Calling all software developers: Website content on iPod | iLounge News

Calling all software developers: Website content on iPod

“So I have to ask: why hasn’t anyone created a utility that can be aimed at various web pages or RSS feeds and grab their contents, convert them into plain-text format, and drop ‘em in the Notes folder of an iPod? Yes, it would require some clever page-scraping, and yes, it would require intelligent splitting and hyperlinking of stories using the bare-bones coding format that the iPod understands.

But still, it shouldn’t be that difficult. While there are some RSS browsers out there for the iPod, they don’t thrill me, because most RSS feeds don’t include the full text of news stories. And I don’t know of any RSS tool for the iPod that actually downloads the contents of the page referenced by the RSS entry. I want to read more than headlines on my iPod; I want to read the whole article!”

« Ex-Paramount Pictures exec berates Pepsi iTunes ad

HSN.com: $15 off $20, good on Belkin iPod gear »

Comments

i think it would be a nifty idea if some rss program could get full news articles, etc. :)

Posted by ipodman715 on January 30, 2004 at 4:23 PM (CST)

Nice idea, but useless to me.

I *do* carry my both my iPod and my Palm around with me wherever I go, and the Palm is loaded to the hilt with AvantGo channels, + Wi-Fi for live web content.

I’m just as much a Tungsten C geek as I am an iPod geek.  ;-D

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on January 30, 2004 at 4:46 PM (CST)

What a scoop!

Considering computers are everywhere, having news and other such things on my ipod (which would only be updated maybe once a day) seems kind of asinine.

Posted by dave on January 30, 2004 at 4:48 PM (CST)

I agree with ipodman715,  I think getting full new articles would be great.  That would give me something good to read between classes.

Posted by Judd on January 30, 2004 at 5:10 PM (CST)

feed my pod downloads ipodlounge headlines :-D

Posted by zeve on January 30, 2004 at 5:56 PM (CST)

erg not just headlines, whatever u see on the lounge mainpage news story

Posted by zeve on January 30, 2004 at 5:56 PM (CST)

Ha! Easy challenge. This will be one of the new features in the next Pod2Go version (I already thought this up a while ago…old news to me) :)

Posted by kainjow on January 30, 2004 at 8:55 PM (CST)

havnt any of you heard of the excellent software Pod2Go? check it out!

Posted by tripm in New Jersey Shore on January 30, 2004 at 9:04 PM (CST)

If nobody beats me to it, I plan to make an HTML-to-iPod convertor. I’ve already written app to strip and simplify HTML pages, so that’s half the battle. I don’t actually own an iPod yet, but it’s a matter of time.

I’d personally want it as a way to transport information—like HTML help docs, saved websites with product info, etc.

Posted by Nagromme on January 30, 2004 at 10:28 PM (CST)

Heh that feature’s already in Pod2Go…but are you writing it for Windows or Mac?

Posted by kainjow on January 30, 2004 at 11:12 PM (CST)

Pod2Go anyone?

Posted by Sebastian Meyer on January 31, 2004 at 1:29 AM (CST)

Theres a utility called rsspod that puts rss syndications on to ur ipod.

Posted by Billy Sardar on January 31, 2004 at 2:40 AM (CST)

whats wrong with buying a newspaper?? i find it far better than reading the news off a tiny little screen on an iPod.

Posted by mortelman on January 31, 2004 at 10:08 AM (CST)

about feed my iPod, it seems to be released under the GPL (http://www.staylazy.net/feedmypod/download/ and read the license agreememnt), buti cant find the source code anywhere…

and how do i get rsspod to work?

Posted by mike on January 31, 2004 at 10:54 AM (CST)

Ephpod put rss feeds in the notes directory as well.

Posted by bobo on January 31, 2004 at 12:16 PM (CST)

news mac will convert rss feeds and sync them to your ipod:

Posted by kerry on February 2, 2004 at 11:50 AM (CST)

podtogo’s link doesn’t work, I’d love to be able to read website content on my ipod

Posted by kim on January 8, 2007 at 12:12 AM (CST)