BusinessWeek: The Chili Peppers’ Sour Grapes Over iTunes | iLounge News

BusinessWeek: The Chili Peppers’ Sour Grapes Over iTunes

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, July 15, 2003
News Categories: Digital Media

“These guys call themselves rock musicians? Where, I ask you, is their sense of storming the Establishment ramparts, of thumbing their noses at authority? Instead, by refusing to let Apple (AAPL ) sell their music online at the new iTunes Music Store, the Red Hot Chili Peppers are leading a vanguard in the wrong direction. They might as well put their clothes back on.

In truth, opposition makes little sense. Even some execs from the biggest labels have signed on to iTunes. Says Universal Music Group CEO Doug Morris, one of the album format’s inventors: ‘iTunes is pushing us into the future of how music is produced and consumed.’”

« Griffin Announces RadioSHARK and iFire

“What’s Missing From the iPod?” »

Comments

I take the music into account more than the artist when judging. That’s why I only see sell outs as people who let their music dwindle because they think their once huge fame can sell records just as well. That’s mostly why I think that it’s stupid to say the RHCP have sold out and become too MTV. I’ve never seen them appear on MTV other than their videos except I think one interview (though I don’t watch MTV much so don’t yell at me). BTW, System of a Down is a relatively new rock band so they really haven’t made their money. From a business standpoint it doesn’t make sense to make and album called “Steal this Album” but when you realize as I do that downloading these people and not buying the CD is just plain stupid. They make really good music and they know it, so making a CD with that title will still net them much money. I’ve had burnt copies and MP3s from incubus CDs and since I’ve bought three of four. I plan to get “Fungus Amongus” soon and hope to find “Enjoy incubus.” They’ve made 5 CDs and have been in the industry for 12 years and they don’t seem to care at all if you download them. I know, from being an artist and having a website (http://mail.usf.edu/~clay4/) with art I’d love it if people downloaded my pictures for them to view or to send to others. I only have a problem with people saying my work is theirs. Now I realize it’s different to make that your living, then it might be different. But I’d rather people save what they like and if they liked it enough to purchase prints or whatever. It’s flattery, plain and simple. But I get what you’re saying and I totally agree when we take it in your terms and when we take it in my terms. We’re pretty much saying the same thing.

Posted by zync on July 22, 2003 at 12:46 AM (PDT)

Oh and “These Arms of Mine” kicks ###. As Abe Simpson would say, now there’s a song you can set your watch to! Or dance, or whatever you’d like smile But then again what Otis Redding song isn’t great?

Posted by zync on July 22, 2003 at 12:48 AM (PDT)

Oh and I realize that you weren’t the one who said that RHCP was too MTV.

Posted by zync on July 22, 2003 at 12:51 AM (PDT)

Well, hey, thanks for the input.  I always appreciate a good banter now and then because it makes me think and it opens my eyes to other viewpoints.

Aaaah, yes…. the music industry…. what a strange industry it is, lol.

The rap artist thing - the Bentley’s and so forth… I was going to bring that up until I thought about something else regarding it… I would definitely agree that they loooove their money.  They certainly don’t dislike it!  But a lot of what they show in their videos and so forth, has much to do with image.  I don’t doubt you’re aware of this, but I know that with that particular genre (and genres like hip hop, and even R&B), it’s image before talent, because that’s what sells (not that talent isn’t important, of course).  The people that buy those records wouldn’t buy as much if it weren’t for all the materialism that the artists project in their album covers, jackets, and videos.  So maybe they haven’t sold out for money afterall… maybe they’re just doing what has to be done to sell records.  Every genre has its formula.  But then again, there are always exceptions, and perhaps they’re more common with rap artists… who knows?

Hendrix had some great music.  Another great guitarist/artist is Phil Keaggy. smile

Posted by Z on July 23, 2003 at 2:57 PM (PDT)

Yeah, I totally agree…nothing more for me to say about it…even the fact that I like intelligent conversation as well….

Posted by zync on July 23, 2003 at 3:20 PM (PDT)

is there any way to get my kazaa songs onto my ipod??????????im a new user

Posted by jeff on December 26, 2003 at 12:40 PM (PDT)

Page 3 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3