Belkin Releases Voice Recorder for 3G iPods | iLounge News

Belkin Releases Voice Recorder for 3G iPods

pic Belkin has released a new voice recorder ($50) for 3G iPods (Mac or Windows) and requires iPod Software 2.1.

“With the new voice recording features, iPod users can use a Belkin Voice Recorder to record and instantly review over 600 hours of lectures, interviews or notes on a 40GB iPod. Once the iPod is connected to a Mac or Windows PC, the voice notes are automatically synced with the computer just like songs and playlists are synced in the iTunes library. These audio recordings are stored in WAV file format and can be easily edited or even sent to others via email. The Belkin Voice Recorder for iPod is the first third-party voice recording accessory to take advantage of these new capabilities in iPod. Belkin

Belkin Press Release excerpt:

Belkin Voice Recorder for iPod (F8E462)

Comments

What on earth ios going on? $100 for recording? And $50 for a media card reader? And pay extra for FM again? Belkin are taking a cue from Apple and extorting too much money for cheap hacked gadgets.

I am *this* close to changing my iPod for one of the new players with recording, FM, and compact flash built in! For one thing, even with all the extra hardware, they are half the price of a 3G 40GB! Wake up Apple smell the coffee and give us some real damn excuses to keep the faith!

I even read today that the butt-ugly but tiny Samsung Napster player has FM and recording. What the hell?

Posted by holykrap on October 16, 2003 at 2:23 PM (CDT)

You gotta be having a laugh!!

The license to print money for iPod accessories is gone beyond a joke. First the Belkin battery box, then the stupid cases & now this.

Don’t buy this rubbish until the style/price is acceptable. I want a recorder but I can get a mindisc for this money, this is just a mike! Oh wait it must have NASA approved Air Grip technology right? Or does it have a Ferrari engine in it? Get Real!!

AAaarrgghhh…..... this is soo annoying…..

Posted by DIVider on October 16, 2003 at 2:39 PM (CDT)

am I the only one who uses mine for music? who needs every littel gadget, the only one i could deem worth it would be the belkin mic (assuming the quality is nice) for recording a live show from the soundboard. That’d be interesting, if anyone tries this, let me know.

Posted by RegalBegal on October 16, 2003 at 2:44 PM (CDT)

The new iRiver is cute, small, and has analog recording and optical digital recording and output.

Posted by iriver on October 16, 2003 at 2:56 PM (CDT)

This will come in handy, as a journalist who keeps his iPod with him all the time.. the new mic for the iPod will help a lot with interviews and to keep voice memos when I need to remember something.

Posted by Basara on October 16, 2003 at 3:13 PM (CDT)

Couldn’t believe it was on the Apple euro site already.

Posted by Ashley Scott on October 16, 2003 at 3:19 PM (CDT)

So expensive :<

$30 and I would by it directly. But that’s just not Apple (or belkin, in this case).
They even charge over 30 bucks for a damn USB 2.0 cable, WAAAH. I’m angry.

$25-30 for the mic and $50 for the card reader would be reasonable prices.

Posted by Erty on October 16, 2003 at 4:31 PM (CDT)

I think this is very cool, but the price is a bit high.
However, its gives me a reason to replace my 5 gig iPod when I return to school next fall. Might even have a price drop by then, or an iPod that supports firewire 800.

Posted by tinfoil on October 16, 2003 at 4:43 PM (CDT)

Ok i didn’t even bother reading the non iPod posts here, if you’ve got some other (second rate) brand well I’m really happy for you.

Anyway the point is that the iPod is great, these accessories look great BUT its the unexplainable cost that is the issue. I carry a minidisc & ipod and now I can carry just the iPod, but it is quite unjustifiable to charge these prices. After all look at the Belkin battery box, the sum of its parts is just a pound (dollar) or two but MRP is so high. Its a bloomin’ rip off.

Well I need the mic so I’m gonna have to do something bad to get it it. Yep, I’m gonna sell myself. Thats right sell myself. Its a two-4-one offer. Alternatively i will use a PC. Nothing more just use a Windows based machine. The pain!! Maybe when I’m sitting there using Windooos I may look in something called Kazaa++ - and single handedly put the music business out of business!! hahahaha

Then i will get locked up, get mistaken for somebody’s prison bitch but i will always say the Belkin MIC is too expensive..

there

Posted by DIVider on October 16, 2003 at 4:52 PM (CDT)

It’s easy to dwell on things unnecessarily, i’m going to bed now.

Posted by DIVider on October 16, 2003 at 5:00 PM (CDT)

The recording feature could have been great if they had offered a stereo line input and or a mic input.  I would use it for live music recording via mic or direct sound board.  Instead they make a crappy mono condenser mic?  This will appeal to a few people but this could have made the ipod a viable allternative to mini disc and DAT.  Maybe next time.

Posted by cougardew on October 16, 2003 at 5:03 PM (CDT)

DIVider, if you always had your head stuck in the sand then you’d never have seen the iPod, would you? Don’t close yourself to new possibilities and improvements.

I see the new iRiver 20/40GB model has both analog and optical digital inputs and outputs. It’s not “second-rate”, as you’d know if you’d ever auditioned one. I wouldn’t put it’s S/N quality up there with a Zen, but it’s definitely superior to the 2G iPod’s. I can’t comment on 3Gs because I haven’t auditioned one yet. Did Apple improve the quality of the output for the 3G?

Posted by iRiver on October 16, 2003 at 5:57 PM (CDT)

Cosider that Apple designed the iPod without any consideration whatsoever for adding accessories or peripherals. In the name of clean surfaces, there are no attachment features anywhere that either the Belkin Battery Backup, the new Media Reader, or anything else for that matter can hook up to. Hence, everything has to be attached via cables, suction cups, etc., and make the iPod larger than it is now.
I think Belkin have done a good job staying in line with Apple’s designs. If you want Apple accessories, you’d pay a lot more for each of these products, guaranteed!

Posted by Bademeister on October 17, 2003 at 12:04 AM (CDT)

Rubbish

Posted by DIVider on October 17, 2003 at 2:56 AM (CDT)

OK It’s a new product - the price will drop within a few months. Just sit back and wait for the price change. I think a lot of people get excited when something new comes out, then rush out and buy it and complain later when the price drops. Don’t buy it unless you NEED it NOW. If you don’t want to pay that much for the mic, then you shouldn’t mind waiting. Right?

Another thing…
I remember reading somewhere that when you go into diagnostic mode, there is a ‘record’ option, and the ipod can record sound through the left earbud. If this is true, why are they making us buy an expensive mic? The sound quality wouldn’t be fantastic, but I imagine it would be adequate for personal memo’s.

Posted by dottz on October 17, 2003 at 6:49 AM (CDT)

Rubbish again, look at the Battery box, the price ain’t gonna drop. Its an oppotunity for campanies to rip off their customers, much like the high street music shops. I noted that many CD’s at Virgin in the UK are as much as

Posted by DIVider on October 17, 2003 at 8:55 AM (CDT)

Don’t worry.  I’m sure in a couple weeks Griffin Technology will announce that they have a new product called the “pod mic” or whatever and it’ll have a stereo line in, a mic in, dual headphone jacks and a stereo line out.  It’ll cost $29.99 and be delayed 15 times over the course of 8 months, much to the aggravation of everyone who posts here at ipodlounge :)

Posted by Zim on October 17, 2003 at 9:01 AM (CDT)

by the way the iriver looks pants, nothing wrong with the output of the 3G iPod.

I choose Apple & iPod because i don’t want Mediocrity…  ever heard of Form & Function?

Posted by DIVider on October 17, 2003 at 10:22 AM (CDT)

“nothing wrong with the output of the 3G iPod”

Have you done a blind comparison listening test of identical audio file output from several players? I have. As I said, I have not tested the 3G, but the 2G has a definite noise floor and lacks clarity compared to some other players. Now, it’s better than some (Archos, Riot) but worse than others (Zen, iHP).

” choose Apple & iPod because i don’t want Mediocrity… ever heard of Form & Function”

You are defining your personality by the brand you buy? Well done! That’s exactly how marketeers want you to think.

However, ever hear of “don’t judge a book by the cover”? The iPod’s battery life is poor, its audio quality output is mediocre, it lacks digital output, it lacks built-in recording, stereo recording ability, and digital recording. It’s upper capacity limit is 40Gb (other players have reached 80GB). It lacks built-in support for media cards, FM reception or broadcasting, or video playback and/or recording. It supports very few media formats, and still has issues with VBR MP3s.

I can get some or all this functionality with other players. WHat I don;t get, of course, is compactness and a white clamshell that scratches easily.

You and I, my friend, obviously have different aesthetics and a different sense of what it is to be mediocre.

Posted by iRiver on October 17, 2003 at 11:31 AM (CDT)

Quality, along with a plethora of other things in life, is subjective. To many people, the audio quality and features offered on the ipod are perfectly fine, and unless you are an audio engineer/sound technician, you probably don’t know the difference between extremely high quality audio, and ‘ok’ audio.
I think the audio quality is just fine.
As far as complaining about features -or lack thereof- on the ipod, you knew what you were paying for - why not be happy with it? If you made the purchase hoping that it would accept other audio formats in the future, have added features, or even make a cup of tea for you, then all I can say is, you have more money than sense. Don’t buy something you are not 100% happy with, especially when there are no guarantees that there will be major changes in the future. The fact that the new update allows for audio recording is great - and the few that will find this feature of use can buy the extra bits to let you do that. Like another user said - in a week griffin will come out with a mic, and then everyone else will jump on the bandwagon and come up with something else that costs less.

Apple have stuck with the essentials. If they add a million other features, like built in audio recording, then it will have a major effect on the price. And lets face it, they are already rather expensive. By keeping it simple, they are able to reach a wider audience. Out of everyone in the world who owns an iPod, probably only 10% of those people would find audio recording useful and necessary to their day to day lives. What’s the point in paying for something that has 50 amazing features, when you only use 5 of them?

Posted by dottz on October 17, 2003 at 12:14 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >