan!  from Toledo Ohio.  :)

As a Spooks and Torchwood fan i can say that this is good news.  Spark interest in these series.

I wonder, however, will these be the full 59 minute episodes that air on BBC and have to be found through other means or the watered down 42 minute versions that air on BBC America.

Either way, it will be nice to spark interest.  I have no one to talk about neither Spooks nor Torchwood.  :(

Posted by Mike (crash613) on February 20, 2008 at 1:39 PM (CST)