Boston Globe: New iPod is not necessarily improved | iLounge News

Boston Globe: New iPod is not necessarily improved

Globe staff writer, Michael Prager doesn’t share Apple’s view that the new iPods are as ‘improved’ as they say they are.

“What I want more of is battery capacity. But in service of sleek, they reduced it from 10 hours’ time to 8! What good is a gizmo that holds even, say, 100,000 songs if it’s always needing more juice to let them out?”

« Apple Store: Refurbished iPod accessories

Enhance your MP3s with DFX »

Comments

I don’t care about the short battery life. Can you actually sit there and listen to an IPOd for 8 to 10 hours straight. I can’t! The reason for reduction in battery life is to make it more compact. I do have the new 30Gb and it does have its flaws but its tolerable enuff until the new update comes out. I dont use it for all those features it offers but only for music. I always bring my car charger and if I go on a trip I’ll take my World travel adapter kit. I am not worried about the battery and if it goes before warranty I’ll replace it. If a newer model comes out I’ll go buy it. So there!

Posted by DJ_JUST in New Jersey on June 1, 2003 at 7:46 PM (CDT)

I think this is one of those cases where previous experience skews your judgement.  He seems to rate many things as ‘worse’ simply because they’re different, where an unbiased user trying both types for the first time might well consider the new iPod to be better.

I’ve just got my first iPod, and I know I did the right thing by choosing one of the new ones, whatever Mr Prager says.

As to battery life, well, longer is always better, but I doubt the difference is that significant to most people.  As long as it lasts between charges, that’s long enough.

Posted by Gidds in UK on June 1, 2003 at 8:36 PM (CDT)

Battery life reduction for a sleeker design is acceptable for me, but they shouldn’t reduce any further.  Belkin makes a few battery backpacks that increase battery life to 15-20 hours.  So there are alternatives for the not so short-sighted individuals.

I for one like the new design, but it makes it difficult for case designs.  I am hoping that Apple rethinks the 4 button design and go with an all-in-one design again on the next go around.

Not sure if everyone is aware of it, but Comp USA offers a technology warranty that allows you to recoop your entire purchase price toward a future product.  Pricing is based upon original purchase price and term of warranty.  I have upgraded twice with this warranty from 10Gb to 20Gb to 30Gb without spending anything more than the original purchase price and the cost of the warranty.  Since this is a one-time-use warranty, every time I have upgraded, I had to purchase a new warranty.  The last go around cost $59.95 for two-years.  Well worth it.  If rumors are correct about having a new iPod by early or mid 2004, I will be ready.

Posted by Styx on June 1, 2003 at 8:36 PM (CDT)

It is really depressing…. Apple is the ONLY company that can get their act together and build a good mp3 player? I wish someone else would make something to replace it, I hate Apple. I use Windows, and have for the past 2 years after switching from Apple. They don’t make upgradable computers, and everytime I needed an upgrade, I had to take it in to a professional or BUY A NEW COMPUTER. I would rather buy a $30 firewire card and throw it into my PC, than drive 4 hours to the nearest Apple store and have my iMac upgraded.

If the Philips HDD100 takes off, or Apple doesn’t put that new OLED technology in the new iPods, I will stop buying Apple.

Posted by Skrit on June 1, 2003 at 10:10 PM (CDT)

ok, put me in the middle.
I’m a switcher; defended Gates for years, but now am absolutely hooked on a functional, “digital hub” “ilife”, will likely never buy anything windows again and am appropriately cultish about Jobs and Apple.
BUT—
What was the thinking with this new ipod? I bought the new 30g unit because my 5g’er did’nt hold enough.
BUT—
Not just the battery, but the touch buttons don’t work as well, the HOLD switch is a PIA because it does’nt slide easily with your finger like on the old model, you have to use much more pressure or your nail to get it to move, the cables don’t seem as strong as the firewire,
AND—
having a charger in the car and at work and at my girlfriends house is going to cost me another $120+ bucks for a new car charger and a couple of docks.
Simply, I don’t belive that any real, significant improvement necessitated changing out the standard firewire plug (except that these are very high profit items).
Again, I clearly love what Apple and my macs have done for my life. It’s just that after using the new ipod for a month, I like the old one better. please take this as a sincere constructive criticism and i would be interested in knowing if others who have
experienced both feel the same way.
tg

Posted by tg on June 1, 2003 at 11:36 PM (CDT)

ermmmm “skrit”???

“They don’t make upgradable computers, and everytime I needed an upgrade, I had to take it in to a professional or BUY A NEW COMPUTER.”

you’re just so wrong it hurts.

you were simply buying the wrong machines.
if you had bought a powermac tower, for example, you could have simply popped open the machine (one button) and slipped in the firewire card yourself.

instead, you didnt do your research, bought an imac and then blame apple for having non_upgradable machines.

yeah, real clever.

Posted by jack on June 2, 2003 at 1:56 AM (CDT)

I don’t care anyway. I’m not about to join some religion of Mac users when it just doesn’t make sense for me to use Apple. All of my friends use Windows, and to me, Windows is superior. I know that Macs might be “easy to use” because I grew up with a Mac. When I turned 3, my grandma bought me an Apple IIgs. I went through 5 or 6 macs, and decided that they weren’t worth defending. I switched to Windows, and now, I can play the latest games on a 2.8 gHz Pentium 4 with a Nvidia Geforce 4 graphics card, 5.1 channel surround sound, 21 inch display, and a price tag under 1600 bucks. Sure, Windows seems a little tough to use at first. Sure, Windows isn’t as “fun” to use. But when I want superior performance, modular equipment, and compatibility with my friends’ hardware, I buy Microsoft.

Bill Gates doesn’t even know how to spend his money anymore, he just gives it away.

If 95% of the world used Mac, I’m sure that Steve Jobs would be just as greedy and you all would be whining about him having a monopoly. The simple truth: IT DOESN’T MATTER.

p.s. G4s ARE SLOW

Posted by Skrit on June 2, 2003 at 9:56 AM (CDT)

That’s funny :-) It’s not true but I still laugh at you.

Why does anyone hate Apple?

With Windoze I suppose you just upgrade it yourself and everything’s fine. What a joke!

______

One thing I’ve always wanted to know: people that defend M$ and B. Gates what do they say? I mean what are the defences?

_____

G4’s aren’t slow clock for clock but their clock rates are defferent to Athlons and P4s. My dual-gig G4 will trounce any p4 2.5Ghz so I’ve no real problem. When the PPC970 appears all the windoze chips will be lame and then what will you say?

Anyone that like M$ now will (as before) eventually become to hate them. Everyone is just on their own learning curve. (and it’s a slow one!).

Posted by Apple hater - read this on June 2, 2003 at 10:19 AM (CDT)

Well… I have a new ipod.  It works great.  The batter life is not a probelm for me - as I bring it home to charge it after work.  But I guess some of us could work 10 hour days.  As for… too much storage - that is a stupid argument.  I do agree that changing the already luaded ergonomics might be difficult for some but it was perhaps to improve reliability?  Not sure about that but the specialized connector was designe for the dock and maybe - a microphone setup for recording which we have not yet seen.  So I think we need to give Apple some time to show us why they made these changes.  I don;t know if change is good- but change always brings some criticism….  Still the look is cleaner and now has no crevices where dirt could penetrate the machine.  The extra storage is a godsend.  And the lighter weight is cool too.  And lest we forget one reason why the battery life is less is because this IPOD lights up.

Posted by buckbanza on June 2, 2003 at 10:38 AM (CDT)

Uh, could we please not turn this into an Apple vs Microsoft forum?  There are plenty of other places on the internet to debate those kinds of issues. :)

Anyways, I agree with the first post—the battery life is more than sufficient for me.  I’m sure in the coming years battery life is one issue that will be improved dramatically once several other factors stabilize.

The one point I do agree with from that article though is that I do have to reset my ipod a couple of times a day.  This is starting to worry me as my old ipod never did this.

Posted by Matt on June 2, 2003 at 11:31 AM (CDT)

I love my 30G. It’s a gateway drug - I’m now buying tracks from the Apple Music Store, better headphones, thinking about cases and hardwiring an aux input for my car radio. I have about 16G of music on mine and of course it’s impossible to listen to all of it. That isn’t the point. I can listen to what I want, when I want, where I want. The battery life is fine for me.

Posted by jmk on June 2, 2003 at 1:27 PM (CDT)

The battery life is an issue; I switched to an Ipod from a creative jukebox.  My jukebox had two batteries and I could go for so long between charges that I didn’t have to worry about it.  Now I have to carry wires, and adaptors with me to make sure that I can charge when I need to.  I’ve requested that Targus make an Ipod end for their plane/car adaptor.  This will help for long flights.

I like the Ipod but the lack of quality software for windows makes me wonder if I should have stayed true to creative.  I hate not being able to delete songs from my machine on the fly as my plan was to load all of my cds and delete bad songs as I found necessary making room for new cds.  I wanted to use the star rating system to tag the songs for home deletion, however the windows software doesn’t use the ratings.

Better form, worse function.

Posted by hildy on June 2, 2003 at 2:30 PM (CDT)

I own a 10 gig 2nd gen pod and my buddy just got a 10 gig 3rd gen wanna guess who’s happier? hehehe he luvs the sleek thin design but battery is abysmall, lockups remind me my old zen :) it seems that now apples main competition for the 3rd gen pods is the 2nd gen pods hahaha.  it seems that there is also room for a another mac vs pc thing here too….god I luv these :-D well here’s my 2 cents…get a clue even adobe is’t blind any more and has stated that PCs kicks mac but in speed and overall performance.  It still funny when steve heads hold up photoshop benchmarks to P4 computers, what are they afraid to post some athlon benchmarks as well?  Stop cracking on MS because of who runs because apple is guilty os the same practices only difference MS did it better (by the way I’m using Mozilla 1.4 FYI) search the web of apple related by out of various technologies over the past year.  End this now these 2 companies are here to make money and thats all if u drop ur beloved pod steve ain’t gonna be and angel and give u on out of the kindness of his heart as much as ill gates would.  Lets leave the threads to ipod related matters and not MS vs PC bashing.

Posted by Temjin on June 2, 2003 at 2:48 PM (CDT)

Hey,

I just bought an ipod last week, I am impressed with it although I think my unit may be faulty, it displays 4 bars, then i listen to it for half an hour to work and it displays 2 bars, later on i look at it after it’s been off and its back at three…I tested it by playing it continuously and i get about 5ish hours out of it…it’s not loud and i turned all the extras off, backlight etc..
I’m about to take it back to the shop. is this normal, has anyone experienced this too?...Help!!!..I charged it up overnight…though curiously when i got it out of the box it had power in it??...

Posted by Kevin on August 19, 2003 at 7:37 AM (CDT)

I’ve got one of the new 15Gb iPods. I’m a little worried about the battery draining faster than advertised. I have seen things similar to what Kevin recounts. Kevin, how did you set up your test? Did you just sit there for five hours and play it? I don’t have that kind of attention span.

Did you end up taking it back to the shop? What did they say/do for you?

Have there been reports of problems with the new iPod’s battery?

Posted by Mike on September 9, 2003 at 5:38 PM (CDT)