Best-Selling Author Neil Gaiman on the iSkin | iLounge News

Best-Selling Author Neil Gaiman on the iSkin

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Saturday, November 8, 2003
News Categories: iPod Accessories

“As a side comment: I loved the iSkin for the original iPod. It made the thing better: harder to scratch or to damage, harder to touch keys by accident, it made it easier to transport, and look cool. [...]

The trouble is, the new iSkins make the thing work less well. The bottom of my iSkin has now been cut off to allow it to sit in the dock of the iPod speakers. The recessed keys are harder to get to and to press properly (and the “lock” key is almost impossible to get to). The microphone-notes attachment doesn’t work with the iSkin in place.”

« iPods and more in Japan

TechNewsWorld: Napster: ‘We Will Take Market Share from Apple’ »

Comments

bsoplinger you simply have too big fingers wink

The buttons aren’t harder to press. They’re even better as you can “feel” them.
The hole for the hold switch is too small, yes. But how often do you even have to use the hold feature when you have an iSkin?
I use it maybe once a week.

Posted by Erty on November 9, 2003 at 2:26 PM (PDT)

“I own two of the iskins as well as the recorder and the itrip. It is a hassle to get the recorder plugged in and it’s a hassle to plug the itrip in as well.”

See there is your problem right there. You are expanding something that was not meant to be expanded: the iPod. It’s a low-end music player, not a multi-function device.

If you want integration and performance, get an iRiver or Neuros or something that comes with recording and FM reception and transmission built-in. Less hassle, more integration, better performance, and lower price!

I’m sorry, but the image of some poor hapless pod person frantically juggling all these sub-standard add-ons to jig up an iPod on the go seems faintly ludicrous. All designed devices have domains of competence and suitability and you and your needs have obviously exceeded the convenient designed reach of the iPod. Time to trade up!

Posted by reason on November 9, 2003 at 2:31 PM (PDT)

An iSkin is like a condom for your iPod, only with a silkier feel. I just wish they made them in blackberry as well, yum!

Posted by bra on November 9, 2003 at 2:32 PM (PDT)

Bah I just use saran wrap.

Posted by hamp on November 9, 2003 at 3:08 PM (PDT)

Ghetto tongue laugh

Posted by dotts on November 9, 2003 at 3:14 PM (PDT)

In Canada I was an artist for 25 years and my 3 galleries representing over 30 artists. During that time I had many art critics write about my work and my business. At the end of the day I kept score by how people responded and supported me by purchasing my paintings.  I am happy to see that eXo is drawing so much attention that people want to write about it, I get requests all the time to review it. EXo has sold over 50,000 and that is just in 100+ locations and has generated over 8000 emails telling me that I am on the right track and about 100 telling me to find a new career. I cannot imagine what the sales will be like when eXo is handled by BestBuy with over 600 location and Apple Stores and some of the other majors.  I am smart enough to know that there is no one product out there that will satisfy everyone so as long as 8000+ people think something is right with eXo I will continue to make it and try to design new products that will match or better eXos success.

Posted by Lajo on November 9, 2003 at 4:25 PM (PDT)

Frankly, I’m glad Neil did grumble. I have a skin from Speck, which is OK but…. my main beef is when you flip up the bottom to plug it in (as when I’m driving in the car) scrolling the dial becomes very difficult. You can only get about a 1/4 or 1/2 turn because the case is in the way, and it takes forever to scroll through things that way. Since he *did* grumble, some one reading his blog suggested the PodSleevz as an alternative - which is one skin I hadn’t found in my own searches for alternatives - and it looks like a winner for my purposes.

I wish Apple would just design the thing like the cellphone people - custom faceplates easily available from all kinds of sources. And if people weren’t interested in this sort of thing then they wouldn’t be selling in the zillions like they are with phones. I for one can’t stand the cold, clinical whiteness of the iPod. I love it overall, but I like my technology warm n fuzzy (sue me!).

Posted by snoopygirl in Indianapolis on November 9, 2003 at 5:17 PM (PDT)

“If you want integration and performance, get an iRiver or Neuros.”

Reason, you have none. I had an iriver ip 120 and didn’t like it. The design is clunky and the backlight is headache inducing. However, that is beside the point.

It is completely reasonable that individuals would want to see expandability and improvements in a product that they enjoy. Look at the mod community in video games. Look at the custom car community. Heck, look at the OS you are using to read my post and type a response. Your logic wouldn’t even allow us to have this dialogue.

The ipod works great for me as does the iskin. I see room for improvement. By the looks of ####’s post above I believe that he would agree.

Posted by Game Theory on November 9, 2003 at 5:21 PM (PDT)

Or you could just stick with a 2d gen iPod and skin.  No problems there at all:  neither with the design of the iPod nor with the iSkin.

So there.

Posted by Yukon Corneleone on November 10, 2003 at 9:15 AM (PDT)

I wish I didn’t have to wrap my IPOD with anything. I have a sony clie handheld that has a nice textured metal surface that is impervious to scratches and can be easily cleaned. The lilly-white faux-modern IPOD is so fragile in comparison. Also…I wish IPOD came in black to match my PC. Like maybe a magnesium alloy casing, like they use in high-end cameras. Just something a little sturdier since it is a portable product. For now, I am using my IPOD raw. I am gentle with it since I do love it so much.

Posted by judgejudy on November 10, 2003 at 4:14 PM (PDT)

judgejudy, I was thinking of buying an iPod but now you’ve scared me off. Is the case on the new ones cheap and nasty? I hate that cheap plastic feel on my electronics. Cameras, PDAs, they all benefit from brushed metal.

Is the case on the older iPods better? Should I try and get one from eBay? If a covering is necessary, are there any deals that give me a free case with purchase? These things are expensive and I don’t want it looking scuffed within a week or two!

Posted by cautiousJill on November 10, 2003 at 4:35 PM (PDT)

The cases on all generations of iPods are a combination of plastic and chrome.

From the moment you take it out of the box and touch it, the chrome gets fingerprints and is susceptible to scratches.

That said, the iPod is a revolutionary device if you care at all about music.  So many others have said this better I’m sure, but the iPod is a smartly designed device enabling you to carry around your entire music collection at all times, all sorted out the way you want it sorted out.

I suggest you look for a used or new 2d generation iPod.  You should be able to find a 20 GB model for under $200.  That’s 4000 songs.  Although slightly bigger, the 2d gen iPods don’t need/use the cluttering docking station, and what’s more, you can get accessories for the 2d gen iPods at substantial savings.

Rock on.

Posted by Yukon Corneleone on November 11, 2003 at 11:18 AM (PDT)

Yes, I’m sure that’s what he was thinking… “I’ll ##### about my iskins and then noone will want to by them!  Mwahahahaha!”  (Works even better with the new scary beard)  grin

Posted by Jen on November 12, 2003 at 10:03 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2