CES launch round-up: Monster, Scosche, Speakal, and more
A number of companies have launched new products at the 2011 International CES. While we’ve covered the cream of the crop in our 2011 Best of Show and subsequent articles, here’s a brief overview of some other major product introductions from the show.
Monster: Monster introduced a number of new automotive accessories for the iPod, iPhone, and iPad at the show, including the iMotion CarPlay Direct Connect. The iMotion CarPlay Direct Connect functions as a traditional car charger and audio-out accessory but adds the ability to control basic music playback functions with gesture controls. It features a charger bulb-mounted sensor to track movement, and also features a black and silver body, red, black, and chrome cords similar to those found on the company’s Beats by Dr. Dre headphones, and a built-in hinge for adjusting the direction of the sensor. Monster’s iMotion CarPlay Direct Connect will sell for $120; other new items include the iCable USB to Dock Connector Cable ($25), the iCarPlay Direct Connect AI 900 ($60), the iCarPlay Direct Connect AI 2000 ($70), the PowerPlug Dual USB 700 Car Charger ($40), the PowerPlug USB 600 Car Charger ($30), the iCar Dual USB 700 Car Charger ($45), the iCar USB 600 Car Charger ($40), and the AirTalk Bluetooth Handsfree Car Kit ($80).
Scosche: Along with the 2011 Best of Show Finalist MyTrek fitness accessory, Scosche also announced a variety of new accessories, including its new line of Realm high-performance over-ear headphones and in-ear monitors, the freedomMIC Bluetooth lavaliere microphone, new power accessories like the goBAT II dual USB tablet charger, three new flipCHARGE models, the switchBACK Surge battery case for iPhone 4, and five new variations of the flipSYNC keychain USB charge and sync cable.
Speakal: In addition to its new docking speaker systems for iPod and iPhone, Speakal also introduced BBC-branded Doctor Who and Top Gear speaker systems and new sports-themed docking speaker systems, as well as a touchscreen office phone system running Windows 7 and a new Bluetooth iPhone dock.
Avance Electronics: Avance launched its new PowerBoost Ultra-Slim Battery Case for the iPhone 4, packing a 1650mAh battery, a pass-through Dock Connector, and a slider style design, along with two external battery packs, a slim line automotive charger, and a retractable USB-to-30-pin charge and sync cable.
Denon: Denon released a $50 software upgrade for its AVR-991, AVR3311ci, N7, AVRA100, and AVR4311ci home theater systems that enable them to act as AirPlay speakers.
4i Concepts: This New York-based company announced the second generation 4iThumbs overlay typing screen for iPhone and iPod touch ($13), the 4iStrap multi-function elastic band for iPad ($20), the 4iTorq luxury wristband for the sixth-generation iPod touch ($50-$250),
Innopocket: Innopocket launched its new Amphibian waterproof play-through case for the iPhone 4, featuring a two-in-one modular design that combines a waterproof case with an inner polycarbonate hard shell that can be used as an everyday case, and a cut-out in the rear for taking underwater pictures and video. It is priced at $30.
IK Multimedia: IK Multimedia launched the iRig Mic, which the company claims is the “first handheld quality condenser microphone for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.” It connects via the headphone port, and offers a dual mini-jack connector for real-time monitoring, a three-level gain switch, and compatibility with VocaLive free, IK’s new real time effects processor app suite. Pricing and availability information has yet to be announced.
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- iFixit tears down the Apple Pencil
- Jony Ive gives insight into Apple Pencil’s creation
- iPad Pro available in some US Apple Stores today
- Tim Cook talks iPad Pro, wonders why anyone would buy a PC now
- iPad Pro available online Wednesday, hits stores later this week
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- DisneyLife subscription-based app launches in the U.K.
- Apple buys motion capture company Faceshift
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Apple aims to launch Apple Pay in China by February
- MasterCard giving Apple Pay users free trips on London’s public transit system
- Apple wins DRM patent case against ContentGuard
- Apple working on app to diagnose problems with iOS devices?
- Apple Music: Iovine apologizes for remarks about women; Adele won’t stream new album
- Apple expands personal pickup to Apple Stores in the UK
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Netatmo Welcome Smart Home Camera
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?