CDMA iPhone, new iPads due in January? | iLounge News

CDMA iPhone, new iPads due in January?

According to a new report, Apple has placed orders for “millions” of Qualcomm CDMA chipsets for a new iPhone production run in December. Citing sources with knowledge of the situation, TechCrunch reports that the production run would likely be for a January launch, with both Verizon and Sprint possible carrier partners. Digitimes adds that Pegatron Technology is expected to manufacture the phone, and that it could end up on China Telecom as well as Verizon. It also expects Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg to announce the device at CES 2011, with units shipping in January.

In the same report, Digitimes claims that Apple will launch an updated 9.7-inch iPad with a new ARM Cortex-A9-based processor and 512MB RAM in the first quarter of 2011, alongside a new 7-inch model sporting the same processor and a 1024x768 IPS display; this matches up with information reported by iLounge last week. Finally, the report claims that a new Apple TV will begin production in December, and will use AMD’s Fusion technology, will lack a hard drive, and will offer an iPhone-like interface with App Store support.

« iHome releases iHome+Radio for iPhone

Apple iPhone executive Papermaster leaves company »

Comments

I that if you were thinking of grabbing a Motorola Droid or similar Verizon alternative smartphone you would be far better off waiting to see if you can get the real Apple iPhone 4 from Verizon in a few months.

That sounds like good advice to give all your friends!

Posted by 4phun on August 9, 2010 at 7:22 AM (PDT)

Apple cannot even get the iPhone right after 4 attempts on GSM.  What makes you think they will get it right the first time on CDMA?

I know it would be too many variants, but Apple should make a 4G for Sprint.

—————
iPhone -> iPhone 3G -> iPhone 3GS -> Droid X

Posted by 4Droid on August 9, 2010 at 7:48 AM (PDT)

Hmmm .. not sure if I should wait now for an ipad. The wife wants to get me one for my b-day in Oct.

But if a new is coming out only months later maybe it’s better to wait? Do you thik a front camera will be included?

Doesn’t maater so much now that i have an iphone 4 but curious to know what others in my position (ipadless) think.

Posted by Burg on August 9, 2010 at 8:42 AM (PDT)

The CES website has been updated recently confirming Verzion’s CEO is joining the keynote lineup… smile It’s about time for a Verizon iPhone. The first comment is right, though… what will make a CDMA launch any different from the problem filled GSM launches? As usual I’ll wait and see until the bugs are worked out.

Posted by BlueHUE in Nebraska on August 9, 2010 at 8:57 AM (PDT)

I hope this time they give us a choice of unlocked (assuming that’s possible with CDMA?), one-year or two-year contracts. I really don’t want to have to sign a two-year agreement on a phone that gets updated every year. Look at what happened to people who bought a new iPhone 3G back in the Spring of ‘09. They have to spend the second half of their contract using a phone with a crippled version of the OS.

Also keep in mind that theoretically, AT&T’s data network is faster than Verizon’s. What’s gonna happen to Big Red’s data network when all those AT&T customers jump ship?

As for the iPad, if you’ve ever had a chance to compare one side-by-side with something like the Kindle, you know that if Apple is serious about the eBookstore, they almost have to bring something to market that’s more ideal for ebooks. When it comes to bright lights or long reading sessions, dedicated readers win hands-down.

Posted by Paul on August 9, 2010 at 10:12 AM (PDT)

No hard drive in the Apple TV. God, talk about bad to worse! The cloud isn’t ready to handle even the puniest digital life yet - it’s 5-10 years away!

what they need to do is combine time capsule and apple tv so we have a place to store all our music, photos and videos and play them on our tv. it’s pretty simple but Apple just keeps under thinking this one.

Posted by bruno on August 9, 2010 at 11:40 AM (PDT)

@paul: Te cloud is ready, believe me.

Posted by dennis on August 9, 2010 at 12:27 PM (PDT)

What? A new iPad already? It just launched in many parts of the world. I think many people, myself included, would be miffed that our brand spanking new iPad would become obselete in less than half a year. Or are we always going to get the latest model half a year behind the USA?

Posted by tarZen on August 9, 2010 at 6:57 PM (PDT)

I currently have the $30 unlimited data plan with AT&T for my iPad. If I replaced my current iPad with the new 7-inch iPad (iPad mini), I wonder if AT&T would still let me keep my current data plan. Or, would they make me sign up for a new data plan.

Posted by Doug on August 9, 2010 at 8:16 PM (PDT)

#7: The cloud is NOT ready until it is reliable and truly secure, and high-speed Internet access is reliable and universally available.

Posted by Farnsworth on August 10, 2010 at 6:39 AM (PDT)

For anybody wanting to jailbreak and use CREDO mobile because of that company’s relatively favorable politics,  A CDMA iPhone would make that possible.

Posted by Eddie on August 10, 2010 at 9:37 AM (PDT)