Carbon fiber case for 5G iPod introduced | iLounge News

Carbon fiber case for 5G iPod introduced

imageC6 Manufacturing has announced the availability of its carbon fiber case for Apple’s fifth-generation iPod. The case features genuine aerospace carbon fiber and aluminum construction with stainless steel screws. It also comes with a clear screen protector, stainless steel belt clip and assembly tool. The carbon fiber case sells for $50 and is available in two sizes for both the 30GB and 60GB iPod.

« News Corp.‘s Murdoch not impressed by video iPod, iTunes

Mix: Dell DJ, Super Bowl ads, Comedy Central, Nano repairs »

Comments

Aaaaaand ya lost me.  $50?  No.  $30?  Maybe.  For $50, the case should be molded and cover the entire unit.  Two plates and some screws for $50?  Not so much.

Posted by stark23x on February 6, 2006 at 10:06 AM (PDT)

Now where did I put that screwdriver…...ah well, so much for docking it into ANYTHING!

Posted by sp1083 on February 6, 2006 at 10:16 AM (PDT)

too much $$$$$$. these guys are nuts.  even the handcrafted orbino case is only 65 including shipping.

Posted by ryen on February 6, 2006 at 10:39 AM (PDT)

Well at least when I go street racing I wont have to worry about my iPod slowing me down….

Posted by Starbucks on February 6, 2006 at 12:38 PM (PDT)

Wow. When the first case came out for the Nano some time back I wondered when a version for the iPod video would be available. But 50 bucks? nope. not worth it for two slabs of carbon fiber and some screws….

Posted by Tenchi211 in California on February 6, 2006 at 12:48 PM (PDT)

its a nice case, but what about protection for the sides of the ipod, and the bottom and tops as well. I think that for 50 bucks, at least give us more than what tenchi211 said, two slabs and a screws, come on now

Posted by emmzel on February 6, 2006 at 6:52 PM (PDT)

$50.00 is $25.00 too much. It looks cool, but $50.00 come on??

Posted by Fanatic on February 6, 2006 at 9:41 PM (PDT)

i have the carbon-case for the nano. It is definately a thing of beauty. But like all cases, everyone has their own opinion on looks.
I had no probs paying $39 for my nano case, and will definately pay $49 for the ipod case (to have a matching set)

If you cant afford it, dont knock the product. Like i said, this case is not for everybody, and neither is my Mercedes.

Posted by neotrooper on February 6, 2006 at 10:33 PM (PDT)

neotrooper,

don’t suppose you have some pictures of your nano with the carbon fiber case?  I’m considering this case but i’d like to see mroe.

thanks.

Posted by dave on February 7, 2006 at 7:08 AM (PDT)

“If you cant afford it, dont knock the product.”

Oh please.  It’s not a question of affording, it’s a question of being stupid enough to get ripped off to the tune of $50 for two thin plates of CF and a set of screws.

Posted by stark23x on February 7, 2006 at 9:02 AM (PDT)

i didn’t afford my mercedes, rover and lotus by wasting money on faulty products.  I appreciate the value of a dollar more than that.

Posted by ryan on February 7, 2006 at 10:13 AM (PDT)

With all the complaining going on. Why doesn’t someone just buy some carbon fiber laminate, cut it down to size, screw it together and sell it for $20. Since aparently all the materials cheap and easy to aquire. I’ll buy one from you.

Posted by jesse on February 7, 2006 at 12:43 PM (PDT)

This case reminds me of an article I read about body armor. The SWAT team got called and suffered casualties because they were blasted in the sides by shotgun fire - their protection was limited to front and back. Their new body armor stretches around completely…lesson learned. Moral - Don’t shoot your ipod with a shotgun. The spray could be devastating.

I’m a function before fashion guy. I like my carbon fiber on my space shuttle and snowboard bindings only…or on my ipod when it’s done right. What about the sides?

Posted by pageffect on February 7, 2006 at 1:58 PM (PDT)

oooo that belt clip can do some damage to someone’s iPod

Posted by roger767 on February 7, 2006 at 3:23 PM (PDT)

the side-openings havent affected the protection of my ipod at all….the carbon (top and bottom) extends a bit-as well as the corners, so the edges of the exposed ipod never make contact with anything to cause any damage or scratching.

Dave, i have many pics..hahaha. just give me an email address, and i email you some.

Posted by neotrooper in tokyo on February 7, 2006 at 6:17 PM (PDT)

Man, Don’t like it don’t buy it, its as simple as that.  Or am I missing something. Jeeeze!!!

Posted by Kastor Troy on February 7, 2006 at 6:46 PM (PDT)

Some of you obviously don’t understandthe concept of carbon fiber, what its made of, and how its made.

Yes, 50 bucks is a bit much but honestly, its called trying to make a profit. Go ahead, if you have the means to make a carbon fiber cover for you ipod, go ahead.

Posted by Joei on February 7, 2006 at 8:45 PM (PDT)

Not enough protection coverage. The defenders can defend for all they want, but for a $50 cover, I’d like to make sure that there’s good functionality. It would be nice if they made it do more than that.

To Joei, don’t assume that we don’t understand the concept of carbon fibre, I just think that they could’ve done more to make this a better product for the same price tag.

Posted by EGGO on February 8, 2006 at 12:28 AM (PDT)

I will give them that it looks cool the problem with it is the fact that it does not protect enough (like the sides and that circle on the back) and also you can’t dock it and for 50 that is not worth it at all it’s just something you should buy to look nice

Posted by taboo8614 in Livonia, MI on February 8, 2006 at 6:38 AM (PDT)

C6’s CF weave is still too goofy-looking to me; looks like it belongs on a picnic basket, not a tech device.

BTW…I was (window) shopping for a new road bike the other day. There was one REALLY cool Scott distance racer; all carbon fiber frame, super, SUPER light.

Reg. $3200(gag, choke); on sale at REI for ONLY $2400. Now THAT’S some expensive CF.

Posted by flatline response on February 9, 2006 at 1:34 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >