Blitzsafe working with Apple on iPod adapter for car | iLounge News

Blitzsafe working with Apple on iPod adapter for car

Update: An anonymous reader has sent us the contents of a reply email from Blitzsafe:

“We did start a basic interface for the iPod, I do not think before September or October, We are working with Apple now. We do have the Aux interface available at this time, you will use the iPod to control function, or you may wait. Stay tuned.”

Wanted to let the iPodophiles know that Blitzsafe, the makers of the auxillary input adapters, is working directly with Apple (according to Blitzsafe, .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)) to create an adapter (for cd changer ready headunits) that will not only provide the audio input but also allow the headunit’s controls to control the iPod. I’ve not gotten confirmation on providing a power source for the iPod via this adapter, but headunits normally send 12v to the changer. The adapter probably won’t be ready before September/October time frame for general release.

Great news, especially since my iPod continually tries to kill me when I’m driving (distracting me while I should be braking, turning or just paying attention in general).

Editor’s note: Blitzsafe has confirmed this to be true in an email to iLounge with a simple ‘yes.’ No other information was provided.

« VW Audio Interface Adapter

Bose Announces QuietComfort 2 headphones »

Comments

I don’t trust one word responses… ;)

Posted by contagion in FL USA on June 18, 2003 at 9:55 AM (CDT)

Be so kind and provide us with the name of general area where you drive. Just to make sure I never drive that way. Thanks.

PS: I also avoid all of you cell phone drivers. What idiots.

Posted by pbox on June 18, 2003 at 11:19 AM (CDT)

It’s called humor…

Posted by mp on June 18, 2003 at 12:53 PM (CDT)

I have a question? In my car I replaced the stock CD Player, with a Pioneer DEH-3400, When I put it in I saw a red and white (RCA) jack on the back of it. I’m not sure if this is input or output, or what the heck it is for. Also if it is for input how would you select it in the menu, because right now you can go to “CD, and Radio” so how would that work. Thanks.

Posted by Sam Stringer-Hye on June 18, 2003 at 3:29 PM (CDT)

If it is an RCA input, you can use an RCA connector with 2 male ends and a 3.5mm jack.  Once it is plugged in, your receiver should recognize it as “AUX” or something like that.

Posted by Marvin Hayag on June 18, 2003 at 3:50 PM (CDT)

thanks a bunch, Im gonna go get a RCA/Minijack converter tonight.

Posted by Sam Stringer-Hye on June 18, 2003 at 4:14 PM (CDT)

Be careful, if it’s a pre out it might cook your ipod.  I would read the manual that came with the Pioneer.

Posted by cougardew on June 18, 2003 at 4:58 PM (CDT)

I’ve got it connected, and its playing through only the back speakers. Can anyone tell me why? thanks.

Posted by Sam Stringer-Hye on June 18, 2003 at 7:22 PM (CDT)

Also, I have to set it to “CD” and just pause the CD otherwise itll play on top of it.

Posted by Sam Stringer-Hye on June 18, 2003 at 7:22 PM (CDT)

seems like that RCA input is for your CD changer. You can burn a 60 minute silence CD. And use it with that.

Posted by pbox on June 18, 2003 at 7:31 PM (CDT)

what are preouts exactly?

Posted by Sam Stringer-Hye on June 18, 2003 at 7:31 PM (CDT)

It still wont play out the front speakers

Posted by Sam Stringer-Hye on June 18, 2003 at 7:33 PM (CDT)

Also, Does anyone have any good reccomendations on FM transmitters? I dont want the Itrip because I would like to connect other things to the Transmitter. And you can’t connect the Itrip to anything but the ipod. And please under 50 dollars.

Posted by Sam Stringer-Hye on June 18, 2003 at 7:50 PM (CDT)

The sound quality of the iTrip or any FM transmitter is orders of magnitude less than that of a direct input.

Check out:

Go to page 11 for a how to for 3G iPods.

Posted by Alric on June 18, 2003 at 8:19 PM (CDT)

I know, but I dont want to go through all that trouble, I want to get an FM Transmitter, so which is the best one besides the iTrip

Posted by Sam Stringer-Hye on June 18, 2003 at 8:25 PM (CDT)

I don’t know of any specific brands but everythingipod.com has a FM transmitter on sale for about $28.  If you would rather not wait for delivery you can probably find one at your local RadioShack.  Although, I have to agree that you lose some sound quality by using this type of my device.  But, if you’re satisfied with it, then that’s all that matters.

Posted by Marvin Hayag on June 18, 2003 at 8:37 PM (CDT)

pbox:

preouts are for connecting an external amplifier to your headunit.  Think of it as a line out.  Since the HU has an internal amp, the preout bypasses that so it sends the unaltered signal to your external amplifier.

Posted by anonymous on June 19, 2003 at 11:34 AM (CDT)

same here I was able to connect the ipod to pioneer throw the RCA in the back of it, however it only playes in the back speaker.
If you able to make the ipod as source unit it will play fine in all four speaker try it.

Posted by gaab on September 10, 2004 at 12:54 PM (CDT)