Belkin Digital Camera Link for iPod debuts | iLounge News

Belkin Digital Camera Link for iPod debuts

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, April 21, 2004
News Categories: iPod Accessories

picA reader notes that Belkin has updated its website with information about the new Digital Camera Link for iPod with dock connector. The Digital Link has a USB port for compatible digital cameras as opposed to the currently shipping Media Reader, which does not. You can download photos from camera to iPod. This product is not yet available, but will sell for $89.99 at Belkin’s online store.

“Storing digital photos is fast and easy using the Digital Camera Link for iPod. Now you can leave your PC at home and stop worrying about using up your camera’s memory. With this portable innovation you’ll easily transfer thousands of digital images from your camera to your iPod, and free up disk space to take more pictures. Belkin brings a new dimension to your iPod device - it’s not just for tunes anymore.

Simply connect the Belkin Digital Camera Link to your iPod, and connect your USB mass-storage-class camera device. Using software support that’s already built into your iPod (with software version 2.1 or later), your pictures transfer quickly and you’re ready to start shooting again. When you get home, just connect your iPod to your computer to retrieve the images. It’s like having virtually unlimited storage space for all your photos.”

« iTunes Music Store now features exclusive Disney tunes

Mac: PodWorks 2.8.3 released »

Comments

What is the news?

Hasn’t this been out for ages??? I thought it came out at the same time as the voice recorder, my friend’s dad has got one.

Nothing news worthy here at all as far as I can tell

Posted by plywooduk in England on April 21, 2004 at 8:08 AM (PDT)

This one is different- it has a USB port instead of the Media Reader’s 6-in1 media slots. This allows you to use the iPod with any USB-enabled camera without taking out the media card. It has no iPod firmware support like the other Media Reader, and it is a bit less expensive.

Posted by Wired on April 21, 2004 at 8:13 AM (PDT)

I think it’s a good design move in the right step, however, why not use power from the ipod instead of two AA? So you have the batteries from the digital camera, i-pod, and the reader to keep track of on your vacations? Just an opinion… thx.

Posted by kata on April 21, 2004 at 8:24 AM (PDT)

Why the hell can’t they get it down to a reasonable size? that thing’s bigger than the ipod, and bigger than alot of cameras out there. The ipod already supports usb… and it supports the current media reader through firmware… you shouldn’t need much more than a USB cable and maybe a small box or larger plug containing a chip to notify the ipod that you’re plugged into a camera, not a computer.

Posted by JC on April 21, 2004 at 8:56 AM (PDT)

My question is, what is the transfer rate? I love the idea of the media reader, but since the thing only transfers at 300kb/s, it’s useless. I can’t wait half an hour while it downloads my 256mb card and eats my ipod battery power. Can someone please let me know the transfer speed of this? It’s not completely useless, I would rather transfer at firewire speeds, but even USB1.1 is better than 300kb/s

Posted by Acid on April 21, 2004 at 9:08 AM (PDT)

yea, this looks good.  though now you have to carry around a USB cable. . no biggy really, i guess.  i wonder how you actually transfer it from the camera to the ipod. unless its got the same interface as the previous model. . .

i had the original, but my friend stole it when he went away to the army. . .grrr

Posted by j on April 21, 2004 at 9:19 AM (PDT)

It looks like this one can transfer about 3 times faster than the Belkin Media Reader.  (300 Kbps vs. 0.8-1 Mbps).

And kata, I agree with your comment, but the 2 AA’s only allow about 3GBs worth of transfer before they need replaced, so it would probably drain the juice from your iPod pretty quickly too.

I would be interested to know what other devices we can plug into this thing.  The user manual says it doesn’t recommend using it with a media reader b/c it causes significant battery drain… so I’m guessing this is possible.  The digital camera compatability chart also mentions a “Sony Clie PE”... I wonder if we can transfer more than just pictures from this (or other) PDAs?

It doesn’t look like this will allow transfer FROM the iPod to any devices (except your PC).  I’m still hoping for the ability to transfer data from the iPod to another iPod or PDA on the go.  It looks like the iPod Linux project is my only hope.

Posted by jason on April 21, 2004 at 9:22 AM (PDT)

It’s worthless. The next Gen ipod will be able to display the images you transfer, rendering this device obsolete in about 3 months. Save the $90 to put towards a new ipod.

Posted by bob on April 21, 2004 at 9:26 AM (PDT)

um,  bob, I don’t think there’s a screen on this one, and unless the next gen ipod will have the ability to let you connect your digicam straight to it to transfer files.. I fail to see how this will be made obselete.

Now, if someone can do one that’s, say, the size of a C battery, that’s another thing entirely.

Posted by JC on April 21, 2004 at 10:57 AM (PDT)

Who designed this half-baked idea. As “I” see it…

1) the device is WAY TOO LARGE
2) why would I want to transfer my 2-8 megapixel images over USB?

Do they really expect users to carry this device and a USB cable. Simplify my life don’t make me lug around all these components and cables.

Develop a CF reader (w/an SD adapter) with a cable that attaches to the iPod connector. Then create USB and Firewire adapters that plug into the cable so I can use the reader with my PB through the USB or Firewire ports, if I so choose.

Posted by SL on April 21, 2004 at 11:08 AM (PDT)

It does seem too big…  I keep my cameras USB cable in my laptop bag, and I do NOT have enough room for this item, without removing something else…

I like a small bag, being if it were any larger it would be to heavy for me to carry (since my joints are messed up due to a medical condition)...

I’d have to buy a whole new bag just to carry this…

Posted by Bobby on April 21, 2004 at 11:56 AM (PDT)

Here’s the manual. It shows how the UI works. <http://web.belkin.com/support/download/files/F8E477.pdf>
By the way- the reader is the same size as the iPod, which makes it quite a bit smaller than Belkin’s original media reader. And for all you tech novices: the batteries are necessary because the iPod doesn’t provide enough power through the dock connector to power the reader for use with most of the supported media types. So complain about this to Apple.

Posted by Wired on April 21, 2004 at 11:57 AM (PDT)

ok i bought my brother one of thes clunks for xmas this year….i found a 50% at the belkin sotre code so it was 50 bucks….about 49 to much…

cheap plastic
size fo teh ipod
drains the ipod battery (not much you can do there…if you hook the ipod to a comp you can get about 1.5 gb of transfer till it goes out…that was usb 1.1 though so a lot more with 2.0 or FW)
SLOWER THEN SIN!!!!

if you have a 512 cf or sd card your ipod battery will be about gone when you are done….thank god for a buffer when listening to music!!!

and dont buy it!

he sold it on ebay for 100 bucks and i got nothing!!!:(

Posted by rivlinm on April 21, 2004 at 1:25 PM (PDT)

so does this deal work with the Sony Memory sticks?  the biggest stick i’ll have is 128MB cause i’m not like a photo pro or anything.

Posted by TRiPod on April 21, 2004 at 2:21 PM (PDT)

This product works with any camera that uses a USB connection and is thus independent from what media your camera is using.

Posted by Wired on April 21, 2004 at 3:12 PM (PDT)

didnt this thing just come out, how did you (rivlinm) get one last christmas? are you mixing up this and the media reader?

Posted by wtf on April 21, 2004 at 3:59 PM (PDT)

now you can run the batteries down on your camera to! ba… unless it’s quicker than the last reader, what’s the point?

Posted by ba on April 21, 2004 at 4:57 PM (PDT)

Are there any digital cameras that use firewire as the interface for transfer? It would be advantageous in this case because firewire is a peer to peer protocol, unlike USB, which is strictly host and client (thus, this product serves as the host bridge between the client ipod and camera).

With FW, devices like these will become useless, as all you need then is a cable between the iPod and the camera. A modified firmware can do the rest. However, this is still too good to be true, as I have not seen a single firewire enabled camera.

Posted by Sraphim on April 21, 2004 at 8:17 PM (PDT)

LOL, yes my brother meant the old media reader, and it was slow as sin.  I took it on a vacation to Chicago and decided not to use it at all and just use 2 256 mb CF cards.

Anyway I solf it for 90 on amazon minus their collection, so yes I made about 25 on the deal.

Posted by AMRivlin on April 21, 2004 at 9:32 PM (PDT)

on ebay you could get a big ol’ memory card for $90..i’d just get an extra $90 card and be set wink

Posted by Boaguy on April 22, 2004 at 7:44 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >