Burton Audex jacket offers iPod, cell phone connectivity | iLounge News

Burton Audex jacket offers iPod, cell phone connectivity

imageMotorola and Burton Snowboards today announced the Audex jacket, which offers connectivity for iPods and Bluetooth-enabled mobile phones. The $600 jacket features a removable control panel located on the left-hand sleeve, allowing for “simple and easy access to your incoming and outgoing calls, and music selections.” Cell phones connect to the panel wirelessly via Bluetooth, while an iPod is hooked up via “hidden, unobtrusive wires within the jacket.” It offers playlist, artist, album and track navigation, volume up/down and play/pause/stop via a click wheel style button. Speakers and a microphone are located in the hood for taking and making calls as well as listening to music. The Audex jacket works with any 3G or newer iPod.

« iPod Express checkout at Apple retail stores

Griffin intros PowerBlock charger, new iTrip in black »

Comments

I remember when an ilounger said that he worked for a company that tested this jacket, like a few months before the nano came out. Nobody believed him. (Kudos, wherever you are!)

The only question I have about this jacket is, “Why?”.

Posted by Rick on December 9, 2005 at 10:45 AM (CST)

Why is this plethora of products out there that just have “I WANT TO BE SMACKED IN PUBLIC FOR BEING ANTISOCIAL WITH MY SAMEFUL TASTE IN MUSIC” written all over them?

Posted by Bad Beaver on December 9, 2005 at 11:14 AM (CST)

“The only question I have about this jacket is, “Why?

Posted by Joshua on December 9, 2005 at 11:40 AM (CST)

Well, I can think of a possible reason for such a jacket. I take several trips to colorado every year to go snowboarding with friends of mine that live in the denver area. Most those friends have season passes to the summit area. A lot of them drive up into the mountains a couple times a week to go riding. They come and go as their schedules fit but usually meet up on the slopes with other friends. They use their cell phones on the slopes to find out where everyone is at. The cell coverage on the slopes is amazingly good these days and you lose all the interference that happens with 2-way radios since so many people carry them on the mountain. Having a jacket like this would make it easy to call your friends while on the lift between runs and what not. Maybe the jacket isn’t for everyone but I can see this as a beneficial jacket for those that are on the slopes a lot. Burton after all, makes mountain gear. Also, a lot of mountain locals will ski half days and go into work the other half on days when they get dumped on with lots of fresh snow. It can easily allow them to keep in touch with the office should anything come up while they are on the slopes without always having to fumble for their phone and take their gloves off in the cold environment. At $600 I don’t think I will be getting one anytime (soon) but hey… it is what it is. Some people may find it worth it.

Posted by toby on December 9, 2005 at 1:05 PM (CST)

ESPECIALLY when I am on the slopes I can happily live WITHOUT other people blaring music from their collars. In fact I can live without people putting on the aural ignoramus in any circumstance that would need their full ear. This inkludes skiing, driving a bike or a car, and basically all other occasions where good common sense tells you “I should hear what’s going on 100%”.

Of course this jacket is nice for regular winter use if you use headphones, the control board with display is nice. As with all those recent Griffin accessories my ususal gripe is that will there hardly be a dock-connector pass-through.

Posted by Bad Beaver on December 9, 2005 at 1:18 PM (CST)

Why would you need a dock connector pass-through built into a coat?  How many devices do you want to run concealed within your outerwear?  Are two not enough?

I prefer the soft fabric control buttons that Burton had on the sleeve of their original iPod coat combination.  I was really hoping that they would release a version of the original product with 5G support.  I also hope that the iPod pocket in the coat is still armoured to shield it a bit from skiing related falls.  I am all for sleeve control for the iPod, because fiddling with the click wheel when it is -15 to -20 degrees outside is a pain, but I could live without the Bluetooth.

Posted by Maher on December 9, 2005 at 3:31 PM (CST)