Case-mate debuts ID case for iPhone 3G, 3GS | iLounge News

Case-mate debuts ID case for iPhone 3G, 3GS

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, September 17, 2009
News Categories: iPhone Accessories

image

Case-mate has introduced its new I.D. case for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS. The I.D. case is made from plastic and wraps around the back and sides of the phone, while offering a slim pocket in the back for two plastic cards, such as debit cards or identification. Ez-slide protective film is included to protect the rear of the phone; a screen protector is also included, and the case offers full access to all ports, controls, and the camera. Case-mate’s I.D. case for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS is available now in a variety of colors and sells for $30. For more information on the Case-mate I.D. case for iPhone 3G/3GS, see our First Look article.

« Tunewear releases line of cases for iPod nano 5G

Griffin intros MyPhones headphones for kids »

Comments

Awesome! Now I can misplace my credit card, drivers license, and iPhone all at the same time!!!

Posted by Instynx on September 17, 2009 at 11:57 PM (PDT)

Looks to me like any cards inserted, cover the camera.  So you’d have to remove your card to snap pics/video.  hmpf.

Posted by Peterphan on September 18, 2009 at 7:19 AM (PDT)

The credit cards will be fully inserted into the case and they will not block the camera hole!

Posted by kongfugirl on September 18, 2009 at 9:34 AM (PDT)

Lots of people don’t carry a wallet when they go out to a club, but they do always carry their phone. I don’t like to carry a wallet because my wallet has TONS of stuff in there so I used to just take my phone, drivers license, and credit card and shove them in my pocket. I don’t think this is something to replace your wallet just in cases like when your going to a club and you don’t want to carry a wallet. I mean get real ... how often do you lose your phone at the club anyway with it right there at your hip? But I HAVE had someone try to reach in my back pocket to snag my wallet why waiting at the bar. Nobody has ever tried getting into my side pocket.

This is good for those of us who love going to clubs or pub hop with a bunch of friends and we want to travel light.

Posted by Christopher Cox on September 19, 2009 at 11:17 AM (PDT)

Or ... lots of times I am out without pockets trying to juggle my phone, wallet, and keys. I could be just running to the store or going to the gym. This is WAY more convenient. I think I will buy one.

Posted by Christopher Cox on September 19, 2009 at 11:26 AM (PDT)

Finally, a more convenient way to erase those credit cards and other important things with magnetic stripes on them.

Cell phones and magcards don’t mix well. Proceed with caution.

Posted by Eric Weigand on September 19, 2009 at 5:12 PM (PDT)

@Eric: Wow people are funny paranoid when it comes to magnetism erasing credit cards. It either takes a strong magnet or a weak one rubbing up against the strip for a while. And if there is a weak magnet separated by a few layers of something it will not create a field strong enough to effect it. Absolutely no way anything magnetic in the iphone will effect the cards. Or absolutely no way any magnet on your cards will effect your iphone.

Posted by Christopher Cox on September 20, 2009 at 10:44 PM (PDT)

@7,
With respect, I’ll take my practical experience of having credit cards, hotel keycards and parking meter cards all being corrupted by having them in the same pocket as my phone. While the data may not be erased from the strip, close proximity to a phone may corrupt it enough to confuse the card reader.
Now I make sure any card with a magnetic data strip doesn’t come into contact with my phone. Problem stopped.

As for the comment about how many times do you lose your phone? Phones get lost/stolen. Wallets get lost/stolen. A phone in a case with credit cards might be like hitting the jackpot for a thief!...
How about adding the ability to hold your car or house key? Make it really worth while then….

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on September 21, 2009 at 3:04 AM (PDT)