Belkin Battery Pack “Can” Charge iPod
The Belkin Battery Pack states that it will not charge the iPod, rather it will just provide power to the iPod when you plug it in directly. I’ve discovered that when you plug the battery pack into the dock, place the iPod on the dock, it will charge your iPod and allow it to function normally as if plugged into the adapter.
Editor’s note: Please click ‘Read more’ for an official comment from Belkin on the above discovery.
Thank you for the heads-up. You are right, we just tested the Battery Back-up unit with the iPod with Dock Connector and IT IS charging it. According to our product managers this behavior will happen. It is an issue with the way that Apple implemented their accessory detection scheme.
Basically the iPod can only recognize one accessory attached to the FireWire connector. In this case the accessory is the Docking Stand. When the Battery Pack is attached to the Dock the iPod does not see the Battery Packs identification so it cannot disable its own charging circuit.
In order for Apple’s accessory detection scheme to be fool proof, no accessory can have the male and female connectors.
This will not harm the iPod in any way so it is safe to continue using it.
Sr. Sales Representative
- Apple also bringing W1 chip to new lineup of Beats headphones
- Apple’s new AirPods wireless earbuds set for October release, to cost $159
- Incipio acquires Griffin Technology
- Leaked photos appear to show Apple EarPods with Lightning connector
- Cirrus Logic releases development kit for Lightning headphones
- Incipio to acquire Skullcandy
- Hackers expose security flaw in iOS 10’s local backups
- Apple releases iOS 10.0.2 to fix headphone controls, iCloud Photo Library
- Report: Apple’s Siri home hub has reached the prototype stage
- Apple acquires machine learning company Tuplejump
- Apple releases iOS 10.1 public beta
- iOS 10.1 beta adds ‘Portrait’ Depth of Field effect
- Apple releases first iOS 10.1, watchOS 3.1, tvOS 10.0.1 developer betas
- Report: Apple considering acquisition of high-performance car maker McLaren (Update: and Lit Motors)
- Google brings Allo messaging app to iOS
- Apple working on fix for Lightning EarPods glitch
- Thought Out Simplex Tablet iPad Stand
- SmartX Galaxy ZEGA Starter Kit
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus Leather Case
- Apple Watch Series 2
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- Twelve South HiRise 2 for iPhone + iPad
- Nomad Pod Pro for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Sevenhugs hugOne Sleep Monitoring System
- Kanex GoPower Watch Portable Battery for Apple Watch
- Nuvyyo Tablo Over-the-Air Television DVR
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps