BusinessWeek looks at Nike/Apple partnership, Sport Kit | iLounge News

BusinessWeek looks at Nike/Apple partnership, Sport Kit

BusinessWeek has an article with several interesting details on the Apple and Nike partnership, as well as the Nike+iPod Sport Kit. The article says that Apple had approached Nike about being its MP3 player supplier, but that Nike executives had an idea for something bigger. Nike and Apple designers first met 18 months ago to create a smart shoe product, but were met with some challenges—the sneaker sensor was initially too big for Nike engineers and too small for Apple. Another challenge was battery life (close to 1,000 hours, which is said to outlast the shoes) and wireless technology. “Wireless takes power,” Apple CEO Steve Jobs said. “The last thing you wanted was a wire going down your leg. It looks deceptively simple and that’s how it should be. It took a while to get it right. But there is a lot of technology there.” Jobs said he also wanted to keep the price point low for the Sport Kit. “This thing is over 90% accurate right out of the box, which is huge. Something like this would normally cost a lot more money. We priced it so everyone can afford it because we want everyone to try it and experience how cool it is.”

« Pearson buys PowerSchool from Apple, plans iPod content

Griffin intros TuneBuds for iPod nano »

Comments

Of course you need to have some of the $160 shoes that this fits in.

Posted by Luke on May 24, 2006 at 12:23 PM (PDT)

no luke the shoes are only 100 a pair so out he door with shoes and system your looking at less then 150 which aint bad for what it has to offer.

Posted by BIGP in Texas on May 24, 2006 at 4:10 PM (PDT)

This is a great idea.  It is very innovative and is a first of a kind product for the ipod.  Yet the only problem is that it looks like you have to have the nike shoes for it.  Also, it seems to be only compatible with the nano.  I, being a marathon runner, would love this product, but nike shoes do not fit me correctly, and i dont have a nano, just a video.  Oh well, nice product though.

Posted by Josh on May 24, 2006 at 6:10 PM (PDT)

Nah! I think the nano thing is just a buzz word…would be stupid for them to limit to just the nano and not the video. Anyway sounds like a good idea especially at that price plus I need a new pair shoes so it works out at $85 a pair + kit(lowest..just hope it feels right on my feet)...would be cooler if you could use a generic heart rate strap with the wireless reciever

Posted by Petula on May 24, 2006 at 8:34 PM (PDT)

I WANT!

I would imagine that if you’re one of the many that thinks Nike shoes suck, you could potentially modify your existing pair of shoes to hide the little transponder thing somewhere under the foot insert.

Posted by Matt on May 25, 2006 at 12:15 AM (PDT)

This is cool but since I’ve given up running in favour of cycling (much easier to put a seat for my 2 years dughter behind the bike than running with her on my shoulders….) I would really like to see something similar for cycling. Any info if apple plans to do something like that?

Posted by smiduri on May 25, 2006 at 1:05 AM (PDT)

It sounds like it is a glorified pedometer. 90% accuracy is not good enough for most runners. I have still ordered one and am really excited to try it out.

Posted by Trish on May 25, 2006 at 6:41 AM (PDT)

90% seems low, but maybe that’s why the price is so low?  My Polar unit which uses a footpod for distance/pace info is ~98% accurate which works for me.

Be interesting to see how it works out and whether this thing flies long term.

Posted by good grief on May 25, 2006 at 11:11 AM (PDT)

It’s 90% accurate out of the box.  I am sure it uses the same technology (or at least similar) to the Nike SDM stuff.  So you can probably calibrate it on a track or known distance to get the accuracy closer to 99%.

Posted by runappelli on May 26, 2006 at 11:56 AM (PDT)

the Nikes are completely unnecessary….x-acto plus insoles and it will work in any shoes of your choosing

Posted by ccarni on May 26, 2006 at 1:08 PM (PDT)

This is amazing.  You two of the most innovative companies together and great things happen.  I cant imagine being on a HS track team and having this advantage. Coaches must be really excited. Way to go Apple!, Way to go Nike!!!.. I guess the “just did it”  grin

Posted by Bigen on May 26, 2006 at 5:37 PM (PDT)