Chinese iPhone knock-off on the way | iLounge News

Chinese iPhone knock-off on the way

image

Chinese electronics maker Meizu is the first company to closely copy the look and feel of Apple’s iPhone. The Meizu miniOne, due out in the fourth quarter of 2007, is a GSM phone with numerous iPhone similarities, including a curved, black and polished steel design, touch-screen interface, and a nearly identical on-screen software icon layout. According to preliminary specifications, the miniOne is slightly smaller and thinner than the iPhone, has a higher resolution screen, and runs the Windows CE 6.0 operating system. Meizu also claims that the phone will be powered by the ARM11 processor and will sport two built-in cameras—a 3.0 megapixel camera on the back and an 0.3 megapixel camera on the phone’s face.

« SwimMan waterproofs iPod shuffle from inside out

Mix: Monster Cable, eMusic, Prada phone, Grammy winners »

Comments

When the ‘SuperShuffle’ got released, I was really annoyed, because it was so blatant and (aside from adding an FM radio) wasn’t an improvement on the preexisting Shuffle.
Not that I plan to buy an iPhone or any other smartphone in the near future, but this knock-off doesn’t annoy me at all. It seems like an honest improvement on the iPhone’s design (possibly save for the OS). Two camera’s is a great idea, and if it’s thinner and lighter… I almost wonder if Apple will counter this product before the real iPhone gets released to include the knock-off’s features and maybe other new one’s, too.
I just can’t imagine that they would announce something nearly six months in advance and then release it exactly as is. I have a feeling the iPhone we saw a month ago, is not quite the iPhone we’ll see in another four months.

Posted by Isral DeBruin on February 14, 2007 at 8:40 AM (PDT)

1. How can it be a knock-off if it’s released before the iPhone?

2. Meizu must have some super gee-wiz engineers and fabs to be able to complete a working prototype in the couple months since the iPhone was announced.

3. If it were a knockoff, wouldn’t it be more accurate to say it’s a knockoff of the LG Prada phone?

Posted by David on February 14, 2007 at 8:44 AM (PDT)

American computer maker Apple is the first company to closely copy the look and feel of the LG KE850. The “iPhone,” due out in mid 2007, is a GSM phone with numerous LG KE850 similarities, including a curved, black and polished steel design, touch-screen interface, and a nearly identical on-screen software icon layout. Additionally, even the name “iPhone” is not original, but was taken from another company. According to preliminary specifications, the “iPhone” is slightly more hyped and expensive than the KE850, has a much later delivery date, and requires that all users switch to Cingular. Apple also claims that the phone will “BOOM!” be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Posted by Helmach on February 14, 2007 at 9:55 AM (PDT)

Jeez…

Isral…HTF can you say it’s an honest improvement over the iPhone’s design, when you haven’t seen or used either one?

David…read the article…due in the fourth quarter of 2007.  The iPhone is due in June.

Posted by The Raven in USA on February 14, 2007 at 9:59 AM (PDT)

Well so long as its not 500 bucks and doesn’t require Cingular the company with the fewest dropped calls because you never have enough signal to MAKE any…...Then ITS GREAT!

Posted by vcurams87 on February 14, 2007 at 10:39 AM (PDT)

Anyone can design something that looks like another product (the iPhone).  The real issue is how it works, my guess not even worthy of 1/2 second of Steve Jobs time.

It is still a knock off if you design something to replicate another product. It doesn’t matter if the product is released yet or not.  A copy of a demo is the same as a copy of a released product.

I tend to agree we don’t know the final specs of the iPhone and that they’ll change before it is released.

My guess is it will include both EDGE and HSDPA (3G) and probably be larger capacity (based on flash memory prices).

In my opinion, not being HSDPA capable and storage less than 30 GB, will make hold off on buying.  It needs to replace my Video iPod 5G and be better than my Treo 650 to win a spot in my pocket.

Posted by wheatie on February 14, 2007 at 10:54 AM (PDT)

Is the Chinese phone an MP3 player as well?

Posted by BN17 on February 14, 2007 at 10:54 AM (PDT)

The better phone will win! Let’s see.

Posted by lrd on February 14, 2007 at 11:22 AM (PDT)

I was just saying it SOUNDS like an honest improvement over the iPhone. Of course I don’t know… I’ve never used either.

I agree that the Iphone would need to completely replace my iPod in terms of capacity, and equal my current phone in terms of capability (which wouldn’t be very hard) and still not be outrageously more than the price of the two devices combined.

I assume the Chinese phone will play mp3s as well.

I really don’t think that the iPhone is as big of a knock-off of the LG Prada as everyone makes it sound. The Prada is quite ugly in comparison to the iPhone… it’s not as sleek in appearance and the icons look terrible. While there are obvious similarities, this Chinese phone is clearly a knock-off of the iPhone, not the Prada.

Posted by Isral DeBruin on February 14, 2007 at 12:11 PM (PDT)

The better phone won’t win. The one with the bigger marketing campaign will.

Posted by Greg on February 14, 2007 at 1:34 PM (PDT)

does this phone have all the things the real iPhone has?
why cant companies just design their own stuff?

Posted by ipod on February 14, 2007 at 1:38 PM (PDT)

Meizu certainly has worse hand models than apple haha

Posted by sk8russ on February 14, 2007 at 1:45 PM (PDT)

If this will make Apple choose more than one carrier or provide us with more storage then so be it.

I re-upped with Verizon so it looks like another 2 years before I buy anything new.

In 2 years an Iphone will rock!!

Posted by Gary Zero on February 14, 2007 at 2:52 PM (PDT)

NOT!

Posted by unreal on February 14, 2007 at 3:58 PM (PDT)

“Well when I think of high quality, dependable products….I always buy chinese products. NOT!”

Funny, this is what people said about Japanese products in the 70’s

Posted by Mike on February 14, 2007 at 4:39 PM (PDT)

Lol, there are still many dumb ignorant idiots.

Posted by JON on February 14, 2007 at 4:55 PM (PDT)

@ ipod: Because almost everything that is made by the Chinese is fake.  Shoes, bikes, cars, you name it. If it’s designed by a chinese company, it’s probably a knockoff.

Posted by The Soup Nazi on February 14, 2007 at 6:45 PM (PDT)

I guess you should throw away that iPod then.  It’s made in China.

It doesn’t matter where it is made, it matters where it is designed and whether it is tested.

Posted by Mike on February 15, 2007 at 8:31 AM (PDT)

“Because almost everything that is made by the Chinese is fake.”

Soup Nazi are you living back in the 70’s???

Please tell me your not that ignorant. A great deal of the items in your home, car, and what you wear are now made by China… including your beloved iPod as Mike pointed out.  Better throw that one out… it’s a fake!

Posted by dx on February 15, 2007 at 9:36 AM (PDT)

This is a blatant rip off of an awesome innovation by Apple. It’s disgusting.

Posted by Tom on February 15, 2007 at 9:56 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >