Belkin debuts DockAdapter for iPod shuffle (Updated) | iLounge News

Belkin debuts DockAdapter for iPod shuffle (Updated)

imageAdding to its lineup of second-half 2005 iPod products, Belkin has revealed the DockAdapter for iPod shuffle ($19.99), a USB-to-iPod Dock Connector plug that enables an iPod shuffle to connect to certain iPod and iPod mini accessories. According to the company, the DockAdapter “gives your shuffle the flexibility to work with enhancements for iPod such as battery packs, mobile power cords, iPod speakers, and USB/FireWire cables that have a Dock Connector.”

As charging and audio pass-through are both supported, the DockAdapter is specifically listed as compatible with Belkin’s TuneBase series of three-in-one car chargers, mounts, and audio devices, as well as its Auto Kit, TunePower, and other Belkin car and battery accessories. It is planned for a September release.

Update: For the benefit of interested readers, Belkin notes that the DockAdapter allows an iPod shuffle to charge via FireWire, but not sync.

« Forums: iPod disguise, Musical Hallucinations, Anti-Video, Musical Nations

New Podcast: The iLounge Week in Review 3 »

Comments

Could this be used in conjunction with a USB->Firewire cable to bring some docking accessories to 1st and 2nd generation iPods?

Posted by Whyren on July 29, 2005 at 11:12 PM (CDT)

brilliant.  i’ll bet griffin is kicking themselves for not doing this.

Posted by chris johnson on July 30, 2005 at 1:31 AM (CDT)

This is the best thing ever!

I wonder if it could let me acheive transfer speed comparable to USB2 on my humble ol’ powerbook (which doesnt have USB2!! So annoyed!)

Posted by Elliott Scott on July 30, 2005 at 2:15 AM (CDT)

No, it most certainly won’t turn your USB 1.1 port into a USB 2.0, but this still is a very powerfull accessory. I never would have guessed the little USB plug on the Shuffle had so much potential in it aside from transferring songs.

Cheers!

Posted by Jarrek on July 30, 2005 at 5:17 AM (CDT)

Fantastic!
You’ve got to hand it to them, Belkin really have created an immensley useful accessory here!

Very impressive.

Posted by Len on July 30, 2005 at 6:14 AM (CDT)

Hold on a second - will this allow the user to utilize the dock connector-to-fireware cables that came with the old(er) fourth generation ipods and first generation ipod minis?  That would mean that this is also a converter…let me know if you find anything out.

Posted by bguise on July 30, 2005 at 11:31 AM (CDT)

Oh!!!
and another question… does it mean that with the Dock Adapter for iPod shuffle I’ll be able to use my Shuffle with my DlO fM transmitter ( The iPod one) ??? and with the Inmotion II ???
If so… EXCELLENT !

Posted by Leptisuisse on July 30, 2005 at 1:58 PM (CDT)

WOW! this is nice! so i can forget to buy an New Ipod and get new tons of accessory to use with my little lovely SHUFFLE?

Posted by NandoX on July 30, 2005 at 3:14 PM (CDT)

Now you can use FireWire cables with the Shuffle!

Posted by Josh on July 30, 2005 at 8:48 PM (CDT)

I’m not easily impressed by iPod accessories of any sort, but I have to hand it to Belkin… this is both innovative and extremely useful. Here’s hoping that it works as advertised :P

Posted by ozphactor on July 30, 2005 at 11:14 PM (CDT)

How is it that the firewire won’t fry the Shuffle?

Posted by Kloan in Toronto, ON on July 31, 2005 at 3:01 AM (CDT)

Jarrek: You replied to my post saying it can’t turn USB 1.1 into 2.0, but can it turn USB into FW. And how do you know this? Speculation? Or some sorta insider knowledge.

Like a spie. Cool.

Posted by Mondayne on July 31, 2005 at 7:45 AM (CDT)

Oh by the way, for some reason my screen name changed from Elliott Scott to Mondayne, so yeah, that’s what I meant. Uh. Nevermind.

Posted by Mondayne on July 31, 2005 at 7:47 AM (CDT)

I hope they make a line in-to-iPod Dock Connector plug!

Posted by ben on July 31, 2005 at 9:43 AM (CDT)

I hope this thing will work with Apple’s camera to iPod photo connector. It would be nice to empty my camera photos to my shuffle from time to time.

Posted by KenGR on July 31, 2005 at 12:40 PM (CDT)

At last! I seem to recall proposing this pretty much as soon as the shuffle first came out. Potentially the most important shuffle accessory yet - the shuffle will now work beautifully with my imMini speakers!

Posted by Magic Rabbits on August 1, 2005 at 6:05 AM (CDT)

Does anybody if this will alow the suffle 2 play though the line out port an the normle ipod dock.

Posted by Chris on August 2, 2005 at 11:07 AM (CDT)

It will allow you to use the line-out, but you gain no audio benefits whatsoever from the Shuffle’s line-out. It’s just a duplicate of the headphone audio. It’s no more “pure” or clear than the headphone jack on the Shuffle.

Posted by Wilder_K_Wight on August 17, 2005 at 10:59 PM (CDT)

I bought one today.
It’s going back tomorrow.

I was really looking forward to this product because if the line-out feature as I could hook it up to the Belkin Auto Kit (which I love, by the way) as my car has an MP3 insert jack. Unfortunately, there is a persistant high pitched “swooshing” sound when the DockAdaptor is plugged in with the Shuffle. If it were barely noticeable, I could stand it, but it’s definitely there so it won’t do. That sound was not there when plugging in and turning up the volume going through the headphone jack. Oh well, saved a little money I guess.

Posted by Boris34 on October 30, 2005 at 2:11 AM (CST)

I bought one of these adapters to hook up to my Altec Lansing speakers with my 4G 20GB iPod so I wouldn’t have the keep taking the iSkin off.  It charges the iPod, but won’t play audio.  Guess it’s going back to Best Buy!

Posted by catpodder on December 5, 2005 at 6:07 PM (CST)