Belkin caught soliciting paid product reviews, apologizes
Mike Bayard, a Business Development Representative for Belkin, was revealed to have solicited paid positive reviews for the company’s products on Amazon’s Mechanical Turk site, prompting a public apology from president Mark Reynoso. The original Amazon posting, which has since been removed—along with all possibly fraudulent reviews—promised $0.65 for each review. The reviews were to give as high a rating as possible, with instructions to “write as if you own the product and are using it,” and mark any negative reviews as “not helpful.” Following a Daily Background story exposing the Mechanical Turk posting, Belkin posted this response from Reynoso:
“Belkin has always held itself to the highest standards of corporate ethics and its employees to the highest standards of personal integrity. Similarly, we support our online user community in discussion and reviews of our products, whether the commentary is good or bad. So, it was with great surprise and dismay when we discovered that one of our employees may have posted a number of queries on the Amazon Mechanical Turk website inviting users to post positive reviews of Belkin products in exchange for payment.
Belkin does not participate in, nor does it endorse, unethical practices like this. We know that people look to online user reviews for unbiased opinions from fellow users and instances like this challenge the implicit trust that is placed in this interaction. We regard our responsibility to our user community as sacred, and we are extremely sorry that this happened.
We want to stress that this is an isolated incident and to re-instill trust with you, we have taken the following courses of action:
- We’ve acted swiftly to remove all associated postings from the Mechanical Turk system.
- We’re working closely with our online channel partners to ensure that any reviews that may have been placed due to these postings have been removed.
It’s also important to recognize that our retail partners had no knowledge of, or participation in, these postings.
Once again, we apologize for this occurrence, and we will work earnestly to regain the trust we have lost.
- Logitech debuts Harmony Living Home line
- Microsoft unveils iOS-compatible Universal Mobile Keyboard
- Video Review: Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Philips debuts first Lightning connector headphones, Fidelio M2L
- Video Review: Waterproof Grace Digital Ecostone and iHome iBN6 speakers
- Withings unveils Home video monitor
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Video First Look: iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6, 6 Plus support 2.1A charging, ship with 1A adapters
- iPhone 6, 6 Plus unboxing and comparison gallery posted
- iFixit posts teardowns of iPhone 6, 6 Plus
- Apps of the Week: Epic Zen Garden, OmniFocus, Evernote, Pocket + more
- Apple and U2 working on ‘secret project’ to boost music sales
- Apple launches new privacy webpage
- Apple HealthKit not ready for prime time? (Update: Yes)
- First-party Apple apps updated en masse for iOS 8
- Logitech debuts Harmony Living Home line
- Spigen F70Q 7000mAh Dual Portable Quick Charger
- Apple Inc. iOS 8
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad mini
- Zoom iQ6 XY Stereo Microphone for iPhone + iPad
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 headphones
- Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Cambridge Audio Bluetone 100 Bluetooth Speaker
- Cambridge Audio Go V2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundfreaq Double Spot SFQ-09 Wireless Speaker
- iHome iBN6 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels