Canadian iPod levy killed in court
In July, the Copyright Board of Canada approved a private copying levy on iPods and removable memory storage cards, that could have resulted in tariffs of up to $75 per device, depending on storage capacity. That levy has effectively been struck down by Canada’s Federal Court of Appeal, which took only 24 hours to decide that the Copyright Board had no legal authority to impose the levy. Copyright lawyer Howard Knopf, who represented the Retail Council of Canada as well as Apple Canada et. al, said that “The applicants were awarded their costs. The reasons are very brief. The Court was very decisive.” The ruling was also welcomed by Retail Council of Canada president Diane J. Brisebois. “This has been a very long battle, but a necessary one,” said Brisebois in a prepared statement. “Retailers have fought against these levies since their creation in 1997 because it taxes a product based on what a consumer possibly could use it for.” [via MyAppleMenu]
- DisneyLife subscription-based app launches in the U.K.
- Apple releases iOS 9.2 beta 4, tvOS 9.1 beta 3
- Apple releases iOS 9.2 beta 3 to developers
- Apple releases iOS 9.2 beta 2 to developers
- Apple releases first iOS 9.2 beta to developers
- iOS 9.1 adds multi-device Wi-Fi calling for Sprint customers
- Apple’s Eddy Cue shares his hopes for Apple News
- Report: Apple testing dual front cameras, wireless charging, and more in iPhone 7 prototypes
- Apple expands Personal Pickup to 6 more EU countries
- Apple Music coming to Sonos Dec. 15 through public beta program
- Apple to drop headphone jack from next iPhone?
- Amazon Instant Video app could hit Apple TV ‘within a few weeks’
- Some Apple Music and iTunes Match services may be illegal in the U.K.
- Australian banks accused of anti-competitive behavior over Apple Pay lockout
- Happy Thanksgiving 2015 from iLounge!
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- House of Marley Chant Sport Portable Audio System
- Grid Connect ConnectSense Smart Outlet
- iDevices Switch HomeKit and Wi-Fi enabled plug
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPad Pro
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?