Belkin Battery Pack “Can” Charge iPod
The Belkin Battery Pack states that it will not charge the iPod, rather it will just provide power to the iPod when you plug it in directly. I’ve discovered that when you plug the battery pack into the dock, place the iPod on the dock, it will charge your iPod and allow it to function normally as if plugged into the adapter.
Editor’s note: Please click ‘Read more’ for an official comment from Belkin on the above discovery.
Thank you for the heads-up. You are right, we just tested the Battery Back-up unit with the iPod with Dock Connector and IT IS charging it. According to our product managers this behavior will happen. It is an issue with the way that Apple implemented their accessory detection scheme.
Basically the iPod can only recognize one accessory attached to the FireWire connector. In this case the accessory is the Docking Stand. When the Battery Pack is attached to the Dock the iPod does not see the Battery Packs identification so it cannot disable its own charging circuit.
In order for Apple’s accessory detection scheme to be fool proof, no accessory can have the male and female connectors.
This will not harm the iPod in any way so it is safe to continue using it.
Sr. Sales Representative
- Apple adds ‘Beats by Dr. Dre’ section to online store
- Magellan intros Echo Fit sports smart watch
- Apple posts official Beats welcome announcement
- Nest Protect alarm returning to stores with lower price
- Samsonite acquires Speck Products for $85 million
- Beats introduces new Solo2 headphones
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Happy Labor Day from iLounge
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, last chance for August giveaway
- Apple to add 3X Retina Display support to iPhone 6?
- iPhone 6 logic board leak shows NFC, A8 chips
- Massive report reveals Apple’s PR strategies
- iWatch not shipping until 2015?
- Report: Dutch chipmaker NXP to provide iPhone 6 NFC chips
- Video Review: Parrot’s Jumping Sumo and Rolling Spider
- Apps of the Week: Hyperlapse, BioShock, Asphalt 8 1.5 + more
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Awesome Cables 6ft Braided Awesome Cable
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air
- Juno Labs Juno Power HUE Pro
- Parrot Minidrone Jumping Sumo
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today