BTI intros Tunestir iPod FM receiver/transmitter/remote | iLounge News

BTI intros Tunestir iPod FM receiver/transmitter/remote

pic Battery Technology, Inc. (BTI) has officially announced the Tunestir, its new three-in-one iPod FM radio receiver, transmitter, and remote control. The Tunestir, which was announced at Macworld Expo in January, is the first accessory to be released that enables users to tune in and listen to FM radio stations on their iPod. (Griffin announced the iFM receiver in 2003, but later canceled production.) The device allows users to program five favorite FM stations to listen to on their iPod, as well as five FM stations to transmit the music on their iPod to. The Tunestir is also an inline remote control with cord management features. It is compatible with all iPod models with Dock Connectors, including the 3G and 4G iPod, iPod mini, and iPod photo. The Tunestir will begin shipping later this month for $69.95.

pic

« ShuffleMate for iPod shuffle now shipping

Windows: iPod Access 2.3 released »

Comments

iTrip doesn’t have an LCD.  That’s another product.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on April 4, 2005 at 5:17 AM (PDT)

Joshdude:
The unit I have is the Coby CX-7 and it can be found on the Internet for around 7.99-9.99.  There is also a CX-9 that has a digital tuner, channel memory, and a few other features for around $14.99.

I mainly use it for listening to local AM to catch sporting events, and for that, it seems to work fine.  It’s highly portable, comes with a nice neck lanyard and earbuds.  I just picked it up in the checkout aisle of a local movie rental shop one day.  It’s certainly not top of the line equipment, but for under $10, you can only expect so much.

If they had the CX-9 at the time, I probably would have went that way for the digital tuner.  Heck, I’ll probably still get one and give my old one to my kids.

Posted by pickme on April 4, 2005 at 5:43 AM (PDT)

I see a problem with the cable where it attaches to the iPod.  If it is at all like the iPod remote cables and it appears to be very similar, then it won’t take much to damage the connection.  The slightest tug or pull on the connector near the iPod seems to kill the sound in one or both ears.  I would hate to make the whole unit useless because of one tug on the connecting cable-especially at $70.  It would have been much better to make the cable removeable from the radio end so it could be easily replaced.

Also the lock button shoul be on the side.  It would be much more effective removed from the same plane as the buttons it is to prevent from getting pressed.

I also agree an AM radio and the ability to record from the radio to the iPod would make this a really nice unit.  Even worth the $70

Posted by tdog on April 4, 2005 at 6:09 AM (PDT)

wco81 - I’m 100% positive you wouldn’t want to attach ANYTHING magnetically to your iPod.

Hard Drives + Magnets = Bad

I’d dare you to try it, but I’d feel like an ### after you wiped out your hard drive smile

Posted by ACLeroK212 on April 4, 2005 at 11:43 AM (PDT)

remote? put a wire an extend the controls and it becomes a remote? why not just use the controls on the pod? If on the other hand they can make that remote, i will have a better liking of this part. Then it is also too big, and not too pretty, design wise… improvement would be appreciated. Hey if anybody wants to make money, make a separate fm receiver about as big as the itrip, and even if it simply looks good, holds unto and powers from the ipod with proper controls, I will be their first customer!

Posted by Bluecoconut on April 5, 2005 at 4:18 AM (PDT)

I recieved email to-day 06/04/2005 that this reciever will be released in three weeks & to check their web site then as it will be available.

Posted by emjayare in australia on April 5, 2005 at 5:34 PM (PDT)

Hey guys, what is up with all this language.  You all need to grow up!  I do agree that this seems like it might be a little obtrusive and very expensvie.  However I workout at a gym where there are tvs to tune into through radio stations and I would love to be able to do that with the ipod instead of carrying two pieces of equipment.  It does look like it needs some more work to master though!

Posted by Fluffy27 on April 7, 2005 at 5:32 PM (PDT)

i want to listen to ball games on AM radio. Theres no point anyway. who wants to sit in the car with headphones on when u can just listen through the car. u can at least make an AM radio transmitter also.

Posted by seee on April 30, 2005 at 11:49 AM (PDT)

i dont want to record anything, i just want to listen to met games when im at school or somthing.

Posted by seee on April 30, 2005 at 11:52 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2