Bluetooth Headphones for iPod | iLounge News

Bluetooth Headphones for iPod

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, December 17, 2003
News Categories: iPod Accessories

iLounge has spoken with a representative from company ‘X’ about a Bluetooth headphone set being developed and we will be one of the first to beta test the device. No further details can be divulged at this time, but we’ll post more at a later date.

« How tall are you in iPods?

New iPod Battery Technology »

Comments

Bluetooth? Wireless iPod phones???

I’ve - just - shot - my - load

:-0

Posted by David Bunghole on December 17, 2003 at 9:58 AM (PDT)

I don’t care what method is used, I just want wireless headphones. I hate cables.

Posted by kainjow on December 17, 2003 at 10:04 AM (PDT)

As long as these things are white, count me in!!!

Posted by k-rock in USA on December 17, 2003 at 10:12 AM (PDT)

Finally. Who didn’t see this coming? I mean, just about everything Apple is doing is either bluetooth or wi-fi.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on December 17, 2003 at 10:20 AM (PDT)

Remember, the iPod is a PortalPlayer device…

Impulsesoft Private Limited, a leading short-range wireless solutions provider, and PortalPlayer, Inc., a leading supplier of digital audio platforms for consumer electronics, announced the release of a high quality Bluetooth stereo audio solution for portable music players. The solution provides a ready-to-manufacture implementation for both the Bluetooth-enabled portable player and the Bluetooth stereo headset.

The solution uses PortalPlayer’s audio system-on-chip and firmware and Impulsesoft‘s Bluetooth components, while the stereo headphone is based on iWISH – Impulsesoft Wireless Stereo Headphone. Built around iBTStack™ – Impulsesoft’s embedded Bluetooth protocol stack, and PortalPlayer’s Development Platform, the solution delivers 44.1 KHz and 48 KHz, 16-bit stereo at a low bill-of-material cost and with long battery life.

Impulsesoft is a short-range wireless solutions company, headquartered in Bangalore India with a branch office in California. Impulsesoft enables OEMs to deliver wireless multimedia services to Personal Area Network devices using its standards-based systems, short-range wireless solutions and software platforms. Impulsesoft, with distributors and VARs worldwide, is an early adopter and Associate Member of the Bluetooth Special Interest Group.

Posted by TrollKing on December 17, 2003 at 10:27 AM (PDT)

Did I log onto iPodlounge or PR Newswire?

I thought this was iPodlounge, but every time I see someone post one of their press releases here I wonder about that.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on December 17, 2003 at 11:38 AM (PDT)

Atomic Bomb:

We wonder as well… TrollKing is the same person that keeps trolling/spamming iPodlounge comment areas with links and company info… all the time. I don’t understand the motivation behind it all. I am officially asking TrollKing to please not post such things in the future. Otherwise we will ban his/her IP address(es).

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 17, 2003 at 11:49 AM (PDT)

What do you mean? That comment couldn’t be more germane to the discussion. It speaks to probable future internal Bluetooth in iPods, among other things.

Posted by Fie on December 17, 2003 at 12:09 PM (PDT)

Perhaps I’m missing something here, but wouldn’t a bluetooth earphone thing have to have a built in compression encoder and decoder (encoder on ipod, decoder on bluetooth headset), because the sound would be uncompressed coming out of the ipod and even when bluetooth is at it’s theoretical max then it wouldn’t be able to handle these kind of transfer rates.

Unless maybe this thing hooks up to the firewire port instead, which would make sense i guess. But you would still need a decoder on the headset.

That’s how I see it anyway.

Posted by Dave on December 17, 2003 at 12:14 PM (PDT)

You are correct, Dave. These wouldn’t be earbuds, that’s for sure. I could see a larger set of headphones to accommodate the decoder and to house the batteries that would be needed to power them. They would be nice around the office.

And as for the comment by “Fie” about that PR post being “germane” to the discussion, my only response is that no matter how often the troll changes his name, he’s still the same troll. Whether he’s “TrollKing” or “Fie” or “WWSD” or whatever.

I vote for IP banning for this troll!

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on December 17, 2003 at 12:20 PM (PDT)

wow, this would be awesome. i would love bluetooth headphones

Posted by bb_dg on December 17, 2003 at 12:26 PM (PDT)

Yes, Fie, it is relevant to the discussion, but more often than not it isn’t.
Atomic Bomb: Fie is not TrollKing.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 17, 2003 at 12:29 PM (PDT)

I find this to be impressive and intriguing at first glance, but I’m sleptical about how expensive this may become. This technology is currently rarely seen in cellular headsets which usually retail over $100. Add on high quality stereo audio speakers, and the price will likely soar to near-B&O levels (>$175). Unless a name of repute is attached to this product, I wonder if anybody is likely to put down that much cash for a set of headphones.

Posted by Bademeister on December 17, 2003 at 1:42 PM (PDT)

—no matter how often the troll changes his name, he’s still the same troll—

i do not understand this. so what you’re saying is you shall always distrust what people say? i do not think i could live like that. do you have children? have you not ever heard “do not judge a book by the covers?” or “speak as you want to listen?” now every time some one says some thing you will distrust it? i have used bluetooth adapter like this one described earlier from the indian company and it worked very well the profile is set up so i could use it with my nokia as well so hopefully this will prevail with ipod as well, inshallah. there is too much hate here and too many people shooting messengers and messages. it reminds me of iraq. all peoples deserve a voice without having to become afraid of bullets or sanctions. i think i shall return to listening to my ipod in peace and quiet.

lla yhennik and ma’ al-salama

Posted by ybrahim on December 17, 2003 at 1:56 PM (PDT)

I’m also sick of people pretending to post comments when they are really just marketing their product.

It’s like that Media Center 9 guy who posts that same MC9 comment again and again…

Posted by me too on December 17, 2003 at 2:11 PM (PDT)

Just curious me too. Who would that Media Center guy be?

Posted by scrins on December 17, 2003 at 2:25 PM (PDT)

boooooooooring

Posted by Bademeister on December 17, 2003 at 3:02 PM (PDT)

but if two people have two ipods with bluetooth how do u keep them from interfering? and can u set it so other people could tune in?

Posted by apolsky on December 17, 2003 at 4:53 PM (PDT)

MC9 and TrollKing are the same person.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 17, 2003 at 6:03 PM (PDT)

NOOB!!!!!!

Posted by stasyna on December 17, 2003 at 6:18 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >