Bose announces SoundDock Digital Music System | iLounge News

Bose announces SoundDock Digital Music System

pic

“Bose has introduced the SoundDock digital music system, designed to deliver a new standard of audio performance for Apple’s iPod and iPod mini. No headphones, cables or adaptors required—the new speaker system lets iPod owners access, control and listen to their stored music with the ease of dock and play.

The SoundDock system includes a proprietary acoustic design that delivers clear, full sound across the entire musical spectrum. Using an integrated system approach, the amplifiers, equalizers and speakers are matched; there is no need for the user to make complex adjustments to ensure superb acoustic performance. Patented integrated signal processing automatically adjusts tonal balance, so music sounds natural at any volume. [...]

It is expected to sell for $299 and will be available directly from Bose and Apple retail stores, www.bose.com and www.apple.com.”

« iLounge User Group meeting

Mac: iPodDownload 1.0 released »

Comments

Sure you could buy a cheaper speaker system and maybe it has better sound quality, but then, you could have also bought an iRiver.

You’re paying for more than just sound with Bose gear in the same way you’re paying for more than just an mp3 player with an iPod.

Both Bose and Apple seem to realise the importance of human computer interaction and that’s something I’m more than happy to pay for.

Posted by Ginga Ninja on September 21, 2004 at 10:29 PM (CDT)

Bose SoundDock Digital Music System
sounds good.  However, bought it and returned it the next day.  Reason: 1) overpriced base on quality, 2) no radio features, 3)limited mobility - for in door use only, 4) remote cannot access different folders, 5) no THX stamp, 6) Support services - none from Bose website…By the way, the list could go on and on.

Posted by AbFab on September 22, 2004 at 2:45 PM (CDT)

AbFab wrote
“bought it and returned it the next day.” and then listed the reasons why he thought it sucked.

——————————————————-

Question. How did you buy it when it won’t be available until 10/1?

Question. Didn’t you know it did not have a radio when you alegidly bought it?

Question. No THX stamp. Who cares? My $15,000 home theater doesn’t either. But it plays THX encoded soundtracks perfectly.

I’m glad the list did not go on and on.

Bose is overpriced, no dispute here. I have an acoustic wave music system. This is the wave radio’s big brother. It hefts a price tag of $1079. Now that’s expensive. But guess what? It isn’t low quality and it sounds great. The bottom line is that it gives consumers another choice. Beyond all the marketing hype there are people out there that simply love Bose products. If they don’t mind spending the money and they are happy that’s cool with me. Some folks are into sound and some are into style. I know some folks that think Bose gives a little of both.

I’m sorry you had a bad experience with a product that’s not even available yet.  Your post is like giving a book review without reading the book.

Ciao,
Tom

Posted by Tom on September 29, 2004 at 5:26 PM (CDT)

I tried to purchase one yesterday thru the Bose site (free 30 day trial) but the process died when I was submitting my purchase.  Called Bose and they told me they had updated their site recently and from other calls it seemed to be having ‘issues’.  The rep told me he would find out if my order went thru and he would call me back 10/1.  He followed thru on his promise and to make a long story a little longer I ordered it over the phone and they gave me free overnight shipping, so it should arrive Monday.  Hope it sounds as great as the Bose customer service reps performed.

Posted by billyjay on October 1, 2004 at 10:48 AM (CDT)

I just got my sounddock yesterday.  I ordered it from apple last week.  Sounded crackly and bad for about 10 minutes, but now it sounds great.  Remote is good for about 15-20 feet.  Sound quality is great (to me anyway, although I don’t claim to be an audiophile).  The sound more than fills up my 16’x20’ bedroom.  Just wish it had a radiotuner for the money.

Posted by Andy on October 2, 2004 at 6:05 PM (CDT)

Received my sounddock and am very satisfied.  Not an audiophile but I think it sounds great.  Comes with different size docking inserts to fit your particular ipod.  Other likes include the fact that when you turn it off the music fades out instead of cuts off, the charging feature, the simple remote, the look and the ease of use.

Just plug and play.  If that makes me lazy than so be it.

Posted by billyjay on October 6, 2004 at 3:00 PM (CDT)

Hey Andy and BillyJay,

Does the SoundDock tame the slightly bright sound of the iPod?  I got some Sennheiser headphones that did the job when mobile - does the SoundDock “sound processing” do the same?

Thanks,

Mike

Posted by mikek on October 11, 2004 at 7:41 AM (CDT)

I got mine last week from Apple Store.  It is smaller than I thought in term of size but the sound is great though I am not a audiophile.  I played a lot of trance music and the sound fills my 20 meter square room without problem, I am very satisfied with these speakers.

Posted by quentin in France on October 26, 2004 at 5:42 AM (CDT)

I have bose companion 3’s and have read quite a bit about audio specs over past 20 years of love of music and audio and for price get companion 3s I have seen alot of bose bashing by people who dont seem to understand very much at all .Case in point Bose Companion 3’s are made in america.That counts and I have seen Klipsch 5 speaker set barely sound better if at all any.The desighn and quality are first rate and for saying bose has a great marketing strategy and silly words like signal processing and automatic equalization do not know what they talk about   Companion 3’s arnt even rated by bose   I cant even tell you what the wattage is.But these lil accoustimass is one lil bad system along with a simple mini mac 250 + 500   = 75o   with all those bells and whistles 750 will answer all video and audio needs for 5 years   250 little space and an apple is a multimedia lik no other all for 750   ps   Klipsch is Chinese made so is altec lansing and the harmon kardon at apple store is made in china.Not my lil Companions 3   Made in america   buy your chinese junk! not me

Posted by audiofyle in Spfld Ohio on March 27, 2005 at 6:58 PM (CST)

also companion 2’s are made in china so dont get them I couldnt believe that when i checked today they are 100 buck in Ohio.But get the companion 3’s made in america.I am curious to what this new doc syst by bose is made i was horrified with 2’s being made there   3’s are american people and awsome 250

Posted by audiofyle in Spfld Ohio on March 27, 2005 at 7:04 PM (CST)

I have now scrolled and my nieghbor who lives appt underneath has a klipsh 5 ;1 he was saying when he listened to hoobastank reason it was buzzing ever so slightly on the repetitive guitar riffs.So we had a j went d stairs checked it out   and absolutly no comparison when played through apple g4 and bose companion 3’schris has a brand new mini mac {I dig it I have an Emac}and his Klipsch 5-1 and they buzz he wishes he bought bose instead made in USA companion 3’s

Posted by audiofyle in Spfld Ohio on March 27, 2005 at 7:19 PM (CST)

why doesnt anywhere have the wattage on the bose ipod speakers????!!!! i cant find it anywher. and im tryin to decide on what speakers to get. and i want to know what the wattage is. cos on the altec lansing inMotion ones. it is a total of 4W and on the harman kardon soundsticks it is 40W in total. what is it for the bose sound dock!! does anyone know?

Posted by colette on July 2, 2005 at 12:35 PM (CDT)

ya, stuff made in china are all shxx
so throw away all your computer, cuz the
parts 99% are made in china.

Posted by american on July 8, 2005 at 2:09 AM (CDT)

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3