Bose announces SoundDock Digital Music System | iLounge News

Bose announces SoundDock Digital Music System

pic

“Bose has introduced the SoundDock digital music system, designed to deliver a new standard of audio performance for Apple’s iPod and iPod mini. No headphones, cables or adaptors required—the new speaker system lets iPod owners access, control and listen to their stored music with the ease of dock and play.

The SoundDock system includes a proprietary acoustic design that delivers clear, full sound across the entire musical spectrum. Using an integrated system approach, the amplifiers, equalizers and speakers are matched; there is no need for the user to make complex adjustments to ensure superb acoustic performance. Patented integrated signal processing automatically adjusts tonal balance, so music sounds natural at any volume. [...]

It is expected to sell for $299 and will be available directly from Bose and Apple retail stores, www.bose.com and www.apple.com.”

« iLounge User Group meeting

Mac: iPodDownload 1.0 released »

Comments

There seems to be a lot of these “portable iPod speakers out now.  Let’s see, the Altec Lansing inMotion Portable iPod Speakers, the Altec Lansing inMotion Portable iPod mini Speakers, the Altec Lansing inMotion iM3 Portable Audio System, the JBL On Stage iPod Speakers, and now the Bose SoundDock Digital Music System.  Is this a new trend?

Zikken :: A Guy in NYC

Posted by Shahid on September 16, 2004 at 3:22 PM (PDT)

300?!?! And I thought that inMotions were expensive…

Posted by John on September 16, 2004 at 3:28 PM (PDT)

I want this NOW! Despite their price, I have never been disappointed with Bose. I have a couple of pairs of TriPort headphones, MediaMate speakers at work, and Companion 3 at home. The Companion is so good, it rivals my $5000 home theater system (for regular music playing). When companies announce this stuff, I wish they would either make it immediately available or let us know when we can grab our hands on it.

Posted by Diomedes on September 16, 2004 at 3:40 PM (PDT)

I am happy with the Bose Wave Radio and the Ipod. A great combination. This may be more portable.

Posted by ronfel in Miami on September 16, 2004 at 3:52 PM (PDT)

the biggest step it looks like for these portable speakers is what bose did, a remote.
I wish i could get something so i could control my ipod via a remote when i’ve got it plugged into my HTS/

Posted by stefan on September 16, 2004 at 4:22 PM (PDT)

pay through the nose, get yer bose. you’re bank account may be empty, but you’ll have that cool logo to drool over. woo hoo.

Posted by maclevin on September 16, 2004 at 6:16 PM (PDT)

that is expensive for sure. you can buy a newest 4G 20GB ipod with that money. Which one would you prefer? Think about it. It is just an accessory.

Posted by lol on September 16, 2004 at 6:17 PM (PDT)

“Using an integrated system approach, the amplifiers, equalizers and speakers are matched; there is no need for the user to make complex adjustments to ensure superb acoustic performance. Patented integrated signal processing automatically adjusts tonal balance, so music sounds natural at any volume.”

Haha, that is hilarious.  Gosh, do people really buy this stuff?  That’s sad.  I have yet to come across a good bose product;  the absurd prices they charge for the crap makes it even worse.

Posted by Chris on September 16, 2004 at 6:59 PM (PDT)

It is funny….gotta pay those copywriters…!!!

“Better Sound through Marketing.”

(laughing)

That’s the way the world works, my friend…BP.

Posted by bizpod on September 16, 2004 at 8:20 PM (PDT)

Whoa!
$300!!!

/goes to buy “cheap” iM3s raspberry

Posted by Unbeliever on September 16, 2004 at 9:43 PM (PDT)

Best comment ever:

From:

Posted by Mortimer on September 16, 2004 at 11:22 PM (PDT)

Doesn’t look PORTABLE at all to me. Save your money for something that is actually easy to carry around.

Posted by umijin on September 17, 2004 at 4:53 AM (PDT)

more like save your money for something that is worth 300 dollars

Posted by chris on September 17, 2004 at 4:56 AM (PDT)

Supposed to be available on both Bose and Apple sites but I can’t find them on either. What’s up with that?

Posted by dejo on September 17, 2004 at 6:27 AM (PDT)

The big question in my mind now is how its features will stack up to the iM3.

The review on this site of the iM3 mentions that all the controls - the volume, etc. - are digital, and not just for the speakrs, they actually control the iPod itself.  If the Bose can match this, and has digital control of the iPod rather than its own external controls that don’t interface with the iPod, the Bose won’t be worth it.  (Yes, I know people are saying that already, but I mean even to the Bose enthusiast. wink

If it has the digital control (which I am guessing it will, from the fact that it has a remote - why do just volume?), this will match the iM3, and the iM3 has muddy sound quality as noted in the review. That’ll put the Bose ahead of it overall.  Wether it’ll be worth the $300, I am not sure, but time will tell.

Posted by Geoffrey on September 17, 2004 at 6:44 AM (PDT)

Mortimer - LOL!!!

Actually, considering the usual Bose marketing strategy, I’m surprised it doesn’t cost more.  A lot more.

Posted by JP on September 17, 2004 at 8:05 AM (PDT)

Bose products are traditionally over-priced. You are paying for the name brand.
The remote to control the iPod is a nice feature though.

Posted by LA_Dave on September 17, 2004 at 8:53 AM (PDT)

Bose products are overpriced garbage. They usually sound terrible.

Posted by bosehater on September 17, 2004 at 9:30 AM (PDT)

Bose is regarded as a pretty awful brand in the audio world.  I’ll reserve judgement until I hear this one, but I’m not expecting much.

Posted by ray on September 17, 2004 at 9:50 AM (PDT)

I have to agree with the bose bashing.

This looks like another over-priced product from the same over-rated company.

They might as well just charge $500 for it, because will think it’s just that much better.

Posted by Sam on September 17, 2004 at 10:18 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >