Chinese iPhone knock-off on the way | iLounge News

Chinese iPhone knock-off on the way

image

Chinese electronics maker Meizu is the first company to closely copy the look and feel of Apple’s iPhone. The Meizu miniOne, due out in the fourth quarter of 2007, is a GSM phone with numerous iPhone similarities, including a curved, black and polished steel design, touch-screen interface, and a nearly identical on-screen software icon layout. According to preliminary specifications, the miniOne is slightly smaller and thinner than the iPhone, has a higher resolution screen, and runs the Windows CE 6.0 operating system. Meizu also claims that the phone will be powered by the ARM11 processor and will sport two built-in cameras—a 3.0 megapixel camera on the back and an 0.3 megapixel camera on the phone’s face.

« SwimMan waterproofs iPod shuffle from inside out

Mix: Monster Cable, eMusic, Prada phone, Grammy winners »

Comments

Excellent point dx. The Soup Nazi doesn’t realize that the keyboard and computer he used to type his message, has a great deal of its parts made in China.

JON is right. There are indeed “still many dumb ignorant idiots”... on this forum.

Posted by inline on February 15, 2007 at 9:58 AM (PDT)

Well…at least this one sync’s with Outlook. As far as I am concerned, the iPhone is a toy and not a business tool.

Posted by Spencer on February 15, 2007 at 10:40 AM (PDT)

Like how Apple computers are just toys and not for real professionals in the industry /sarcasm

Posted by xsushi on February 15, 2007 at 2:17 PM (PDT)

lol with the guy that said “most things made in China are fake”.  Translation - Most things produced in China have a fake counterpart, also produced in China.  Sometimes it’s hard to tell which is better.

Posted by DSM on February 15, 2007 at 10:56 PM (PDT)

Let me rephrase. If I said that everything made by the Chinese is fake, I would own NOTHING right now. I meant to say “Chinese COMPANIES”....such as Meizu, Kwoktong, Gung hay fat choy, etc. And I guess to say “everything” is a stretch, some things made by the Chinese are original.

Posted by The Soup Nazi on February 15, 2007 at 11:23 PM (PDT)

SORRY for the double-post, but I DID say “Chinese COMPANIES”. I highly doubt that Apple is a chinese company.

Posted by The Soup Nazi on February 15, 2007 at 11:25 PM (PDT)

I highly doubt that Apple is a chinese company.

But their partners in manufacturing are.

One should be more mindful when making such inflammatory generalizations.

Posted by flatline response on February 16, 2007 at 1:15 PM (PDT)

Hell, if this thing is cheaper, I would take it over the iPhone anyday. 3.0mp camera with another one at the front (3g?). Hmm. Thinner? Great. Higher res screen? Perfect.

Thing is people, there is a line between liking a product/company and completely being obsessed and fanboy-ish. The Zen Vision was superior to the ‘Pod and by the sounds of things, this might actually be better then the iPhone. Before you flame back, think about it…why are you defending a consumer product like so? Pathetic!

Posted by CPS on February 16, 2007 at 5:31 PM (PDT)

The number of megapixels on the camera means squat when it comes down to quality. It’s all about the lens. If the lens is terrible, then the picture quality is terrible. Combine that with a 3MP camera, then you get a 2048×1536 of fuzz.

I’d still rather buy an ApplePhone then buy a knockoff. Or for that matter a RAZR (think back to when the RAZR was released…people paid $1000+ just to own one).

Posted by Nobody on February 16, 2007 at 9:19 PM (PDT)

“I meant to say “Chinese COMPANIES”....such as Meizu, Kwoktong, Gung hay fat choy, etc. And I guess to say “everything” is a stretch, some things made by the Chinese are original.”

Dude, if you are making up names of companies from any Chinese words you’ve heard in your neck of the woods, you are really just another redneck hillbilly who’s writing comments on a Commodore 64.

Americans do invent a lot of great products like iPod, but don’t think for 1 moment that everything here is original.  In the corporate world, when there is a shortcut to be had, it will be taken.  Same goes anywhere in the world.

Posted by Mike on February 17, 2007 at 7:22 AM (PDT)

I agree with the headline: Knock-off, but this may be a better phone for some. Consider some possible points:

1) If the phone is unlocked.
2) User maybe able to add their own storage card (current SD capacities are already at 4gb and only cost about $40)
3) Runs WM6 so allows sync’ing with Outlook and/or Exchange server. Additionally it allows for remote wipe in case you lose your phone and want all your personal data wiped from the device.
4) Yes it plays MP3s as well as WMA (because it’s a MS OS).
5) The biggest difference: Allows for 3rd party apps to be installed. The iphone will only run what Apples wants it’s consumers to run. That’s crap in my book. Why shouldn’t I be able to use my phone for GPS navigation while traveling?
6) Better screen resolution so that using Terminal Service Client is actually usable. IT Pros will like this feature better.

As I mentioned earlier, I think this phone is better for a certain consumer demographic: Business/IT users. I think the iPhone is impressive, but its just not a good solution for me (and others).

Posted by Justin on February 20, 2007 at 8:16 AM (PDT)

Meizu is known for having superior sounding products as well as Flac support and constant firmware developement.

Posted by Kid Coelco on February 23, 2007 at 5:12 PM (PDT)

This just s***s me.

Posted by Japester on April 19, 2007 at 7:33 PM (PDT)

i like to view everything on china iphone.i really enjoy china product.

Posted by abimbola7 on March 17, 2008 at 4:30 AM (PDT)

we were wondering how our freind got an iphone from china for less than 200 dollars ... people are saying that it is the cheaper version of the iphone yet we dont understand how to get this phone…. it has most of the same features i think although the typing pad for sms is smaller and im guessing it has a smaller memory span…. can you tell me about this phone and is there much difference between the two

Posted by tyla and stella on August 19, 2008 at 7:24 PM (PDT)

If corporate America realy wanted to stop this then stop out sourcing you production there! They are abviously using us to screw us into a financial mess then use it to their advatage.

Posted by Stevemac on September 28, 2008 at 9:34 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2