ChangeWave: e-Reader buyers prefer iPad over Kindle | iLounge News

ChangeWave: e-Reader buyers prefer iPad over Kindle

image

According to data from the latest ChangeWave survey, respondents looking to purchase an e-Reader in the next 90 days are more likely to buy an iPad than an Amazon Kindle. Specifically, 40% of those respondents said they would purchase an iPad, compared to 28% for the Amazon Kindle, 6% for the Barnes & Noble Nook, and only 1% who said they planned to purchase a Sony Reader. Among current e-Reader owners, 27% said they would have purchased an iPad instead of their current e-Reader had it been available at the time, compared to 45% who would have still purchased their current e-Reader, and 30% of respondents who didn’t know. The survey also asked likely iPad buyers about the timing of their purchase. 6% said they expected to purchase an iPad within a week of its release, 10% said they would likely purchase one 2-4 weeks after its release, 20% said they would likely buy an iPad 2-3 months after its release, and 23% said they thought they would purchase one 4-6 months after its release. Another 19% said they expected to purchase an iPad 7-12 months after its release, while only 8% said they expected to wait for more than a year before purchasing an iPad. ChangeWave’s survey consisted of 3,171 consumers, and was conducted from Feb 1-10, 2010.

« Enter the Schlage LiNK Giveaway today

Apple patent outlines ad-supported video content »

Comments

And of course, the iPad will work with both iBooks, Kindle AND Barnes and Noble’s own books.

Posted by Daniel S. on March 5, 2010 at 10:46 PM (CST)

Except that the battery life on the kindle is around 2 weeks, and the batterly life on the ipdad is 4 - 6 hours.

I’ve got a kindle, and i have to say that I can’t imagine reading on an LCD screen. While I don’t mind reading emails or such on a computer screen, i don’t tend to read long articles or books on mine.  I’ve got the kindle software on my Touch, and it does strain my eyes after a while. Granted, it could be because of the small screen.

I’d never give my Kindle up, just can’t see iPad being as enjoyable for reading in an extended period of time. Not to mention, the battery life isn’t going to be close to the Kindle, which truly is long (I charge mine baout once a month, and I use it every day for at least 30 minutes to an hour).

I do know the e-readers are a niche product, whereas iPad is more of a broad consumer product, but i have to wonder if the people who took that survey are really in the market for an e-reader, and if they’ve done their research. That short battery life alone should make people rethink there choice.

Posted by Jeff on March 6, 2010 at 10:36 AM (CST)

Of course everyone wants an Apple product, name Macbook, Imac, Iphone, Ipod or Ipad, but the real answer is that those 40% of “potential buyers” really are translated in real sales.

Posted by Gustavo N on March 6, 2010 at 1:34 PM (CST)

Ever since the Great God Jobs came down from the mountain and announced his new miracle, I read nothing but endless speculation on a product that (really) has been actually handled and used by anyone in the media.  Yet everyone seems to know what features it will have; manufacturers have produced skins, protective sheets for the glass screen, and necessary accessories that Apple prefers we buy to compensate for their lax manufacturing materials; all this speculation based on something an exclusive few got to handle for one brief moment back in January.

No one knows how it will be like to read a book on this screen.  No one knows the battery life or the eyestrain this product may produce.  No one knows what little restraints Apple has implemented into this creation (and trust me, based on previous experiences with Apple, there will be restrictions).

Heck, it could even be called something else besides the “iPad” (oh, please, oh please).  Remember when the Apple TV was first called iTV?

Things can change.  Specs can change.  There might be even be a camera in the final released version 1. (One can hope.)

No one (except the Great Messiah himself Mr Jobs) knows. And not even the doctor who performed the liver transplant knows. (Sorry for the jab, but I am finding Mr Jobs’ penchant for secrecy a bit tiring these days.)

Prepare to be surprised what makes it and what doesn’t in Version 1.  And wait for version 3 before you actually buy it.

Posted by jonnyOneNote on March 7, 2010 at 3:29 AM (CST)

Ah, “preferring” a product that isn’t even out yet.

Posted by Dale on March 7, 2010 at 10:49 AM (CST)

“...so if you want the best selection and a variety of price options, the iPad would be the best bet in any case anyway. “

I just bought a Sony reader for about 170$ that’s a far cry away from apple’s 500$ for the i Pad.  I bought the Sony reader for things previously mentioned.  It’s e-ink doesn’t strain the eyes like LCD/computer monitors.

All the iPad is is an oversized Itouch which isn’t worth double the price.

Posted by Marcus on March 7, 2010 at 2:34 PM (CST)

This study reminds me of the movie, “The Jerk”, where Steve Martin invents an eye glass accessory that everyone loves until they go cross-eyed and sue him into oblivion. I love my Kindles for long, leisurely reads, but also use the Kindle app on my iphone when I’m waiting in my car and have a few minutes to spare. The text page on the ipad looks gorgeous, but if it is going to bother my eyes after awhile, it is not the right tool for general reading. It may be the right tool for other things and it will be fun to own, but I hope that anyone who is truly in the market for an ebook reader will take a wait and see stance before they chance splitting headaches or eye strain.

Posted by Harry Shuman on March 8, 2010 at 3:32 PM (CST)