Bob Dylan album pre-order, digital box set offered on iTunes | iLounge News

Bob Dylan album pre-order, digital box set offered on iTunes

Columbia Records and Apple today announced that Bob Dylan’s new album “Modern Times” will be offered through an exclusive pre-order on the iTunes Music Store. Beginning today, customers can pre-order a copy of the album for $13.99 to be downloaded on August 29 when it is released. Those that pre-order will also be offered a Ticketmaster pre-sale for concert tickets to select dates on Dylan’s upcoming fall tour. Apple has also created a Bob Dylan digital box set called “The Collection,” which includes all of Dylan’s studio albums, “The Bootleg Series” releases, and 42 rarities—nearly 800 tracks in all. The Bob Dylan digital box set will be available for $199 on August 29. “Bob Dylan is one of the most respected poets and musicians of our time, and he is a personal hero of mine,” said Apple CEO Steve Jobs. “Being able to offer his new album and the exclusive box set of his works on iTunes is a real thrill for us.”

« Griffin debuts TuneFlex for full-size iPods

Marware offers universal pouch for Nike+iPod sensor »

Comments

I never use the iTunes Music Store, but I thought that all albums on it were $9.99?
You could buy it on CD for less than that!
Unless you’re paying $4 to get into the pre-sale?

And why would anyone want to preorder something that you download and can’t go out of stock?!

Posted by SN on August 8, 2006 at 9:53 AM (PDT)

I am a frequent user of the store and albums did cost $9.99 but in recent times prices have gone up somewhat.

But to justify some increases iTunes does offer extras with the album that you may not get in stores. I just bought a new cd on there that cost $10.89 and it came with a bonus acoustic track.

There are albums on the store that cost less than $9.99 as well so it’s all good to me.

Maybe the price changes are something Jobs agreed to when the major labels renewed their deal with iTunes. The more recognizable musicians have the higher priced albums while the unknowns are sold for less.

Posted by Mike on August 8, 2006 at 10:22 AM (PDT)

And the Itunes price also depends on how many songs are on the CD.

Posted by dmt1 on August 8, 2006 at 10:54 AM (PDT)

Looking at the predorder page for the album I see that it only has 10 songs but it has 5 videos and the booklet too.

By normal iTunes pricing they could easily charge $19.99 for that very same album and not even give you the ticket presale or the booklet.

10 songs for $9.99 + 5 videos for $1.99 each = $19.99

So $13.99 for set ain’t too bad in my opinion. Of course I’m not big on Dylan so I probably won’t get it.

Posted by Mike on August 8, 2006 at 11:06 AM (PDT)

Why would I spend $200 for his entire catalog, including such turkeys as “Self Portrait” and his Christian albums, at 128kbps?

Just buy his best CDs at a store, rip ‘em to a decent bit rate, keep the discs for backup, and have actual physical liner notes to read.

Posted by Dan on August 8, 2006 at 1:10 PM (PDT)

Dan, Turkeys?  the Christian albums?  Grammy award winning Slow Train?  are you kidding?  Most Dylan fans drool over Self Portrait…....

iTunes is also offering 44 rarities…...you can ‘t get them elsewhere, Dan.

Posted by John on August 10, 2006 at 6:49 AM (PDT)

Let me guess, John: you love “At Budokan,” too.

Posted by Dan on August 10, 2006 at 3:41 PM (PDT)

Even “Budokan” is worth listening to, just to hear how Dylan reinterprets himself.

I own all the albums, and the low fidelity MP3s would have me concerned, especially with the SACD remasters coming out. Also, I’d need to see a list of the “rarities” to make sure they aren’t on Biograph or the Japanese imports. I don’t trust sales blurbs.

The access to tickets doesn’t concern me; his ballpark tour over the last year didn’t sell out many shows in advance.

How long of a download would that be, anyway, and what about DRM?

Cheers,
Mark

Posted by Mark on August 10, 2006 at 10:45 PM (PDT)