Burton AMP Jacket and New iPod Solution
iLounger Travis Stratford submitted a news item detailing his frustration about the initial incompatibility of new iPods and the Burton Amp Jacket. For anyone with new iPod and Amp Jacket, there is a solution: the Amp Jacket Interface by Dr Bott.
A few weeks ago, I purchased the Burton AMP jacket from the Apple Store. I knew Apple would soon release new iPods, so I waited a few weeks before buying my iPod that would accompany the jacket. As soon as the new iPods were released, I purchased a 30 GB version at the NYC Apple Store (the first day they went on sale). That same night, I took the iPod home and “installed” it into my jacket. To my astonishment and horror, the new iPod did not work properly in my jacket (the ear-plug cord did not sit firmly in the new iPod and the jacket’s sleeve “controls” did not operate correctly.) ...
The next day, I called Apple and let them know I was having problems. At first, they thought something was defective with either the jacket or the iPod; but they later informed me the new iPods are NOT compatible with the AMP Jacket.
With this being the case—and after spending over $1,000 on both items—I was expecting some increased level of customer service to make the jacket ‘compatible’ with the iPod. Come on, Apple is a technology powerhouse—I’m sure they could figure something out. At the very least, I was expecting some sympathy or understanding. But instead of offering to help me resolve the situation, they simply told me they ‘did not support’ the jacket because they no longer offered it for sale. They said I could return the iPod but that I couldn’t return the jacket. Basically, they told me I was out of luck.
After my disappointing discussions with Apple, I contacted Burton directly and inquired what they could do for me. They offered no solutions either but instead told me to check with Radio Shack in the coming months. The Burton rep seemed to think that Radio Shack makes adapters for all possible appliances and applications. Why in the world would Radio Shack mass produce an adapter that only a small handful of people would end up using with their iPod and AMP Jacket? Anyway, Burton offered no other solution and told me I was out-of-luck.
I also contacted SOFTswitch, the company that manufactures the jacket’s built-in electronics. After receiving an initial email acknowledgment of the problem—and a note promising more information—I have heard nothing more. Repeated emails have gone unanswered. Am I totally out-of-luck or is there a solution to this?
Needless to say, I feel cheated by Apple (and by Burton to a lesser extent). Has anyone found a solution for using the new iPods with the Burton AMP jacket? Can anyone contact Steve Jobs and have him slap around his customer service people?
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 4 to developers, adds Apple Watch support
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- Apple found not guilty in iPod, iTunes Store lock-in suit
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 2 to developers
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.2, fixing missing ringtones issue
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly comes out Monday, subscribe now
- Verizon to allow users to opt out of web tracking ‘supercookies’
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1 update, adds Notification Center widget
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- RooCase ORB Tablet System
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- How do I turn off Reachability on the iPhone 6 Plus?
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards