Bose announces SoundDock Digital Music System | iLounge News

Bose announces SoundDock Digital Music System

pic

“Bose has introduced the SoundDock digital music system, designed to deliver a new standard of audio performance for Apple’s iPod and iPod mini. No headphones, cables or adaptors required—the new speaker system lets iPod owners access, control and listen to their stored music with the ease of dock and play.

The SoundDock system includes a proprietary acoustic design that delivers clear, full sound across the entire musical spectrum. Using an integrated system approach, the amplifiers, equalizers and speakers are matched; there is no need for the user to make complex adjustments to ensure superb acoustic performance. Patented integrated signal processing automatically adjusts tonal balance, so music sounds natural at any volume. [...]

It is expected to sell for $299 and will be available directly from Bose and Apple retail stores, www.bose.com and www.apple.com.”

« iLounge User Group meeting

Mac: iPodDownload 1.0 released »

Comments

As I see it, Bose is well marketed crap!!!!  The stuff sounds good, but is poorly made.  The only exception seems to be the Companion 3, which is no more poorly made than other PC speakers, but does sound excellent.

Posted by Andy on September 17, 2004 at 11:15 AM (PDT)

Bose is not crap.  Those of you jumping on the Bose-bashing bandwagon need to take a second look at what they have to offer.  Yes, their products are expensive, but they are worth it.  And of course there are very high-end companies out there that make superior products, but when it comes to mainstream names, Bose is the best.

Posted by A on September 17, 2004 at 1:12 PM (PDT)

lol.  lets put it this way,  my poor 5.1 klipsch ultra MM system for computer is better than anything bose has ever put out.  and, it’s a third of the price of a comparable setup that doesn’t even sound decently good.  sad, don’t you think?

Posted by chris on September 17, 2004 at 4:17 PM (PDT)

For some reason, everyone hates Bose because they actually seem to market themselves. Whoa, a brand that tries to make itself known! Let’s all hate it!
Truth is, I’ve never been unhappy with Bose products. They offer great “mainstream” sound, if at a premium price. So they push their own name. Woo. While I’m sure the righteous brands like Sennheiser and Grado are loved because they offer good audiophile sound while remaining relatively unknown, that doesn’t mean Bose is any worse. Some people like it, some people don’t. Yes, I have a set of Klipsch speakers, but at $150 for a 2.1 setup, they weren’t at all cheap (for me). That said, I love them to death, but I would also love Bose speakers. They just didn’t have them at the store where I bought mine.

Posted by Joshdude in Long Beach, CA on September 17, 2004 at 5:55 PM (PDT)

jesus, you people are so cheap!

believer it or not, some of us are actually willing to pay for quality - you dont think the ipod is overpriced? it is - and you bought it, so quit moaning.

apple ‘markets’ itself ALL the time, and those of us who are apple users know that we pay a premium for the name.

i have a bose lifestyle system and i am very happy with it. i will be purchasing these QUALITY speakers when they are released.

oh - and by the way, i know they’re good quality because i was at the apple expo and i heard them in the bose room.

regards,
nick

Posted by nick on September 18, 2004 at 12:15 AM (PDT)

This thing looks like a nice table radio type of thing, except it has no radio. A dumb omission for a potentially good office accessory.

Bose makes decent mid-fi stuff. Not the best, nor the worst. i’d certainly never call it hi-fi.

Posted by Gojira on September 18, 2004 at 4:37 AM (PDT)

Nick said it right…how ironic that someone who has bought an Apple product could complain about high prices, cool looks and marketing.  You are hypocrites if you complain about Bose yet buy Apple.

In my experience people bash Bose because they think it is the cool thing and that it makes them more of an audiophile when they really have know clue.

Posted by Ironic on September 18, 2004 at 8:11 AM (PDT)

“lol.  lets put it this way,  my poor 5.1 klipsch ultra MM system for computer is better than anything bose has ever put out.”

And you know this because you’ve bought everything Bose has ever put out, correct? Or was it mommy?

Posted by Jason on September 18, 2004 at 9:21 PM (PDT)

“So don’t say Bose is crap just for not meeting your audiophile standards. Remember, most people, especially iPod users, aren’t audiophiles, and like the mainstream style sound that Bose and similar companies produce.”

That’s not the point. The point is that Bose products are OVERPRICED FOR WHAT THEY OFFER. In other words, for the same money you could get something much better or, alternatively, you could get similar quality for much less money. Some of their products sound decent, but all are significantly overpriced.

Unfortunately, people who have purchased Bose products thinking they were great don’t want to hear that, so they tend to get pretty defensive when people bash Bose products wink

Posted by audio geek on September 18, 2004 at 9:57 PM (PDT)

i want the ipodlounge review….. now.

Posted by god on September 19, 2004 at 11:13 AM (PDT)

Maaaaan you guys - dont you have anything else to do but bash on success? Why are people like that? If you can’t afford quality and don’t give a #### about cool branding and design - buy something else - see if I care? Oh and good for you that the iPod DOES work with PC - That MUST be what you are using it with…

As for me…I’m getting that Bose Docksystem…no wait… im gonna get TWO - one for the apartment and one for the summerhouse…and I really couldn’t care less…cause I LOVE product that stinks of coolness… I only got one life…

Have a nice life guys… all of you :o)

Posted by Mac Maniac on September 20, 2004 at 2:33 AM (PDT)

Taken all wrong….  Did not mean to offend.  I just mean that Bose charges a serious premium for their products, which I believe sound good and are poorly manufactured.  I own a Bose Companion 3 system, and have 2 cars with their systems in them.  (Also, other than the Altec Lansing, these are proably the only decent iPod specific speaker products out there.)  I think the products sound excellent, but are way overpriced.  The iPod is overpriced, but the quality is wonderful.  (And….without the PC version available, it is likely there would have been far less sold.)

Posted by Andy on September 20, 2004 at 8:36 AM (PDT)

I’m on the fence…the Apple Store has it for delivery in 3-5 days. The email I got from Bose says it controls “basic” iPod functions.That sounds like the NaviPod functions (so, you can’t switch playlists, but you can skip tracks, FF/rewind, etc.) I have my docked iPod connected to a pair of SoundStick II. I’m kind of torn whether to get the Bose….

Posted by Diomedes on September 20, 2004 at 6:26 PM (PDT)

AH, here it is from Bose:

“Remote control
Control system volume and iPod functions such as off/on, play, pause, next song and previous song—from across the room”

The only other question I have are the dimensions of this thing.

Posted by Diomedes on September 20, 2004 at 6:29 PM (PDT)

Posted by mathnerd on September 20, 2004 at 7:01 PM (PDT)

Hey Andy…

Not offended - everybody has a right to their own opinion on everything. I just have in-depth knowledge of the Bose factory and know how advanced they actually are. This IS hightech #### and I just love it. So I guess I’m not that objective after all ;o) I have the “old” Lifestyle 50 with the CD-changer that matches my Ford CD-changer and I’m certainly are looking to some of their new systems. Anyway… Bose or not - I guess we all agree that the iPod has change the way we use music, No?

Cheers

Posted by Mac Maniac on September 20, 2004 at 10:37 PM (PDT)

“bose products are amazing, but very overpriced. i own a pair of quietcomfort 2 headphones which also costs 299 bucks…when i used them , they really do sound phenomenal…however, it’s priced much higher than it is actually worth. btw, do u guys kno y bose doesnt have the Lucas’s THX certification stamp on their speakers? i own a set of logitech z5200 which are thx certified and i also compared them to the eually priced companion 3’s…truth is, the bose one was much worse than the logitech’s. Unlike the Z5300, the bose companion 3 does not have a THX certified stamp on them, which slightly, in my opinion, lowers their reputation of being a “premium sound” quality. If you guys want quality speakers, look for the THX certified stamp on them to ensure premium sound.”

Do you understand the the “THX” stamp is just a bunch of marketing crap. Those companies pay for that logo so they can sell their products to people who don’t know anything about audio. Do you really think you crappy logitech speakers can give a movie experience?

Posted by Brad on September 21, 2004 at 3:58 AM (PDT)

Mac maniac:
Not that they are not high tech, I agree that they are.  And yes, the iPod has changed how we listen to music.  I am a fan of the grateful dead, and it is the best way to collect their music.

Posted by Andy on September 21, 2004 at 7:15 AM (PDT)

Hopefully this becomes a trend for Bose to make some high-end accessories for the iPod. Howabout a pair of white earcup, grey wire Bose TriPorts?? They sure as hell will beat my 1970’s era white Pioneer SE-50s.

Posted by BigWhiteHeadphoneLover on September 21, 2004 at 2:19 PM (PDT)

Posted by BigWhiteHeadphoneLover on September 21, 2004 at 2:19 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >