BluPod iPod add-on offers Caller ID, radio features | iLounge News

BluPod iPod add-on offers Caller ID, radio features

image

Zenecom debuted a new Bluetooth iPod accessory with Caller ID functionality at this week’s IFA consumer electronics show in Berlin, Germany. When connected to an iPod and a call is received to a Bluetooth-compatible phone, the BluPod displays the caller’s number on the iPod’s screen and automatically turns down the music volume. The small, iPod shuffle-like device also functions as an FM radio and remote control. Pricing and availability for the BluPod were not announced. [via Gizmodo]

« Apple working to increase iTunes sales in Japan

Podfitness, Marware team up »

Comments

This really should have an a2dp profile.

Posted by meir on September 8, 2006 at 2:41 PM (CDT)

OK, I get a call, my cell phone is probably sitting on my hip on a belt clip where I can just peak down and see who’s calling, but why would I do that when I can bypass my cell phone and dig my iPod out of my pocket.

Once I see who’s calling all I got to do is put the iPod back in my pocket and then get my cell phone so I can answer the call.

I guess the cell phone’s caller ID is somehow inferior???

Posted by 3rdEye on September 9, 2006 at 2:54 AM (CDT)

Oh for the love of god.

AM PLEASE!!!!!!!!

I would jump at an anything with an AM/FM Radio for the iPod.

Posted by Peachey on September 9, 2006 at 6:34 AM (CDT)

Ipod accessories aren’t getting any better… =/ And they are a bit pricey too. I bet this thing costs like $65.

Posted by Jonathan on September 9, 2006 at 11:52 AM (CDT)

Who still listens to AM? The only thing I would ever listen to on AM is any traffic reports, but then I would also be in my car (which has a radio).

And I agree with 3rdEye, how would this make caller ID easier? I mean, once you’ve dug through your pocket for your iPod, checked who’s calling, you still have to reach for your cellphone, at which point, I’m pretty sure the call would have gone to voicemail.

Posted by Nobody on September 9, 2006 at 1:34 PM (CDT)

I can see how this could help me. I have my iPod mounted on the dash instead of just dangling around. My bluetooth enabled phone is sitting somewhere else where I can get it but not really see it. If someone were to call me I can look at the iPod which is still in LOS of the road and see who is calling without having to reach for my phone, take it out, take my eyes off the road and then see who is calling and decide if I want to answer or not.

Posted by Victor on September 9, 2006 at 8:13 PM (CDT)

If I am on the treadmill, and my phone is in my bag next to it, a call comes in that I need to take, I can pause my workout and take the call. A big thing if you are on call.

Posted by Max on September 10, 2006 at 10:36 PM (CDT)

AM Radio is all I listen to, seeing as all sports programs are on AM radio….

Posted by Eric on September 10, 2006 at 11:20 PM (CDT)

Eric, if AM Radio is really all you listen to, then you can just get yourself a tiny AM radio and save a ton of money not buying an iPod.

Posted by duh on September 11, 2006 at 11:29 AM (CDT)

3rdEye and Nobody,

Ever think that not everyone uses their devices the same way you do?
Trashing a feature just because it’s not useful for you personally seems somewhat silly.

Obviously the caller ID is still coming from the phone, this device is just providing one more display option - so why not?  The more important feature (for me) is the automatic adjustment of volume - I often miss calls when listening to my iPod because I can’t hear it ringing packed away in my bag.  Adding FM and a remote is nice as well.

Posted by Scott on September 11, 2006 at 11:41 AM (CDT)

This would be really powerful if you could use it as a bluetooth transmitter for your phone. Possibly have an inline mic on the earbuds. That way you could check the caller ID and take the call right from the iPod. Seems doable to me, no? In fact, I’m sure there are already products like this.

Posted by Jon Rubin on September 12, 2006 at 4:57 PM (CDT)

Jon has it right - why stop with just telling me I have a call coming in? Let me take the call on the headset too. That way I can leave my phone packed away but still be fully functional. I’ve missed many calls because I was listening to my iPod… and killed a 60G 5G iPod by dropping it while fumbling to get to my phone. A fully functional bluetooth headset connected to my iPod - I’d lay out the cash for it today.

Posted by Cory on October 9, 2006 at 2:41 PM (CDT)

I am a long distance bicycle rider and I would love to find a true wireless bluetooth remote that combines iPod and telephone functions. One that would allow me to listen to music,AM,and FM too. Stop the music with an incoming call, allow me to answer it, and continue with music, all with out having to touch eith the cell nor the iPod. This unit is not quiet wireless and is not really a remote for your telephone. If anyone knows of such a product, please let me know.

Posted by Escorpion on October 16, 2006 at 2:40 PM (CDT)

I am currently looking into Bluetooth/Cell Phone/iPod connectivity.  SO far, the only think that meets my criteria are the iMuffs.  But at $129 minimum, I can’t justify missing a few calls while I’m rocking out on the train.  If they could get those prices down to say $79, I’d jump on it pronto.  Perhaps I am just a cheapskate.  Is there any other product that can take calls and play iTunes through the headset?

Posted by Peter on October 27, 2006 at 12:33 PM (CDT)

Obviously the caller ID is still coming from the phonethis device is just providing one more display option - so why not?  The more important feature (for me) is the automatic adjustment of volume - I often miss calls when listening to my iPod because I can’t hear it ringing packed away in my bag.  Adding FM and a remote is nice as well.

Posted by hgdsadfhja on May 22, 2007 at 4:35 AM (CDT)