Best-Selling Author Neil Gaiman on the iSkin | iLounge News

Best-Selling Author Neil Gaiman on the iSkin

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Saturday, November 8, 2003
News Categories: iPod Accessories

“As a side comment: I loved the iSkin for the original iPod. It made the thing better: harder to scratch or to damage, harder to touch keys by accident, it made it easier to transport, and look cool. [...]

The trouble is, the new iSkins make the thing work less well. The bottom of my iSkin has now been cut off to allow it to sit in the dock of the iPod speakers. The recessed keys are harder to get to and to press properly (and the “lock” key is almost impossible to get to). The microphone-notes attachment doesn’t work with the iSkin in place.”

« iPods and more in Japan

TechNewsWorld: Napster: ‘We Will Take Market Share from Apple’ »

Comments

Riveting…I am so glad that ipodlounge.com posted this, i feel like a new man…

Posted by Rob on November 8, 2003 at 4:35 PM (PDT)

wow…...wow….wow.  What a fantastic piece of literacy.  The way he downgrades the iskin sends shivers down my spine.  Simply brilliant.
P.S.  I guess because he is a best-selling author we should all listen.

Posted by iPodforlife on November 8, 2003 at 4:45 PM (PDT)

Darling, it’s so charming that Neil Gaiman. I threw out my three iSkins as soon as I read his riveting comments. Shabby, shabby. What should we do next, dear leader?

Posted by RIAAlova on November 8, 2003 at 5:29 PM (PDT)

Geeze, guys… a little defensive of your precious iPod condoms?  You know… they AREN’T perfect for everyone.  wink

Never thought eXo fanboys would be more defensive than Mac fanboys.

Posted by azdude_15gb on November 8, 2003 at 6:15 PM (PDT)

The vaja case kicks the crap out of the exo, and I love the exo.

Posted by ralflord on November 8, 2003 at 6:39 PM (PDT)

Apple fanboys.

What do you expect?

Everyone just has to agree with you, don’t they?

Posted by Squibbles on November 8, 2003 at 6:51 PM (PDT)

I could not disagree with Gaiman more.  It;s not that he criticized it, it’s that he doesn’t seem to get the fact that slicing it open was a pretty drastic response…

It’s entirely possible to mod it to flip open, or to simply pop the top off the dock and it fits right in.

If he had asked around, or read this site, he’d have discovered the solution to at least one of his complaints at the ready.

Posted by stark23x on November 8, 2003 at 7:05 PM (PDT)

Yes I agree the vaja cases are amazing, but the exo is slightly easier on the wallet

Posted by iPodforlife on November 8, 2003 at 7:49 PM (PDT)

This guy is just stating facts…...

Posted by jmc in noitacol on November 9, 2003 at 12:00 AM (PDT)

WOW this guy must be bored…or suffering from creative block.
If he doesn’t like the exo iskin, then get something else or don’t put a case on it. Why type about it and put it on your site? Maybe he has shares in vaja or somethin. hehe
I LOVE my iskin to bits. I don’t have any problems with the lock thing, and pressing the buttons shouldn’t be a problem unless you have weird fingers *shrugs*Dock access doesn’t bother me. You can just plug the ipod in to the cord, or pop the bottom of the ipod out through the round hole. It’s made out of silicone, so shouldn’t lose it’s shape if left like that. There is no way I would cut the bottom off it! Might as well cut up a couple of $20 bills. This guy has rocks in his head…

Posted by dotts on November 9, 2003 at 12:07 AM (PDT)

>>If he doesn’t like the exo iskin, then get something else or don’t put a case on it. Why type about it and put it on your site?

Uhh… so you’re saying that all bloggers should shut up? I don’t see anything wrong with him posting his opinions on his personal site. You may not agree with him, fine! That’s your prerogative. But he has the right to state his opinions on his personal webpage, and I don’t understand why you guys blast him for that.

Posted by ketsugi on November 9, 2003 at 4:27 AM (PDT)

No - I’m saying that he should stop crying over it. Like someone else said - ‘because he is a best-selling author we should all listen.’ haha

Anyone with common sense (and there aren’t many people with it) would tell you that there are other ways of going around problems. You don’t have to cut the case in half to make it work.

Posted by dotts on November 9, 2003 at 4:34 AM (PDT)

Maybe I’m an odd one too, but I think he pretty much sums it up just right. I have a G2 with an iSkin and I love it. I just got a 40G G3 and got an iSkin for that and I hate it. Everytime I try to run through a long list of files I find the thickness makes me ‘hit’ the center button instead of ‘spin’ the wheel. And I have about a 50% chance of getting a button to respond. I’ll have to see what one of the new xSkin is like.

Posted by bsoplinger on November 9, 2003 at 5:39 AM (PDT)

I often find that hitting the track forward button is difficult with my eXo on :(

Posted by Bobo on November 9, 2003 at 6:08 AM (PDT)

Jeez, guys - a little _touchy_, aren’t you?  Gaiman’s just offering his opinion, the same as the rest of us.  As it happens, I agree, though I didn’t cut the bottom off of mine in retaliation.  I just don’t use it.  It _is_ hard to dock the iPod while it’s in the case, and if you people don’t have trouble getting to the ‘hold’ switch and the other buttons through it, then you must have much longer, thinner fingers than me.  Looks good, protects well, but it’s pretty impractical from my (subjective) viewpoint.  If you love yours, then my opinion (or Gaiman’s) shouldn’t diminish that fact.

Posted by IClaudius on November 9, 2003 at 7:58 AM (PDT)

So a guy just got crushed for posting an opinion he had, on his own site which no one forces you to go to, by individuals on a board that is all about posting your own opinion.

Nice.

Posted by SpideyPod on November 9, 2003 at 8:00 AM (PDT)

i still have the stock case, but searching for the perfect one. i was worried about what that author said, so it kinda is another grain of salt.

kinda funny seeing people going nuts about this guy’s opinion. relax you uptight fanboys

Posted by Fiddytree on November 9, 2003 at 8:41 AM (PDT)

NO KIDDING.. I never knew what a fanboy was until I became an ipodlounge member.. pathetic people.. relax…

Posted by bababooey on November 9, 2003 at 11:45 AM (PDT)

I agree with Gaiman. I own two of the iskins as well as the recorder and the itrip. It is a hassle to get the recorder plugged in and it’s a hassle to plug the itrip in as well. Even with those 2 flaws I still like the case and the price overall ($15.00 on some sites). Price, looks and overall design makes it worth the frustration of peeling the top back every time I make voice recordings or use it in the car.

Posted by Game Theory on November 9, 2003 at 12:42 PM (PDT)

What is the point of this “iskin” for an iPod? I thought the iPod was the last word in design, esthetics, and quality. If it is so perfect, why do people want to cover it with different colors and textures, and bulk it out?

Could it be that the “any color as long as it’s white” doesn’t work for many people?

Is this why there are so many 3rd party addons for the iPod, that the base Apple design is so ugly and lacks so many features that companies see a lucrative market in making all these useless extra gizmos?

Posted by Whassup on November 9, 2003 at 1:13 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >