BusinessWeek: Apple’s iPod season looms | iLounge News

BusinessWeek: Apple’s iPod season looms

The lack of major iPod announcements this year has Apple watchers speculating on new product introductions—from updated iPod nanos to an iPhone—which they see happening in the coming weeks. BusinessWeek notes that the only new iPod released this year has been a slight revision of the special edition U2 iPod, and that Apple is known for its Fall special events for new products. “It isn’t as if Apple has been idle. The company focused throughout most of 2006 on its Macintosh computer line, completing the transition to using microprocessors from Intel,” the publication reports. “And then there’s history. Last year, the iPod nano debuted on Sept. 7 and the video-capable iPod bowed on Oct. 12, a schedule that made both products strong players in the fourth calendar quarter… Analysts generally agree: There’s no way Apple is going to sit out the fall quarter.”

« American Idol’s Taylor Hicks sues over iTunes releases

AOL launching full-length movie downloads »

Comments

i love my 20GB 4G color iPod but there is only 1GB left free on it so i will be forced to upgrade in size and i am just patiently wating for an upgrade, one larger than 60GB so i don’t have to buy another one for a while. i know a new one is coming.

Posted by mike H on August 24, 2006 at 1:32 PM (CDT)

They had better announce something very soon.  I broke down and bought a nano last weekend.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on August 25, 2006 at 12:33 AM (CDT)

I agree on all counts…I’m ready for a 100 or 120 gig sixth gen.  If it would have been months ago 80 gigs would have sufficed but by now so much time has passed that the guys in Cupertino are ready to really ‘wow’ us again.  Galley-I wish we could have spoken earlier….as a semi-collector I would have begged you to steer clear of the nano, which is by the far the most inferior iPod to date.  It doesn’t take long before the buttons stick (as well as other gripes).  The ‘select’ button in the middle is barely raised on the nano which makes navigation tricky in most instances, especially in the dark.  While the color and photo features are a much added plus, for a few more dollars per gigabyte you could be enjoying the fifth gen 30 gig right now and be watching movies!

Posted by andrew Chasnoff on August 25, 2006 at 1:28 AM (CDT)

Movies are not that important to certain people. I moved from my 5th gen 60GB video to a 2 GB Nano because of size… Music is more important than movies to certain people

Posted by applefreak on August 25, 2006 at 1:32 AM (CDT)

I bet apple pulls the entire ipod line from production and buys a huge HUGE limo, one with a bowling alley and a firing range and a pool and a recording studio and a full-sized refrigrator and a black hole and a dicso ball and a putting green and ten or eleven cats and HOT SAUCE!!! and corn on the cob and the space program and wikipedia.com in book form and most of the UN and a fire hydrant and party favors and all kinds of bootleg wood and firewood.

I bet that’s what is in store for apple in the 4’th quarter.

Posted by bootleg_wood_and_firewood on August 25, 2006 at 2:47 AM (CDT)

applefreak—I would love the chance at owning a high gig iPod.  Once you fill it with music/podcasts/audiobooks, the 4th gen 20 gig can require a lot of attention if you are acquiring new music often.  Just think, you fill an iPod out of the box with the music you have already, but you never stop acquiring more and more music.  The only time I can dig the nano is when I’ve got a few new cd’s that I know I’m going to want to enjoy non-stop for days.  the size is charming in your fifth pocket, and the nano-minis with 8 gig specks should be among the next big announcements.  photos in your pocket is also pretty amazing in that crystal nano quality.  Off subject….picked up ten nano covers for $10 on ebay this week—-what a steal!

Posted by andrew Chasnoff on August 25, 2006 at 3:46 AM (CDT)

bootleg_wood_and_firewood, that has to be the most irreverent post ever!

Posted by zapod on August 25, 2006 at 8:35 AM (CDT)

We will see the same thing happen with ipods as we did last summer.

First the new nano with 8 gb flash mem.
Then a month later a new 40 gb and 80 gb video ipod, not much bigger than the 5th gen ones.

Then we will see flash based ipods from now on.

Posted by mango on August 25, 2006 at 9:16 AM (CDT)

woah freaky applefreak i did the exact same thing as you, i felt my 60 gb 5G was so big and i felt like it was dumb when i hardly watched movies and i only listen to like 500 songs or so, which is why id wongraded to a 2gb nano and i have to say i find it alot better then the ipod with video.

Posted by aaron on August 25, 2006 at 10:32 AM (CDT)

yeah I agree with mango.. I think there will just be memory increases on existing lines, no actual new ipod. which is why I don’t feel bad about picking up a refurb 5g 30gb for $199. while i’m closing in on the 20gb in my bw 4g (which i have to reset several times a day and hit on table when the sad ipod face comes up) 30gb will do me for some time. and I save $100.

Posted by jm on August 25, 2006 at 11:25 AM (CDT)

jm—-I hear you on the refurbed 30 gig.  I’d pay $200 for a good one this week, no doubt about it.  Whenever any of my friends pull theirs out I always love the feel of it.  Just think…with most other mp3 players on the market, two bills in many cases represents about 6 or so gigs w/limited capabilities.  Good find—what color did you end up with?

Posted by andrew Chasnoff on August 27, 2006 at 3:34 AM (CDT)