Canada levies iPods - 10GB $15, 15GB - 40GB $25 | iLounge News

Canada levies iPods - 10GB $15, 15GB - 40GB $25

“Each recorder with a memory capacity of 1 GB up to 10 GB will be levied at $15, and each recorder with memory capacity of more than 10 GB will carry a $25 levy.

The music industry had requested much higher levies. Under the industry’s original proposal, an MP3 player with a 20GB minidisk hard drive would have been subject to a levy that would have boosted the price by about $125. Manufacturers filed objections to the Copyright Board over that plan, arguing that the levies would price their products out of the market.”

« Mac: Podtext 2.5 Released

Macworld UK: iPod in ‘huge demand’ - Apple »

Comments

Except that they are.  Read the article again.  The levy will amount to $25 on iPods over 20GB.  It’s out of control.  And unfair.

Posted by Smo on December 12, 2003 at 8:16 AM (PDT)

Err.  That should read “over 10GB”.  Sorry ‘bout that.

Posted by Smo on December 12, 2003 at 8:21 AM (PDT)

still a$$ backwards when you think about it…Canada sux…

Posted by Chomper on December 12, 2003 at 8:38 AM (PDT)

What remains to be seen is whether Apple will eat the levy, or pass it along to consumers…

(Unless I misunderstand how the levy is paid for) wink

Posted by azdude_15gb on December 12, 2003 at 8:48 AM (PDT)

better than the US though - I’d have no problem paying $25 extra for my ipod to not have to wonder if I’ll get sued for using kazaa…

Posted by me on December 12, 2003 at 8:50 AM (PDT)

BTW, it doesn’t affect us obviously, but in observing this news, we yankees need to keep in mind that the levy is $11.36 USD and $18.93 USD (by today’s rates) wink

Posted by azdude_15gb on December 12, 2003 at 8:54 AM (PDT)

Read Part 80.

A small price to pay for “private copying” of as many songs as you want!

Posted by Fred on December 12, 2003 at 9:01 AM (PDT)

As a Canadian I’ve just stopped buying CDs and have now become a music pirate!

Posted by another guy on December 12, 2003 at 9:02 AM (PDT)

Woohoo! Now freely sharing and copying music can no longer be called “stealing” in Canada. You’re paying a copyright royalty when you buy your iPod, so feel free to trade tunes with anyone/everyone, with no ethical or moral strings attached!

Posted by m.s on December 12, 2003 at 10:14 AM (PDT)

umm..I don’t think that by charging this levy they are giving the go ahead to steal music.

This is on mp3 players not the mp3’s. Mp3 players are ok as long as the files are obtained legally like buying a CD and ripping the tracks. What is wrong is when you share those files or download them from the net.

By them doing this does not at all send the message that piracy is ok.

Posted by Matthew Vallee on December 12, 2003 at 10:36 AM (PDT)

are you on the take or what matthew….do yourself a favor and shut up. damn commie.

Posted by Jaguares in Bay Area, Ca on December 12, 2003 at 10:47 AM (PDT)

Don’t be so silly Jaguares.

This is a tiny levy, and is intended in exactly the way Matthew suggests. In my view it’s entirely justifiable, and it doesn’‘t give anyone carte blanche to steal.

Next we need a proper levy on Kazaa, or to shut it down altogether.

Posted by JackoN on December 12, 2003 at 11:11 AM (PDT)

it doesn’t give anyone the go ahead to start downloading tunes, but it’s definitely push more people going that route.

So…I buy a CD for $15 bucks…and because I decide I want to rip it, and put it on my ipod, I’m expected to pay them more money???? fu.ck that!!!

I just finished downloading about 4 albums off kazaa, and the number will be a lot higher after this weekend.

Posted by styles on December 12, 2003 at 11:18 AM (PDT)

Let me get this right…
whether or not you are stealing you pay the levy, and you still may not copy music?  The idea being that people are going to steal anyway so lets subsidize the industry.  Only a bunch of Canadian could come up with that.  Hey I got some stuff stole while I was at the gym last year, can I get the Canadian gov’t to take up a collection for me!

Posted by Snoopdog on December 12, 2003 at 11:21 AM (PDT)

But don’t you see - you’re not stealing. The levy goes into a fund which is used to pay royalties to musicians. If you only rip mp3s from CDs you purchased, then those musicians are in fact stealing from YOU, with the govenment acting as a middleman. The levy is being made because they EXPECT you to copy music without buying it.

As the referenced article says: “The amounts collected by the CPCC are distributed to eligible authors, performers and producers of recorded musical works copied by individuals for personal use in Canada.”

Aside from any possible legalities (I don’t even pretend to know Canuck law that well), it is now completely _ethical_ to freely copy music onto one of these devices in Canada, as you will have paid the royalties up front. It’s a good deal to, being able to pay $25 for the right to copy up to about $20,000 or so worth of music at CD prices.

Posted by m.s on December 12, 2003 at 11:51 AM (PDT)

As the referenced SHOULD article say: “The amounts collected by the CCCP are distributed to eligible authors, performers and producers of recorded musical works copied by individuals for personal use in Canada.”

Who let Karl Marx into the north?

Posted by V. Lenin on December 12, 2003 at 12:09 PM (PDT)

Dumba** Canada bashers: the same thing happens here in the US, with blank CD media.

Posted by avery on December 12, 2003 at 12:58 PM (PDT)

Hooray for the second law put in place because the Canadian government ASSUMES you will break another law.

In my province I also have graduated licensing, which will not allow new drivers out past midnight. This isn’t because it’s dark, cause it’s bloody dark a lot earlier than midnight. It’s because if you’re out past midnight and you’re young you obviously mean to do something wrong or break another law.

Where on earth do they get this notion that putting a law in place ASSUMING the breaking of another law by all parties makes sense? I love that I can’t get sued for using kazaa and don’t have a government that somehow decided that the roads used for theft were obviously the things responsible for the theft itself (Napster in the US), but it certainly doesn’t make any more sense here!

David

Posted by David Rodgerson on December 12, 2003 at 1:02 PM (PDT)

Yes 20 dollars extra ...but I am sure that apple will eat the costs.

I am from Canada and I got my iPod from ebay from america. I paid my duties and it came up to be $40 cheaper then student discount when all said and done

Posted by Sauga on December 12, 2003 at 1:45 PM (PDT)

It’s all really creepy. I’m glad it has been pointed out that you had might as well stop buying music in Canada since it’s essentially bought and paid for anyway as soon as you buy a spindle of blank DVDs or whatnot. Too bad there isn’t a law that pays everyone an extra 5 dollars an hour because the assumption is that there is no way your employer is paying you what you’re worth. Oh, wait, the everyday Joe being underpaid isn’t a crime, but the very chance that some celebrity is underpaid, is. Mmmmkay. This sounds to me like some sort of bizzare selective communism. I’m sure if politicians or record label executives has a tax imposed on them since some amongst their number were guaranteed to be embezzeling money, it would never be passed into law, even though it’s basically the same idea, and in that light just as valid. Gee, why not just tax everyone? Why not just PAY everyone the same wage and not have to worry about any of it? Hmmm.

Anyway, it’s all really stupid, and what is surprising, I guess, is that Canadians don’t care to do anything about it. What’s more surprising is that there are people here saying it’s not a big deal. It’s a huge deal, not because of the money, but because of the ethics involved. Clearly this is wrong, just read the article. And it’s certain to get worse.

Posted by monkedsel on December 12, 2003 at 4:12 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >