CarClip rear view mirror holder for iPod introduced | iLounge News

CarClip rear view mirror holder for iPod introduced

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, November 1, 2005
News Categories: iPod Accessories

imageSKProducts has introduced the CarClip, a new iPod holder that hangs from your car’s rear view mirror. The CarClip puts your iPod at eye level, allows for use of top-mounted accessories and provides access to the dock connector port. The CarClip for the iPod mini sells for $24.95 and is available now. An iPod nano version will begin shipping on November 8th.

“The CarClip is engineered from a single piece of laser-cut, hand-molded, clear acrylic plastic designed to fit the iPod. The simple, yet elegant design, is accompanied by a colorful set of patent pending rubber Fishband motion buffers. These elastics go through the CarClip and around the center knob of the rear view mirror to prevent swaying.”

« Analyst: Apple could ship over 37 million iPods in 2005

Mix: Motorola SLVR, Video downloads, iPodMyBaby, Brand survey »

Comments

Check your state/country laws—it’s illegal in a lot of US states to hang anything on the rear view mirror.

Posted by jt on November 1, 2005 at 1:40 PM (PDT)

Wouldn’t that be seriously, seriously distracting and possibly illegal?

Posted by jaysee on November 1, 2005 at 1:42 PM (PDT)

I know hanging things from your mirror is illegal in New York.

Posted by Eric on November 1, 2005 at 3:25 PM (PDT)

It’s illegal and just plain distracting to the driver. Terrible product idea.

Posted by Kloan in Toronto, ON on November 1, 2005 at 4:00 PM (PDT)

This doesn’t seem to be too different from those oversized handicap rearview mirror hangers I’ve seen in a number of states.  Distracting?  Probably, but not much different as far as field of view is concerned.

Posted by mraarons on November 1, 2005 at 6:28 PM (PDT)

The product website provides every state’s laws on its website in PDF form.  Most laws look ok as long as it doesn’t obstruct your clear view of the road in front.

Because its made from clear plastic I think it shouldn’t be that distracting.  Not bad, I might get one for my nano.

Posted by wd on November 1, 2005 at 6:50 PM (PDT)

It appears that the company found a loophole in state’s laws.  Almost all laws only apply to “non-transparent” items.  Since the CarClip is made from transparent acrylic, it does not apply, and therefore is LEGAL!!

Posted by Vikram on November 1, 2005 at 7:30 PM (PDT)

I have tons of things hanging from my mirror, it doesn’t distract me, you don’t use that side of the window anyway, you look straight.

Posted by kristen on November 1, 2005 at 7:35 PM (PDT)

Kristen,
This is the same argument that people use when they don’t clean all the snow off their windshield.  If you only look straight ahead with tunnel vision, you are a danger on the road.

Also, this PRODUCT might be legal to buy, but NOT legal to USE.  I didn’t read the laws on the website yet, but certainly the IPOD is NOT a transparent object.

Chris

Posted by Chris on November 1, 2005 at 8:46 PM (PDT)

Doesn’t seem like a safe product to me.  I certainly wouldn’t use it.

Posted by ucfgrad93 on November 1, 2005 at 9:04 PM (PDT)

Personally, I am getting one.  I was looking for a way to hang my nano from the rear view mirror with some kind of lanyard accessory but now I realize that would swing too much.  The design of this product would be perfect!

I am already distracted by having to pickup my nano from my dash or center console to change between playlists and podcasts so this would be better.

Posted by CVuPlay100 on November 1, 2005 at 9:22 PM (PDT)

Interesting imagery…iPod Mini as automotive moth cake.

The hanger might be see-through, but that Mini is as opaque and solid as they come, which will be exactly the reason that the state trooper will cite as you’re being written up.

Posted by flatline response on November 1, 2005 at 11:23 PM (PDT)

...and if the State Trooper doesn’t get you then the smash and grab thief will certainly have a go.

IMO this not only rates as a useless accessory but also a dangerous one….

Posted by Bob Levens on November 2, 2005 at 3:24 AM (PDT)

I did some research and an officer cannot pull you over for having something hanging from your rear view mirror.  They must have just cause, but if it is illegal in your state they can issue a petty violation.

The website has in interesting article up about the carclip and mini inside being invisible: http://www.thecarclip.com/parallax.htm

Posted by wd on November 2, 2005 at 7:53 AM (PDT)

“I did some research and an officer cannot pull you over for having something hanging from your rear view mirror.”

Evidently, you’ve never been to Washington State. Technically here, that small parking pass I hang in my Porsche is a violation, but it’s not much bigger than the mirror itself.

Remember those ‘Baby On Board’ signs?  No? They may not have hung from a mirror, but stick that on the rear lite of a car, SUV or mommyobile (minivan)...INSTANT citable equipment violation in the Evergreen State. Side windows…ok…back or front…ticket magnet.

Some years ago, I know of a person who was ONLY pulled over for having a round-shaped crystal (about 3/4” in diameter) hanging from his rearview,, though he only got a warning and was forced to remove it and was spared the ticket for the equipment violation. But the cop was probably right in this case; when the sun or any other light source hit that thing, it WAS pretty obnoxious (and potentially blinding).  More recently, I know of others who’ve been pulled over for (obviously) having their radar dectectors visable (up on the visor and viewable from behind…like when being tailed by a traffic cop) and “in the way of forward viewing”. I don’t think that’s the REAL reason for being stopped (cops generally detest radar detectors and those who use ‘em, ESPECIALLY if they drive sports cars…ahem…speaking from experience), but it’s the “reason” they cited.

And courtesy of the CarClip (still looks like something that belongs in a coat closet to me), there’s conceivably MORE to worry about than where I conceal my Valentine One.

Even IF a traffic cop may not expressly pull you over for something “obstructing the outward view” from your car wherever you may reside, I betcha they’ll watch and wait until you do something else wrong, then pile the violation(s) on.

Posted by flatline response on November 2, 2005 at 9:32 AM (PDT)

I agree—Try to tell a Trooper what he/she can and cannot do.

“Really, it IS legal.”

Yeah, right.

Posted by Doctor Geek on November 2, 2005 at 9:46 AM (PDT)

Well that trooper can give you a ticket all he wants, but if you know that you are right you can challenge it and win.  Just because that are a force of the law doesn’t mean that whatever they say goes…

Posted by hWhat? on November 2, 2005 at 3:42 PM (PDT)

Well, for me, the guy with the gun, baton, mace and backup via radio does get my undivided attention.  Whatever he says, goes.

Posted by Turd Furguson on November 2, 2005 at 10:30 PM (PDT)

Can anyone tell me if this CarClip for nano fits a nano with the latest Griffin FM transmitter for nano on? It is a transmitter attached at the back of the nano and the thickness is like doubled. I wonder if it can fit into this CarClip.
Thanks.

Posted by Leo on February 16, 2006 at 7:18 AM (PDT)

Oh this is going to be fun!  Retired Deputy Sheriff of 22 yrs . retired 1.5 yrs ago. Traffic Deputy for 7.5 yrs. Traing deputy for 19.
Why is it that parents who dont buckle in their kids are considered by many as evil child abusers.  I grew up sitting on my mothers lap & sleeping in the back w/no belt, wasnt illegal back then.  Remember infractional laws(civil penalty laws) are passed and legislated by politicians for a miriad of reasons. safety+taxation+re-election+good sense+ a lot more.
What makes a driver safe.  One who puts driving first.  I submit the driver at 130 mph on open road knowing what he is doing and paying attention is safer than Miss Smith just driving to lunch and not truly analyzing her driving as speed-boy is having to do.
The answer to the question is…. Each state is different.  Most states are similar. It is hard to reinvent the wheel so to speak.
In Wa. State it is illegal to have a tv/monitor screen of any type in drivers immediate view.  Yes cops are exempt from all infractional laws in the execution of their job(so save the rant). Therefore yes my itouch screen attached to the mirror is illegal.  However, my iphone in my view below the dashline is not illegal, unless I am watching a movie etc. Isnt that stupid.  I want that I phone right by the mirror so my peripheral can see it. Anything blocking the drivers clearview through the windshield is illegal.  Dingle-balls or fuzzy dice are technically illegal.  Some Cops are idiots, most are not and many are very sharp or have access to the sharp ones, so that they are usually always on the hi-ground.  Articulation by the officer making resonable correlations to the appropriate statute is what makes the Cops win.  Judges are critiqued by whether a reasonable tie to the statute is reached.  Judges do not (technically) have the ability to find anyone not-guilty if the statute by definition was found violated to its minimum standard.

I am now a driving school instructor.  My advise is take driving seriously and pay 100% ATTENTION AND ACT LIKE YOU ARE AN f-16 PILOT.  Talking to your passenger casually glancing at them (which we all do) is much more neglectful than me mounting my itouch to the rearview mirror because I do not want to look down to see it.  Plus the added point that I am putting my driving first over the itouch.  Yet if I dont pay attention to my driving first, I am being unsafe. Lets be real, driving a car is extremely dangerous. arguing what is or is not a civil statute is a mute point. I bet all of the posters here Do some of the following: make-up, eating, poor signal habits, poor head checks, thinking about everything but driving, following too close.
As to Mr.Flatline’s post, you are wrong! Having 2 side mirrors you can cover up you rear window & be legal! Obviously you didnt put a lot of fore thought into your friends claim.  More disinformation. What I call barstool law.(peaple drink eat party & tell others what the law is & so it must be true!& so it goes forth.)
The bottom line is, yes it is against the law to have something in your view in Wa thru the front and side windows.  More importantly think about the weight,speed and distance between us on the road & it is amazing we all survive. No matter your task behind the wheel, put driving first and pause while speaking on your bluetooth when things get complicated and make driving # 1 priority and you will be better off.  You shouldnt care what some overbearing mouthy power hungry cop says. There are more idiot people then idiot cops. The info above is correct.  Ultimately my point is, does it matter if your iphone is hanging from the mirror. No It is what you are doing while driving & your focus while messing with your iphone.
Guns dont kill people…people do.  Drivers are what cause accidents not the accessories.
Do I really need to have everything laid out for me so as to make everyone else safe. NOPE, People and their focus & priorities in life is what causes harm or safety.
PS Kloan it is a great idea. It keeps your eyes up where they belong.  Infact why dont vehicles have windshield heads up displays. Way safer! Opinions are like people. We all have a lot of orifices!

Posted by JB on May 30, 2011 at 7:34 PM (PDT)