Beware of iPod net scams | iLounge News

Beware of iPod net scams

NTK.net UK has highlighted a net scam targeting potential buyers of iPod. It mentions eBay UK auctions featuring a pyramid scam “where you pay your money to get onto a list (sometimes called a “matrix”), and apparently receive your gadget after a certain number of other people join up, who then get theirs after their quota join, and so on.”

« How the ‘other half’ live (without iPod)

New iPod auto installs and photos »

Comments

These schemes are rampant all over eBay

Can’t believe suckers actually fall for it…

Posted by Inspector Gadget on February 9, 2004 at 3:06 PM (CST)

I used to participate on these last year. They were very popular and I actually made about $1500 off of the matrixes.

Posted by Dan on February 9, 2004 at 3:26 PM (CST)

So you’re admitting to scamming people? Hmm, good.

Posted by CAleb on February 9, 2004 at 4:13 PM (CST)

No I never said I scammed people. I didn’t sell that info on ebay. I find out about matrices on a search engine and gave them $100 for a Palm Tungsten T and my name was at the top of the list and I got around $950. I did a few more and made some more money. I didn’t run any matrices or sell the info on ebay so I didn’t scam anyone.

Posted by Dan on February 9, 2004 at 8:32 PM (CST)

actually some point to:

This IS legit, and I have gotten a 15 gb ipod, $75 in free giftcards to various places, free movie tickets, free stamps and scale from them for around $38.

It is about a days work and not for the lazy :)

its all worth it lol

Then i traded the 15 gig for a 40 gig with my friend :)

Read this:

Posted by ranova on February 9, 2004 at 10:34 PM (CST)

oh read this also:

they brought up the point cost for the ipod, it was 12000, now its 14000 and now they are missing some of the big point deals, so itll be harder to do so now

Posted by ranova on February 9, 2004 at 10:35 PM (CST)

Heheheh. “the callous targeting of potential iPod purchasers - by definition, an unusually suggestible and vulnerable segment of society.”
Class.

Posted by doctorjuggles on February 10, 2004 at 4:37 AM (CST)

Matrix schemes are not illegal per se (pyramid schemes are). Fact is, you’re buying some cheap stuff (e.g., a CD full of ringtones for your mobile) and the fact that you’re now on a waiting list for that nifty new mobile (or Ipod, or whatever) is just an added bonus.  Of course, at the end of the day, the two schemes are very similar insofar as the more people get sucked in, the less chance that they will be enough people down the line to bring the former on the top of the waiting list.  The early bird catches the worm as they say

Posted by hhvuong on February 10, 2004 at 9:33 AM (CST)

I know a guy named David who thinks he is Puff Daddy. He ate his iPod. He thinks he is so great and can beat up anyone.

Posted by Joe on March 14, 2004 at 8:26 AM (CST)

What do you think is going on here?  It seems like they’re using the auctions to first collect funds tothen buy the iPods This may be why it takes so long to deliver the item.  But I wonder- if they don’t get enough that they just stall forever and then refund your money (at least it seems they do eventually refund peoples $) .  Oddly I couldn’t find too many people who had really saved all that much.  I am curious where he/she is getting all those iPods though.

Posted by Fiona on March 20, 2004 at 11:50 PM (CST)

I took part in a matrix system for a mobile phone. I got to the top of the list in the end of march and two days ago i got my phone. Yes it is good if your at the top and you can move up the ladder if you get people to join. But if your, say tenth on the list your not likly to ever get the so called FREE GIFT especially if the list takes 30 people before you get one. Guess i was just lucky. If you do take part in one make sure its brand new and people are not on the site. Also i was just wondering…. what if the mobile phone is stopped production wise??? What would happen to all the people who wanted the phone and on the site? Say over a thousand have joined, what would they do, if the phone is no longer in production? Me thinks very unhappy people!!!

Posted by Starsky on May 21, 2004 at 7:40 AM (CDT)