“BuyMusic.com blocks Mac access” | iLounge News

“BuyMusic.com blocks Mac access”

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Friday, July 25, 2003
News Categories: Digital Media

Macminute reports that BuyMusic.com has blocked access to Mac users. The page starts to load then it’s redirected to the following message; “Thank you for visiting BuyMusic.com. In order to take full advantage of BuyMusic.com’s offerings you must be on a Windows Operating System using Internet Explorer version 5.0 or higher.”

Also noted is a tutorial by MacMerc.com to enable the Safari browser to act like Windows MSIE6.

« ‘iPod: The Missing Manual’ book released

Dr. Mac: BuyMusic isn’t .com-parable to Mac’s iTunes »

Comments

I AM INSULTED!!!! I use windows but i also boot into Linux and am a open source supporter. I use Mozilla Firebird not Internet Explorer, Firebird is a much much much better browser. It’s faster, it has tabs, it has pop-up blocking and can block images. Not to mention themes and the mouse gestures that i use daily. I say: BOYCOTT BUYMUSIC.COM!!!!

Posted by Dylan Bailey on July 25, 2003 at 8:31 AM (PDT)

It’s not hard for me to boycott them when I can’t even see their website. I find it more fun to constantly reload their “please use ie/win” message all day—just in case they check the web logs… wink

Posted by Pensive Chimp in Hollywood Park, Texas on July 25, 2003 at 8:46 AM (PDT)

Well, Apple did the same thing by allowing their iTMS to only be functional on a Mac. You shouldnt be at all surprised or mad. You’re not missing much!

Posted by Stasyna on July 25, 2003 at 8:51 AM (PDT)

thats cos its not possible to intergrate iTMS onto windows yet, they are working on it at least, buymusic could easily let mac users use their site, but do they? noooooooooo

Posted by ti on July 25, 2003 at 8:57 AM (PDT)

ya i agree with ti, if there were technical limitaions which restricted buymusic to work on a MAC i would understand.

I mean everyone gets soo worked up about Itunes not being on windows. but they have to understand, Apple makes their own hardware and software, so they have full control. in PC world, there are soo many different companies which produce hardware.

so to creat a fool proof software for a PC and Windows Environment is a lot of difficult.

also i think the only reason music industry agreed to apples Itunes Music Store was becuse it was to be available to a very small number of people, so they wanted a no risk trial. now that they know it works well, they will allow apple to port to PC.

and by the way, i am not a MAC User, i am a PC user.

Posted by fradac on July 25, 2003 at 9:21 AM (PDT)

Hey ti:

We don’t need iTMS on Windows to download music from Apple. They can just give us a AAC plugin for WinAMP. (It already exists, Apple needs to only add their DRM crap). And voila Windows users are happyly downloading songs from Apple.

No having iTunes for windows is no excuse for Apple not opening the store to windows users.

Posted by pbox on July 25, 2003 at 9:25 AM (PDT)

pbox please explain to me how adding a plugin allows us to download songs in aac format. last time i checked winamp wasnt kazaa

Posted by justin on July 25, 2003 at 10:36 AM (PDT)

You Mac people sure are a snobby group.  Just one of the reason I won’t buy a Mac.

I can’t buy any AAC files from iTunes even though I have the capability to play them.  But when someone else does it it’s suddenly a serious crime.

All BuyMusic is doing is preventing morons from downloading music they won’t be able to play.  They probably got deluged with calls from people who downloaded on a Mac and then couldn’t play the files.

Deal with it.  If iTunes is so superior why do you give a rat’s ### about BuyMusic anyway?

Posted by Andrew McDonald on July 25, 2003 at 10:37 AM (PDT)

“You Mac people sure are a snobby group. Just one of the reason I won’t buy a Mac.”

really?  that seems kinda stupid.  why let a company’s customer base influence your choice?  that’s like saying i won’t buy a honda cause i don’t like all those idiots with the powder blue paint jobs and piles of stickers.  then again, i don’t let my toys define who i am as a person.

“They probably got deluged with calls from people who downloaded on a Mac and then couldn’t play the files.”

uh… no.

Posted by Box on July 25, 2003 at 10:54 AM (PDT)

Whatever, you are the kind of person that starts flame wars, why don’t you think before you speak.  This is an iPod board and it is platform neutral, so lets keep it that way.

Mike

Posted by vanillamike on July 25, 2003 at 11:26 AM (PDT)

sorry box you got your post in there before I did that was meaqnt for Andrew.

Mike

Posted by vanillamike on July 25, 2003 at 11:27 AM (PDT)

For Mike: Then why is everything so anti-PC?  The post that started this is saying that BuyMusic.com is blocking access to the Mac users as though that’s something horrible.  The incredible iTunes would never do something like that.

Oh, wait.  They did.  I spent $500 on an iPod but can’t log on to the supposedly best site for buying music for it.  Does this make any sense?  Does it?

I am not saying BuyMusic is better than iTunes but perhaps some people need to take a look at iTunes.  It’s not perfect either.  A promised Windows version means nothing to me until I can log on and get some music from it.

Posted by Andrew McDonald on July 25, 2003 at 1:48 PM (PDT)

For Box: So are you saying you *can* play WMA files with DRM encryption on your Mac?

If so then BuyMusic is better than iItunes because at least you can get on there to buy music.  I can’t get into iTunes at all even though I can play AAC files.

If you can’t play WMA/DRM files then my point is valid.  BuyMusic.com is avoiding the customer service nightmares of a bunch of people who can’t read downloading music they can’t play.

Posted by Andrew McDonald on July 25, 2003 at 1:53 PM (PDT)

iTunes, at the moment, is platform specific.  they are not blocking users… they haven’t incorporated the Windows environment yet.  buyMusic.com is a freakin webpage that everyone could access yesterday.  to suddenly block everyone that isn’t using IE on a Windows box is rather weak.

luckily, i rarely purchase music online.

Posted by Bender on July 25, 2003 at 2:07 PM (PDT)

Andrew:

There is something you should know about Apple related sites:

People are always on the defensive and many are fanatics.  Their whole point in life is bashing anything that is PC related.  It is an inferiority complex really due to the very weak market share of Apple.

Funny thing is that PC sites don’t even talk about Apple so it is a one way rage against nobody.

Posted by mP3f on July 25, 2003 at 3:41 PM (PDT)

Oh, I’ve noticed.  They don’t even get my point that iTunes is no less evil than BuyMusic.  One favors Mac users to the exclusion of Windows (and Linux, etc) and the other apparently is excluding everyone but Windows.

How can one possibly be better than the other?  I don’t see how.  I buy an iPod and can’t buy music from the Apple music store?  The same company that sold me the iPod?

The iTunes music store should have been web based so I could buy AAC and download them to my iPod.

It’s just silly to have it software based instead of browser based.

Apple may be a class act but it’s a very elitist class act.

Posted by Andrew McDonald on July 25, 2003 at 3:51 PM (PDT)

mP3f:

Your so right, i’m disgusted with some of Mac users and their “brainwashed” attitude.

I mean WTF?! If you like Macs, fine go use it. Just leave us PC users along damnit. Go take your simple minded OS and use it instead of wasting yours and my time trying to bash PCs.

You people are so obsesed with Macs that you thik every other computers, MP3 players, and even music stores at the trash on this earth. Guess what? Your missing alot, it’s your choice and we don’t care. Go dump thousands of money on apple stuff, talk about choices eh?

BuyMusic.com has the right idea, if your cult leader Steve wants to isolate us Windows users, what’s wrong with BuyMusic.com isolating you mac users for a change? Apparently, you guys have all the major apps we have, but dosn’t work the other way around.

It is apparent Steve is getting wiser, they know the fact Windows users dominates the computing world and they can’t survive without us.

In the end, Macs are still the alternatives. Open your eyes and actually check what the world has to offer, white shade of macs are keeping you blind.

Posted by Bob on July 25, 2003 at 4:02 PM (PDT)

yeesh, some of you arguing for buymusic, are looking with some pretty funky tints on your glasses.
iTunes being mac only, and BuyMusic being PC only are two completely different issues.

The way iTunes Music Store was designed, was to go through iTunes itself - to make a seamless experience. Obviously, no iTunes for Windows yet, hence no Music Store yet. We all know it IS coming though.

BuyMusic on the other hand is through a webpage. In it’s current implementation - it DOES work on mac. Set Safari to pretend it’s WinIE - there’s no problem. Instead, they are CHOOSING to block out Mac users, using nothing but a lame javascript browser sniffer. Those were amateur back in 1995….
Why a company would consciencely block potential customers, customers that are not causing a problem, and are the only ones who actually have an alternative (and a better one at that), is beyond me.
How about I set up a store, and decide that I won’t sell my products to people with black hair? Same deal hear with BuyMusic

Posted by Nathan Adams on July 25, 2003 at 11:19 PM (PDT)

Andrew said Mac users are snobby, I’m a Mac user and DAMN RIGHT I AM SNOBBY ABOUT THE COMPUTER I USE. Don’t forget who makes your iPod jerk off, Mac users are better than YOU.

Posted by tombertram on July 26, 2003 at 2:52 AM (PDT)

Windows users : please note that tombertram does not represent us Mac users. There are normal rational people, and then there are idiots - regardless of the computer platform they use. tombertram is the latter wink

Posted by Nathan Adams on July 26, 2003 at 3:56 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >