BusinessWeek: ‘I applaud the actions of the Neistat brothers’ | iLounge News

BusinessWeek: ‘I applaud the actions of the Neistat brothers’

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, December 11, 2003
News Categories: iPod

BusineesWeek’s Alex Salkever has written an article about the recent ‘iPod Dirty Secret’ video by the Neistat brothers, and applauds their actions in the hopes to teach Apple a lesson.

“This situation is hardly unique to Apple. Most computer owners I know say the support they receive, Wintel or Mac, is spotty at best. And to be fair, my experience with support from other PC companies has been on par with my experiences with Apple. Most computer users just seem to shrug and live with it. That’s not a good thing, in my view. Which is why I applaud the actions of the Neistat brothers, Casey and Van, and hope they are taken as a lesson at One Infinite Loop. Here’s a summary of their tale of digital disobedience.”

« Belkin Tunecast Mobile FM Transmitter for $20 at Best Buy

Macworld UK: iPod makes the headlines »

Comments

i agree, the way they produced and released the video did seem publicity-hungry. that detail probably worked against them, more than helped.

even if you’re trying to communicate a valid message, it’ll be a lot more acceptable to the public if you release it without any selfish agendas.

Posted by eric on December 11, 2003 at 12:45 PM (PDT)

Twitch - i agree its a pointless conversation, but im finding it very interesting. And the title of the topic does say “I applaud the actions of the neistat brothers”, and so we are discussing those actions.

Yes the article wasn’t advocating vandalism, i totally agree, and was simply trying to say that what they did wasnt exactly a seriously harmful crime - consumers making their points known can only be beneficial to them.

And after all this, i really REALLY hope that my ipod battery doesnt die on me - that would be totally ironic grin

Posted by dmeineck on December 11, 2003 at 12:51 PM (PDT)

Ok, this is getting rediculous. The Neistat brothers were wrong- the battery is replacable. Case closed! Dammit, I thought the discusion was closed, but nooo, back to square one. If anyone can show me one ounce of credibility that these guys did “the right thing”, and actually caused a positive change, please let me know, because I’m DYING to find out.

Posted by Sam on December 11, 2003 at 1:04 PM (PDT)

dmeineck:

The whole poster-sticking thing is kind of sketchy. Theoretically, Apple has permission to post their poster on that spot. Whatever. It really doesn’t matter - the point is these guys were actually breaking the law and then they made and distributed a video showing them doing so.

I won’t even get into the legal issues involving their apparent taping of their phone conversation with Apple Care - which they put into their video. They can do that legally in NY, but not in California - where the Apple Care call would be received. Again, too much legal crap for this topic.

Another issue is their apparent hijacking of a Waste Management dumpster. Once they remove it from its rightful place, that’s theft. Whatever, though, I mean we aren’t being nitpicky here, you know?

Frankly, I like the guys. They have balls and they brought up a topic that needed to be outed. This has actually turned into really good PR for Apple in a lot of respects, and after all, all publicity is good publicity. Well, maybe not. But in this case it seems to have worked out that way. Especially considering the brothers’ recent professions of Apple loyalty.

Posted by Atomic Bomb on December 11, 2003 at 1:08 PM (PDT)

Atomic, thanks for the reply man. I guess in the US the law can get very conplicated when laws differ between states but crime can span multiple ones!

At least the apple battery can be replaced, and apple did respond positively to the stunt.

It would be nice if the battery was external and therefore user replaceable, but that could have a detrimental impact on its nice design.

Posted by dmeineck on December 11, 2003 at 1:12 PM (PDT)

Apple’s Battery Replacement Plan wasn’t IN RESPONCE to the video.Puh-leez. I actually believe it came out a day PRIOR to the release of the video. Can anyone follow up on this? Either way, I don’t believe that Apple drew up the Replacement Plan in a few days. Anyway, 3rd party battery replacements were also available (and were highly reliable) prior to the video. So just flush any sense of them doing us a favor down the toilet, which is where it belongs.

Posted by Sam on December 11, 2003 at 1:19 PM (PDT)

Did i mention that the replacement plan was in response to the video? No. As Sam says…“Puh-leez” wink

I said apple responded positively - ie. they made clear to their employees about the plan, and havent attempted to sue the lads, seing as they were damaging apple property, albeit in a very small way.

Posted by dmeineck on December 11, 2003 at 1:35 PM (PDT)

This cretin has followed the example of the idiot brothers. Does he not know that they deliberately lied, deliberately made an entirely misleading video (which they knew to be factually incorrect) and did it for publicity.

The iPod’s battery lasts at least 18 months (some may give out at about that point) but is user replaceable. I replaced mine (which was losing capacity a bit - I was nearly down to an 8 hour life!) well before this stupid video.

And now he’s raised the issue again - a non issue, but one which will harm Apple’s sales.

What a complete f****** idiot.

Posted by Jacko N on December 11, 2003 at 1:37 PM (PDT)

Jacko - chill out man, no need to get abusive, this is a discussion forum, not a slanging match.

Posted by dmeineck on December 11, 2003 at 1:41 PM (PDT)

“Does he not know that they deliberately lied, deliberately made an entirely misleading video”

Hey there Jocko man, the Bros are cool, very very cool.

Graffiti is cool.

Street art is cool.

Pirate video is cool.

The Bros know this and you do not.

iPods are not cool. People without cool buy iPods because they think that makes them cool (because Apple tells them so). But this is not so. Cool people make their iPods cool. Cool people can even make an Archos cool.

It doesn’t matter how your mp3 player looks. What makes you cool is what’s on your player, and what you do with it. What cool sounds you’ve sampled or recorded or made, and how your can share them.

It must really bug you that the wise Bros have, with one small video, become more cool than you will ever be in your uncool life.

Be cool!

Posted by WackoJacko on December 11, 2003 at 2:30 PM (PDT)

Culture Jamming, or sniggling, is the act of using existing mass media to comment on those very media themselves, using the original medium’s communication method. It is based on the idea that advertising is little more than propaganda for established interests, and that there is little escape from this propaganda in industrialized nations. Culture jamming differs from artistic appropriation (which is done for art’s sake), and from vandalism where destruction or defacement is the primary goal.

Culture jamming is a form of activism and a resistance movement to the hegemony of popular culture, based on the ideas of “guerrilla communication” and the “detournement” of popular icons and ideas. It has roots in the German concept of spass guerilla, and the Situationist International. Forms of culture jamming include adbusting, performance art, graffiti art and hacktivism (notably cyber squatting).

Examples of Culture Jamming:
    Billboard modifications, done in the style of the original billboard.

Posted by Culture Jamming on December 11, 2003 at 2:31 PM (PDT)

The iPod’s battery lasts at least 18 months (some may give out at about that point) but is user replaceable.”

sure it’s user replaceable… but so is a refrigerator water valve.

it voids your warranty, and usually isn’t something you really want to do yourself

Posted by eric on December 11, 2003 at 3:04 PM (PDT)

Voids your warranty? Warranty is 12 months, how would replacing a battery in month 18 void a warranty that expired 6 months ago?

Posted by rdowns in NYC on December 11, 2003 at 4:28 PM (PDT)

JackoWacko, it’s not cool to pretend you’re cool. ######.

Posted by Sam on December 11, 2003 at 5:11 PM (PDT)

“Graffiti is cool.

Street art is cool.

Pirate video is cool.”

then:

“Cool people make their iPods cool. Cool people can even make an Archos cool.”

So what’s being said is, one becomes cool when you videotape yourself spraying grafitti, and after thusly attaining the status of cool, your iPod or Archos or whatever will become cool as well, but not until then. Mmmkay.

Personally, I think being true to one’s self makes them cool, as opposed to buying an iPod or deciding to take up grafitti art with the aim of becoming cool.

I mean, I do get your point, but, “coolness” is in the mind of the beholder, as this lengthy thread demonstrates. If someone disagrees with the video, it doesn’t make someone uncool. This whole affair, including what makes you “cool,” is very high school anyway. Yawn.

Posted by monkedsel on December 11, 2003 at 5:50 PM (PDT)

Do the Apple fanboys want to comment on the legality of some of the locations of those Apple ads that were “vandalized?”

Posted by stark23x on December 11, 2003 at 8:24 PM (PDT)

Sammy Boy, I never claimed to be cool. But I do know cool when I see it. The Bros are cool, Jocko is not cool.

And you are def not cool, Sammy Boy, and here’s a cool tip. Don’t type ######, type f u c k e r.

Posted by WackoJacko on December 11, 2003 at 8:55 PM (PDT)

yeah these guys are tools who need a friggin hobby.  ya know what’s really not cool is making such a big deal out of this.  They’re jackasses making a video about something they think they need to spraypaint all over the place in order to make a name for himselves.  MOVE THE HELL ON. THEY’RE BOTH #####. GET A DAMN NEW BATTERY AND DON’T MAKE VIDEOS ABOUT HOW MUCH IT COSTS ESPECIALLY IF ITS NOT RIGHT.  The whole message is a lie. It’s misinformation plain and simple and yes it is vandalism.  IT’S SPRAYPAINT ON ADS IN A PUBLIC PLACE HOW IS THAT NOT VANDALISM!

Posted by Q on December 11, 2003 at 10:24 PM (PDT)

Does nobody here think that a piece of electrical equipment costing 400 should have a battery that lasts well in excess of 18 months? I’m aware that most will, but if mine dies in another year I will be seriously p***ed off if I have to pay a significant amount of money for a new battery.

How would you feel if your mobile phone battery was wasted after 18 months? The answer probably depends on how much you spent on it and I for one think it should last a damn sight longer. It’s hardly a cheap purchase in the first place.

So maybe it wasn’t the right way for these guys to go about making their point, but if the end result is that Apple improve the battery life significantly in the next gen then they get my applause.

Posted by bobsyerunkle on December 12, 2003 at 12:38 AM (PDT)

bobsyerunkle - Well said mate. I harldy consider having to unscrew or unsnap a device to replace a battery which is not widely available in most common stores that sell the device itself user replaceable.

Sure i would be able to get one and replace it being from my background, but if my girlfriend or my brother with no such skills were in such an unfortunate situation, they would be left with little alternative than to pay someone to do it or buy another ipod - a costly manouver.

So when i hear that it could die after 18 months and will costs $99 from apple to replace, the already expensive ipod (which i do love) suddenly becomes even more so.

I agree that the brothers stunt was more for self means, and that is obvious from the vid. Also i agree that they way they went about their stunt was also wrong. And i also agree that the actual point they were making was not fair, due to them not letting people know the whole story . but my point is that at least they did SOMETHING about it, even though they did it in completely the wrong manner.

Posted by dmeineck on December 12, 2003 at 2:46 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >