Belkin caught soliciting paid product reviews, apologizes
Mike Bayard, a Business Development Representative for Belkin, was revealed to have solicited paid positive reviews for the company’s products on Amazon’s Mechanical Turk site, prompting a public apology from president Mark Reynoso. The original Amazon posting, which has since been removed—along with all possibly fraudulent reviews—promised $0.65 for each review. The reviews were to give as high a rating as possible, with instructions to “write as if you own the product and are using it,” and mark any negative reviews as “not helpful.” Following a Daily Background story exposing the Mechanical Turk posting, Belkin posted this response from Reynoso:
“Belkin has always held itself to the highest standards of corporate ethics and its employees to the highest standards of personal integrity. Similarly, we support our online user community in discussion and reviews of our products, whether the commentary is good or bad. So, it was with great surprise and dismay when we discovered that one of our employees may have posted a number of queries on the Amazon Mechanical Turk website inviting users to post positive reviews of Belkin products in exchange for payment.
Belkin does not participate in, nor does it endorse, unethical practices like this. We know that people look to online user reviews for unbiased opinions from fellow users and instances like this challenge the implicit trust that is placed in this interaction. We regard our responsibility to our user community as sacred, and we are extremely sorry that this happened.
We want to stress that this is an isolated incident and to re-instill trust with you, we have taken the following courses of action:
- We’ve acted swiftly to remove all associated postings from the Mechanical Turk system.
- We’re working closely with our online channel partners to ensure that any reviews that may have been placed due to these postings have been removed.
It’s also important to recognize that our retail partners had no knowledge of, or participation in, these postings.
Once again, we apologize for this occurrence, and we will work earnestly to regain the trust we have lost.
- Nike to offer customers cash in proposed FuelBand settlement
- iPod touch 6G: Unboxing + comparison photos
- Apple debuts ‘Apple Tested Cases’ web page
- Nest debuts Nest Cam, updates Nest Protect and Learning Thermostat
- Monster: Apple booted us from MFi program over Beats lawsuit
- Report: Apple killed Beats home audio project after acquisition
- Report: New Apple TV to debut in September, subscription service to come later
- Apple releases second iOS 8.4.1 beta to developers
- Volkswagen adds CarPlay to 2016 lineup
- AT&T wants $100M data throttling fine thrown out
- Apple Music added to T-Mobile’s Music Freedom
- Report: Apple Music hits 10M subscribers
- Apple Maps vans landing in France, Sweden in August
- Report: Slimmer iPad mini 4 on the way, upgraded iPad Air 3 a possibility
- Beijing police bust massive iPhone counterfeiting operation
- Report: Apple interested in BMW i3 as ‘starting point’ for its own car
- Zivix Jamstik+ MIDI Guitar Controller
- Ulak Lumenair for iPhone 6
- Apple iPod touch (Sixth-Generation)
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?