Britain sells out of iPods | iLounge News

Britain sells out of iPods

“John Lewis had also sold out of the iPod, and was warning customers they may have to wait until mid January to get their hands on the product. Dan Knowles is the company’s director of buying for electrical goods.

He said: ‘We have sold over 2,500 iPods in the run-up to Christmas, which is a lot for such a highly priced product. It just seems to have that cool factor somehow, it’s a truly iconic product already. I don’t think there is a secret to it, it’s just a really, really good product.’

However, those in the industry are unsurprised by the success. Gadget magazine Stuff voted the iPod its number-one gadget from a list of 100 products. Gary Parkinson, deputy editor, said: ‘There has been phenomenal interest in the iPod. I don’t think we have ever experienced anything like it for a gadget.’”

« Kazaa Not Responsible for Swapping

Apple Store Chicago “selling one iPod every 10 minutes” »

Comments

John Lewis isn’t the only shop in Britain that sells iPod’s you know! They are still available elsewhere!!!

That’s like me hearing that some shop in the US has sold out of iPods and me saying “USA sells out of iPods” - the statement is ridiculous.

Posted by dmeineck on December 23, 2003 at 9:22 AM (CST)

No, There are actually only 10 iPods left in the whole of Britain, one of which my friend hunted down yesterday, so there are only 9 now

Posted by ti on December 23, 2003 at 3:05 PM (CST)

If that is true then that is incredible! I ordered mine off amazon 2 weeks ago and it came in a couple of days, but obviously i was just in time! ;-)

Posted by dmeineck on December 23, 2003 at 4:43 PM (CST)

I was in Selfridges (big London dept store for those of you out the UK) on Saturday, and one of their staff told me that their computer department was selling Ipods the entire day at the rate of 30 an hour!!

Posted by Dean on December 23, 2003 at 4:59 PM (CST)

Posted by HaDeS on December 23, 2003 at 7:01 PM (CST)

> Its true that the iPod is selling amazingly well, but they aren’t difficult to get hold of, aslong as you shop from american retailers :)

Unless you ordered one from Dell.  I ordered 1 in October, and it still hasn’t shipped :(

Posted by TheMadHatter on December 23, 2003 at 10:31 PM (CST)

I know this may be a bit late, but i live in Oxford (UK) and if you are looking for some, i bought my 20GB one from Virgin Megastore in oxford and they told me that they had loads left! (only place i could find one though! so they are prob all gone by now!)

Posted by Zvaan on December 24, 2003 at 5:57 AM (CST)

MadHatter:

Dell isn’t selling iPods any more. Good luck ever getting it.

That’s what amazes me about Dell. Shoddy products, horrible customer service, unreliable service delivery, but they hand out a few coupons so people go bananas for them! Steve Jobs was completely correct when he said Dell was the Wal-Mart of computer companies. And that’s exactly what people should expect out of them.

How on earth can you be still waiting for an order after 3 months! That is completely unbelievable.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on December 24, 2003 at 7:52 AM (CST)

Tell me about it. I’ve called them 4x about this (I think they want me to cancel my order.) If it wasn’t for the great deal I’m getting on the 40GB, I’d tell them to take a flyin’ leap, but now it’s become a mission! ;-)  I can wait.  I still have my 30GB to tide me over.

Posted by TheMadHatter on December 24, 2003 at 2:25 PM (CST)

Atomic Bomb why is it every time you open your mouth it is to either diss Dell or some non-iPod audio player? Give it a rest.

And as for this article, I think Mr Gary Parkinson, deputy editor, is probably a young ‘un because he said: “There has been phenomenal interest in the iPod. I don’t think we have ever experienced anything like it for a gadget.”.

This is patently false. The iPod is quite successful and surprisingly popular… for a niche item.

The most recent verified figures I’ve seen indicate a million iPod sales over the past 20 months.

Selling a million iPods in 20 months sounds impressive, but is not that huge a number when you realize that from 1979 to 1999 Sony managed to sell over 186 million Walkman cassette players, an average of over nine million a year. Apple still has a long way to go to before it’ll achieve the ubiquity that Sony once possessed.

Posted by MrT on December 29, 2003 at 4:54 PM (CST)

just wait 6 months and youl get 1 for sod all

Posted by techclub on June 30, 2004 at 5:17 AM (CDT)