The Beatles set to sell songs online | iLounge News

The Beatles set to sell songs online

The Beatles are preparing to make their albums available through online music services after years of refusing to embrace digital music. During the Apple Corps vs. Apple Computer trademark lawsuit last week, Neil Aspinall, a former Beatles road manager and managing director of Apple Corps, said that the company was digitally remastering the entire Beatles catalog in preparation of selling it online. “I think it would be wrong to offer downloads of the old masters when I am making new masters,” he said. “It would be better to wait and try to do them both simultaneously so that you then get the publicity of the new masters and the downloading, rather than just doing it ad hoc.” A spokeswoman for Apple Corps confirmed Aspinall’s statement.

« Directed Electronics offers iPod vehicle interfaces

Hear iPod 5G’s high/low quality recording modes, compared »

Comments

Is it me, or did Macworld UK report this yesterday - before Reuters?

Posted by Jonny Elliot on April 13, 2006 at 9:53 AM (CDT)

Its been common knowledge for a while that Apple Corp were remastering The Beatles catalogue, but I don’t think most knew it was for downloading just going by what the Corp has said in the past.

But The Beatles on Apple Computers iTMS? I’d like to hope so, but with all of the seeming bad blood between the companies I wouldn’t be surprised if they went with a competitor….

Posted by Piarco75 on April 13, 2006 at 9:55 AM (CDT)

Well yes and no - is it bad blood or just business? It’s likely some money will change hands and that will be that for a while. Paul McCartney has a G5 mac in his studio and gave everyone who toured with him last year iPods. And it the catalog goes online, why spurn the company that handles the data transmission for around 70-80 per cent of the legal music market. So pragmatism will probably hold sway,

Posted by Jon Ellis on April 13, 2006 at 10:15 AM (CDT)

As I said a few months ago when there was another conflict between Apple, Apple, and Yoko (over John’s music, of course), being able to buy Apple’s artists on iTunes isn’t a big deal to me- Some albums I just want on a disc.

Just because Paul uses Apple computers and gives away iPods, doesn’t mean Apple Corps is going to use iTunes- though hopefully they will.

I was very surprised to see the Tony Sheridan records (with The Beatles as his backing band) on iTunes a few days ago.

[Of course, as I’m writing this, two tracks from Sgt. Pepper’s played from my iPod]

Posted by Eric on April 13, 2006 at 10:47 AM (CDT)

None of this matters to me.  I’ve never owned anything by the Beatles and I don’t ever plan to.  Much ado about nothing.

Posted by The Raven on April 13, 2006 at 11:05 AM (CDT)

I hope it is all just business Jon, and some sensible deal can be struck. Even if its along the lines of Apple Corp seeing all of the funds generated by the sales on iTunes.

Eric - I opted for a couple of tracks of Revolver… my favourite Beatles album!

Posted by Piarco75 on April 13, 2006 at 11:15 AM (CDT)

Raven,

Whether you like the Beatles or not, it is clearly a big deal.

Posted by marktate99 on April 13, 2006 at 11:56 AM (CDT)

Since the Beatles CDs will finally be remastered and available for download I still don’t understand why any would at that time prefer the downloaded versions over newly mastered CDs with new updated cover art. You would not be limited in anyway with the CD versions, the quality would be far superior and you would have the entire package. As you could easily load them into your itunes library. Of course if you only want a few songs here and there, I guess download would be the way to go.

Posted by Norman Maslov on April 13, 2006 at 1:11 PM (CDT)

I’m all over this one…I can’t wait.  Even though I already have all of their songs my iPod and their Solo years I am anticipating this and yeah, for all serious Beatles Collector is a must.

Posted by Oliver on April 13, 2006 at 2:10 PM (CDT)

Norman, I think that could be the key to this - the fans will buy the full albums anyway, almost certainly on the new CDs rather than downloads, but it will be interesting to see what happens when people can buy just the songs they really like individually.

Posted by Magic Rabbits in Aberdeen, Scotland on April 13, 2006 at 3:00 PM (CDT)

Raven,

You say “None of this matters to me.” Why take the time to write then? Kind of like going to a concert and flipping the artist off the whole time. What’s your point? You don’t like The Beatles? Umm, ok. But my guess is that you’re insecure in your musical tastes and the way you’re trying (erroneously) to make yourself feel better is by trying to make others feel bad.

Anyway, it’s about time they remastered the catalog. How long’s it been? 18 years or so?

Posted by Paul on April 13, 2006 at 7:43 PM (CDT)

Screw the digital downloads!  I just dropped $100 in the past two days on “The Capitol Albums Vol. 1 and 2” boxed sets, and I’m looking forward to the rest of The Beatles catalog in all its gloriously remastered sound.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on April 13, 2006 at 11:31 PM (CDT)

I’m officially starting a new rumor.  RealNetworks will be given an exclusive contract to sell The Beatles entire recorded output in both the RealPlayer Music Store and through its Rhapsody service. Remember, you read it here first! ;-)

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on April 14, 2006 at 12:07 AM (CDT)

Unless you’re only going to download a few tracks, it really makes no sense to download the remaster. Sure, it’s going to sound better than the original, but why buy remastered stuff in a lossy format?

I’d rather buy the actual CD’s and rip them myself (still lossy, but I choose the bitrate AND still have the CDs).

Posted by jhart71 in Detroit, MI on April 14, 2006 at 6:13 AM (CDT)

I already downloaded all their stuff of allofmp3.

Posted by Kyle on April 14, 2006 at 2:28 PM (CDT)

I’m not buying any Apple Corps. Music. I think the lawsuit is nuts. However if they drop the suit and sell their songs in the iTunes music store - I might reconsider.

Posted by mopcodes on April 14, 2006 at 3:27 PM (CDT)

“Whether you like the Beatles or not, it is clearly a big deal.”

To you and your kind, I suppose.

Posted by The Raven on April 14, 2006 at 4:00 PM (CDT)

@Paul

No, Paul, I have absoulutely no insecurities about my taste in music, but I’m a little concerned about yours.  I mean, do you REALLY like the Beatles or have you convinced yourself that you do, simply to be accepted by the “Cult of Beatle”?

And, just to annoy you, I will restate MY opinion…

I find much ado about nothing in this news.

Posted by The Raven on April 14, 2006 at 4:19 PM (CDT)

on the other hand, Raven, one could ask whether or not you actually do not like the Beatles music, or whether you claim such in order to appear hip, superior, and/or punk.

Even if your dislike of the Beatles music is genuine (assuming you had not already made up your mind before listening to them), you should recognize how significant they are culturally and economically. Say you don’t like them, but don’t tell me you haven’t heard of how big they are.

Personally, I’m estatic about this news. While nothing in the article states that this has anything to do with the Apple vs. Apple trial, ever since the trial began, I was hoping that the end result would include Beatles music online. I have most of their stuff already, but I can’t wait to round out my collection.

As for those of you who say that the Beatles are outdated, or that nobody listens to them, consider this; when 1 was released, it went to the top of the charts, 30 years after the band had broken up. Name one other band that could do that.

Posted by Bradley on April 14, 2006 at 5:13 PM (CDT)

...much ado about nothing…

Clearly a most appropriate sentiment that can be ubiquitously applied to certain anti-Beatles posts on this thread as well.

Since I already have the entire Beatles catelog several times over in multiple formats (MFSL half-speed mastered vinyls being my preferred listening choice so far), if I MUST do this all once again, this time can I get the remastered Beatles in SACD or DVD-Audio?

Or is this merely pandering to the download crowd?

Posted by flatline response on April 15, 2006 at 3:45 AM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >