BTI intros Tunestir iPod FM receiver/transmitter/remote | iLounge News

BTI intros Tunestir iPod FM receiver/transmitter/remote

pic Battery Technology, Inc. (BTI) has officially announced the Tunestir, its new three-in-one iPod FM radio receiver, transmitter, and remote control. The Tunestir, which was announced at Macworld Expo in January, is the first accessory to be released that enables users to tune in and listen to FM radio stations on their iPod. (Griffin announced the iFM receiver in 2003, but later canceled production.) The device allows users to program five favorite FM stations to listen to on their iPod, as well as five FM stations to transmit the music on their iPod to. The Tunestir is also an inline remote control with cord management features. It is compatible with all iPod models with Dock Connectors, including the 3G and 4G iPod, iPod mini, and iPod photo. The Tunestir will begin shipping later this month for $69.95.

pic

« ShuffleMate for iPod shuffle now shipping

Windows: iPod Access 2.3 released »

Comments

I want one. I just wish it looked a little cooler.

Posted by LC Angell on April 1, 2005 at 12:41 PM (CST)

Now if apple would just fix their firmware and stop crippling recording….

Posted by LC Angell on April 1, 2005 at 12:41 PM (CST)

So before this there was no way to listen to the radio on an iPod?

Posted by LC Angell on April 1, 2005 at 1:46 PM (CST)

“Listen to FM on your iPod” is a bit of a misnomer.  It’s more like, “plug this FM radio into your iPod and listen to it through the iPod’s headphones.”

If you don’t need the remote, or the FM transmitting capability, you can pick up an AM/FM radio that is about the same size, for under $10.

Posted by LC Angell on April 1, 2005 at 1:49 PM (CST)

‘April Fools’, right?  Nothing about it but a picture on their site.

Posted by LC Angell on April 1, 2005 at 2:27 PM (CST)

What do you need the iPod for then?  To supply power to this radio?  Why not just buy a radio that uses batteries?

Guess I don’t get it.

Posted by LC Angell on April 1, 2005 at 2:36 PM (CST)

If the iPod could record the radio that would make this a sub-par product…otherwise it is just a radio that is powered by the ipod and includes a fm transmitter and remote…buying a small radio would be cheaper…especially if you don’t need the latter two.

Posted by LC Angell on April 1, 2005 at 2:48 PM (CST)

$70? Kiss my a$$!

Posted by LC Angell on April 1, 2005 at 4:38 PM (CST)

Yeah it’s not terribly portable either.

Can’t use it at the gym or take in on the go unless that thing attaches to the iPod magnetically or something.

Posted by LC Angell on April 1, 2005 at 5:25 PM (CST)

I’d only buy it if I could actually RECORD the audio from the radio. PLUS hey you engineering and/or marketing retards, AM radio still exists, and I want to listen to AM radio too.

Posted by LC Angell on April 2, 2005 at 2:13 AM (CST)

first off—this looks like some sort of new-fangled rectal thermometer… secondly, the ONLY reason i would even consider buying a parasitic ipod radio attachment is for the AM stations.  i have all the music i want on my ipod, but some talk radio would be nice… well… nice, so long as it’s not rush or hannity.

Posted by LC Angell on April 2, 2005 at 3:29 AM (CST)

Petro, after a long night at work (I’m a nurse) I just have to tell you I about fell off my chair laughing at your comments. Thanx for the chuckle! BTW, if you want some GOOD talk radio on your iPod…head over to airamericaplace.com and download some progressive talk show mp3’s for your iPod. They’re usually posted right after the broadcast, less the commercials. Uh…to keep this on topic, I won’t be buying a Tunestir any time soon. ;-)

Posted by LC Angell on April 2, 2005 at 6:51 AM (CST)

Pickme, I’d like to see this radio you’re talking about. I’ve been searching for a small, cheap AM/FM radio for a long time, and I have not been able to come up with anything this small, and I while I have certainly found some under $10, the quality is pretty much terrible.

Posted by LC Angell on April 2, 2005 at 10:36 AM (CST)

It’s 3 products in one. If you don’t want all 3, done in that way (I don’t!) then obviously it’s not for you.

But if you do, then it’s pretty cool I think!

Posted by LC Angell on April 2, 2005 at 11:47 AM (CST)

It looks clumsy and crude. Like something you’d expect to see on a late-80s walkman.

Posted by LC Angell on April 2, 2005 at 12:31 PM (CST)

It looks like something that would have gone with the first ipod.

I agree,where the hell is the AM radio? If portable cd players can have it then why not mp3 players?

While many large markets are adding FM talk stations most small markets still get thier talk and sports from AM so for many FM is 95% music and with an mp3 player logic would indicate that you’d turn on the radio for a break from music,maybe to check the score of the ballgame or whatever.

Posted by LC Angell on April 2, 2005 at 12:43 PM (CST)

Personally I have more need for an FM Radio rather than a AM radio as I dont listen to talk back all thought I would love to get at least one sports channel alas.

I aloo have need for a transmitter and a remote. Hopefully they might re-do the look and all. Im on the maybe at the moment but if they change the look I’ll probably get it. Depending on review from iPodLounge of course

Posted by LC Angell on April 2, 2005 at 10:33 PM (CST)

might have been cooler if they took the text off the face of the remote, and left the icons to tell the story.  And then moved the side switch to the back like the ipodshuffle.  Just a thought…

Posted by LC Angell on April 3, 2005 at 8:37 AM (CDT)

The transmitter part is probably better than most.  I like the itrip but it has always been annoying to switch stations (especially while driving): turn off the music, pick a better station on the radio, play the station code on the ipod, then find what you were listening to and play that…and on long trips you need to do this way too often. Other transmitters are either too big, or they only let you pick from a few freqencies.  So this appears to be the only small transmitter that lets you pick from any frequency without stopping the music.

Posted by LC Angell on April 3, 2005 at 10:40 AM (CDT)

just saw the new itrip w/lcd…forget everything i just said ;0

Posted by LC Angell on April 3, 2005 at 11:20 AM (CDT)