The Beatles set to sell songs online | iLounge News

The Beatles set to sell songs online

The Beatles are preparing to make their albums available through online music services after years of refusing to embrace digital music. During the Apple Corps vs. Apple Computer trademark lawsuit last week, Neil Aspinall, a former Beatles road manager and managing director of Apple Corps, said that the company was digitally remastering the entire Beatles catalog in preparation of selling it online. “I think it would be wrong to offer downloads of the old masters when I am making new masters,” he said. “It would be better to wait and try to do them both simultaneously so that you then get the publicity of the new masters and the downloading, rather than just doing it ad hoc.” A spokeswoman for Apple Corps confirmed Aspinall’s statement.

« Directed Electronics offers iPod vehicle interfaces

Hear iPod 5G’s high/low quality recording modes, compared »

Comments

“cult of Beatles”????

My guess is that at least one band or most likely one hundred bands that the raven does like, were influenced by the Beatles. You can like them or not but fourteen albums in only 8 years is pretty amazing. They practically invented modern studio tenchniques without any digital “cheating.”  They were the first band that could get away (at the time) with releasing an album without there name on the cover (Rubber Soul) or no image at all (The Beatles AKA the white album). There are always those who love to put down any band, actor, artist once they get immensely popular. They feel it is hip to hate anything that sells.

Even if you hat the Beatles or their Apple Corp. They were (and still are) in the music business long before Apple Computer.  Not irrevelent by a long shot!!!

Posted by Norman maslov on April 15, 2006 at 7:37 AM (PDT)

The Beatles were a manufactured boy band.  Their rise to popularity and fame was on the shoulders of millions of screaming teenage girls, not adults with matured tastes.  Their appeal and effect today is based on nostalgia more than quality.  Does anyone truly believe that “Love me do, whoa, love me do, yeah, love me do, whoa-oh, love me do” constitutes impressive songwriting?

The Beatles are only a slight step above The Monkees in terms of artistic integrity or meaningfulness.

Posted by Terence Roll on April 15, 2006 at 6:36 PM (PDT)

“manufactured?”  Yes they were put in suits but they were a bar/club band, playing in Liverpool and Hamburg for three years before any “manufacturing” occurred.

And Yes there were screming girls (and boys) but not alot of adults in the beginning. How stupid are you or do you simply have a lack of musical history. Hardly any adults were into rock and roll music at the time. Adults then had grown up on be bop, jazz, sinatra. NOT ROCK, so of course it was originally kids music. Love Me do was a very simple song, not great but the Beatles eventually began to write some of the first mature rock/pop music and “mature adults” came aboard. These guys created an amazing catalogue of music and when they split up, the oldest was only 30.  Also rock criticism was actually “invented” when SGT. Pepper came out. There were no serious “adult” music magazines at the time, and the mainstream press like TIME Magazine and the NY Times saw that that album was not just a pop album, but serious art. It was tthe first time. I am sure it is hard for you to see this now with so much media out there now. It does get lost. But Terence, you are so wrong my friend about their song writing or record making. You should have chosen A Day in the Life or Strawberry Fields or Eleanor Rigby or Revolution or Hey Jude or Across the Universe or two hundred plus other songs. Love Me DO is an easy target.

Posted by norman maslov on April 16, 2006 at 7:25 AM (PDT)

The idea that Apple and Apple are fighting over what was thought to be the future of music during the days of tubes and glass is very interesting. I do not thinking anyone had any idea of where the digital world would take us let alone APPLE CORP. In the end it will come down to money. Here is how it will pay out

Apple Corp will agree to drop suite as long as Steve and Company will agree to pass over .90 per song to APPLE CORP. It may be higher for a period of time. I say not less than 18 months and not more than 24 months, also all promotional marketing use of the band will have to have clearence and payment before marketing of “the bands” on-line release of songs. - Thats the facts- Pay me, and pay me often. Humm know of any one else that has such control ? Anyone ?

Posted by Sammy Clownington on April 17, 2006 at 11:06 AM (PDT)

I agree with Sammy, this whole lawsuit will give Apple Corp. the chance to iron out a <deal> with Apple Computers. Now I’m totally going to buy the new CDs as soon as they come out, but would like the SACD option. Anyway, any chance that both Apples will make up and release a special edition Beatles iPod a la U2? That’d be fab!

Posted by crazy4beatles on April 17, 2006 at 11:41 AM (PDT)

You seem to have a lot of emotion invested in the issue, norman. Why bother to argue with a red-faced, foot-stamping zealot?

If you are smitten with the Beatles, continue on with your romance, my friend.

“Love me do, whoa, love me do, yeah, love me do…” *snicker*

Posted by Terence Roll on April 20, 2006 at 3:04 AM (PDT)

Actualyl I do love them but I love alot of music.  Usually artists or bands that don’t play it safe at the time the albums were released-the Beatles were always breaking the rules) I know it is difficult to imagine that now. Yes it’s an obsession, Used to be in the music biz, have 20 thousand songs on my mac and as many as can filll my iPod. I just find it interesting when people who slight any band that becomes huge and very saleable,

Posted by Norman Maslov on April 20, 2006 at 9:08 AM (PDT)

Love to see the catalogue go on Itunes—keeping my fingers crossed.

And reading the above argurments, all I can say is how fashionable it must be to bash the most influential band in rock and roll history.. As Norman said, at the time, the Beatles were innovative; way ahead of everyone else, and actually considered “dangerous” by the adult community.

Not only that, they evolved, from the adolescent “Love Me Do”  (Which was filler BTW), to the much more sophisticated songs at the end of their span (Would anyone who’d never heard of the Beatles think that the same band that wrote “Love Me Do” also wrote “Revolution”)?

A list of all the Beatles firsts and an entire listing of their legacy is too extensive to even try here; I can understand why they may not be someone’s particular taste, but to deny the quality of the work they did, or the influence they’ve had, just shows an ignorance with regard to the history of rock and roll, and to music in general.

Posted by dmt1 on April 21, 2006 at 3:28 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2