CBS legal threat forces Star Trek-like DiagnosticPADD from App Store
Paul Messias, developer for Park Bench Software, has informed iLounge that the company’s iOS app DiagnosticPADD will soon be removed from the App Store due to copyright and trademark infringement claims from CBS Interactive. The $1 universal app mimics the LCARS fictional computer operating system from Star Trek: The Next Generation; it offers functions such as viewing and emailing device information, battery status, network settings like IP address and host name, GPS coordinates, accelerometer data, microphone levels, and file system information. Messias says that the company received an email from Apple stating, “we received a notice from CBS Interactive that CBS Interactive believes your application named ‘DiagnosticPADD’ infringes CBS Interactive’s intellectual property rights. In particular, CBS Interactive states that your application is ‘...using our branded Star Trek elements’. ”
In a follow up email to CBS Interactive, the network claimed ownership of the acronym “PADD,” as well as the look and feel of the interface. “In response to your questions, the Application uses the ‘PADD’ trademark and the interface is substantially similar to CBSS’ copyrighted LCARS interface. Your use of the Series’ Properties improperly trades on the goodwill and reputation of CBSS and the Series and is likely to cause confusion among consumers that the Application is affiliated with or licensed by CBSS and/or the Series. CBSS has concluded that such use constitutes trademark infringement, dilution, passing off and misappropriation under the Lanham Act and applicable state laws, as well as copyright infringement under applicable U.S. copyright law and counterpart laws around the world.”
Park Bench Software notes that as a small developer, “[w]e certainly don’t have the legal backing or the ability to fund a defensive lawsuit,” but says that he couldn’t find evidence of a trademark for PADD, and doesn’t think that a Star Trek-inspired “look and feel” could be copyrighted. Regardless, the developer is pulling the app, and “is sad to see something we spent our time and energy on disappear.” As of this writing, the app is still available on the App Store.
- Layout from Instagram, Periscope, The Trace + Apple Watch app updates
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Atari Fit, Launcher, Stormblades, Camera+ 6.2, GoodReader 4.1 + IMDb 5.0
- Apple pulls The Whole Pantry app amid developer scandal
- FREAK security flaws still present in popular iOS apps
- Nintendo to develop games for smartphones
- Pandora CFO calls Apple a ‘frenemy,’ says service will be available in CarPlay
- Apple now accepting all Apple Watch app submissions
- Apple hires former Dolby executive
- ITC to investigate Apple over Ericsson complaints
- Apple Q2 earnings call coming April 27
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- FDA taking ‘hands-off approach’ to regulating Apple Watch
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?