Boingo: iPhone driving mobile Wi-Fi growth | iLounge News

News

Boingo: iPhone driving mobile Wi-Fi growth

The iPhone, and to a lesser extent, the iPod touch, are driving increased device-based Wi-Fi use, according to a Boingo Wireless report. Boingo Wireless is a provider of Wi-Fi hotspot access, with more than 100,000 hotspots worldwide. As of May 2009, mobile devices accounted for 26.1% of all connections to Boingo’s networks, compared to just 11.5% in May 2008 and less than a half of a percent in May 2007. Of these mobile connections, the iPhone accounts for 89.2%, followed by the iPod touch with 4.7%—giving the iPhone OS platform a total of 93.9% of all mobile device connections. Finally, Boingo has also seen growth in the amount of data consumed by smartphone users signed up for the company’s monthly Wi-Fi plan, with the monthly average up to 114MB as of May, compared to just over 60MB in January.

« Apple changes iPhone 3G S name to iPhone 3GS

Push instant messaging comes to iPhone 3.0 »

Related Stories

Comments

1

That’s good to read.

The only annoying thing in The Netherlands is that there are almost no free wifi spots. All spots are paid through T-Mobile or KPN. And I’m not in the Wi-Fi region that often enough to justify getting such a subscription.

That’s why I enjoy travelling abroad to most countries where it is free.

Posted by VesNL in Amsterdam on June 23, 2009 at 9:54 AM (CDT)

If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.
Sign up for the iLounge Weekly Newsletter

Email:

Recent News

Recent Reviews

Recent Articles

Sign up for the iLounge Weekly Newsletter

Email:

iLounge is an independent resource for all things iPod, iPhone, iPad, and beyond.
iPod, iPhone, iPad, iTunes, Apple TV, Mac, and the Apple logo are trademarks of Apple Inc.
iLounge is © 2001 - 2014 iLounge, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy