Burton AMP Jacket and New iPod Solution
iLounger Travis Stratford submitted a news item detailing his frustration about the initial incompatibility of new iPods and the Burton Amp Jacket. For anyone with new iPod and Amp Jacket, there is a solution: the Amp Jacket Interface by Dr Bott.
A few weeks ago, I purchased the Burton AMP jacket from the Apple Store. I knew Apple would soon release new iPods, so I waited a few weeks before buying my iPod that would accompany the jacket. As soon as the new iPods were released, I purchased a 30 GB version at the NYC Apple Store (the first day they went on sale). That same night, I took the iPod home and “installed” it into my jacket. To my astonishment and horror, the new iPod did not work properly in my jacket (the ear-plug cord did not sit firmly in the new iPod and the jacket’s sleeve “controls” did not operate correctly.) ...
The next day, I called Apple and let them know I was having problems. At first, they thought something was defective with either the jacket or the iPod; but they later informed me the new iPods are NOT compatible with the AMP Jacket.
With this being the case—and after spending over $1,000 on both items—I was expecting some increased level of customer service to make the jacket ‘compatible’ with the iPod. Come on, Apple is a technology powerhouse—I’m sure they could figure something out. At the very least, I was expecting some sympathy or understanding. But instead of offering to help me resolve the situation, they simply told me they ‘did not support’ the jacket because they no longer offered it for sale. They said I could return the iPod but that I couldn’t return the jacket. Basically, they told me I was out of luck.
After my disappointing discussions with Apple, I contacted Burton directly and inquired what they could do for me. They offered no solutions either but instead told me to check with Radio Shack in the coming months. The Burton rep seemed to think that Radio Shack makes adapters for all possible appliances and applications. Why in the world would Radio Shack mass produce an adapter that only a small handful of people would end up using with their iPod and AMP Jacket? Anyway, Burton offered no other solution and told me I was out-of-luck.
I also contacted SOFTswitch, the company that manufactures the jacket’s built-in electronics. After receiving an initial email acknowledgment of the problem—and a note promising more information—I have heard nothing more. Repeated emails have gone unanswered. Am I totally out-of-luck or is there a solution to this?
Needless to say, I feel cheated by Apple (and by Burton to a lesser extent). Has anyone found a solution for using the new iPods with the Burton AMP jacket? Can anyone contact Steve Jobs and have him slap around his customer service people?
- Apple releases third betas for iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2, and watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Apple releases second betas for iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2, and watchOS 3.2 to developers
- IBM announces Enterprise iOS app collaboration with United Airlines
- Apple deletes ‘Check Activation Lock Status’ page from iCloud website
- Apple releases first iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2 betas
- Apple releases iOS 10.2.1
Subscribe to iLounge Weekly
- iDevices adds dynamic automation, enhanced scheduling to ‘Connected’ app for HomeKit
- Apple reports that iOS 10.2.1 significantly reduces unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10