Cingular offers Motorola SLVR phone with iTunes | iLounge News

Cingular offers Motorola SLVR phone with iTunes

imageCingular is now selling and promoting Motorola’s SLVR L7 with iTunes. The ultra-slim device, modeled after the popular RAZR phone, features a VGA camera with 4x digital zoom, video capture and playback, Bluetooth wireless, built-in stereo speakers, and mobile email and web browser. Like Motorola’s ROKR phone, the SLVR comes with a 512 MB Micro SD card and imposes a 100-song storage cap. The Quad-band GSM phone (850/900/1800/1900 MHz) sells for $200 with a two-year service agreement.

« ESPN relents to complaints, offers TV ads for free

Advertisers target video iPod users »

Comments

So close…
I’ve just sold my mp3 player, and am going to replace it with a proper music playing phone.  I was pretty sure I was going to get the Sony Ericsson w810i and a 2GB memory stick, and well this has just made up my mind.  Whoever thinks imposing a 100-song limit on the phone is a good idea is an idiot.

Posted by John on January 31, 2006 at 9:33 AM (CST)

I agree about the song limit, but there are several points on why it’s done:

1.  It’s a PHONE foremost… people forget that cell phones are for making calls first, and all the fancy features next.

2.  I believe it was stated that Jobs made a song limit since Apple didn’t want it to compete with the iPod.  Why self-sabotage your #1 product?!

3.  This may be a stretch, but unlimited songs could mean the user could play and play and play, and wear out the battery FAST.

4.  I’m just happy that they have one at all, although I can certainly understand why people would want integrated singular devices rather than carrying many gadgets.

Posted by Chris G on January 31, 2006 at 9:53 AM (CST)

Chris G. U are a wise man.

Posted by Jonathan Keim on January 31, 2006 at 10:07 AM (CST)

Any word if it will play videos from the itms?

Posted by cgar on January 31, 2006 at 10:32 AM (CST)

In reply to Chris G:

1: Yes, it is a phone first, but why would someone buy this over a regular L7 if they didn’t want to play music on it?

2: This is where I agree with you, it’s the only reason why I can think that they would have the limit.  This though doesn’t really make sense, it only comes with 512MB of memory which puts it on par with the Shuffle, and so a regular iPod and this are targeting completely different markets.  It might put a few people off a 2GB nano though, although Apple obviously make money everytime one of these are sold.

3: Well the w800 has a battery life of 15-16 hours when it’s playing in music only mode.  Of course it will affect battery, but I do think that point is a bit of a strech alright!

4: Exactly, I want a “phone” (for want of a better word) that treats the music player as seriously as it does the actual phone.  Not just with a tacted on music player.  Apple haven’t done this, Sony Ericsson have.

Posted by John on January 31, 2006 at 10:51 AM (CST)

Any word on if this is the exact same iTunes software as the ROKR or if they’ve improved it.  While a lot of people seemed to not like the appearance of the ROKR, there was also a large backlash over the software and how poorly it performed.  I specificaly remember hearing the work clunky.  Anyway, does anyone know if they’ve made improvements?

Posted by Brett on January 31, 2006 at 11:26 AM (CST)

Do we need any more circumstantial evidence that Apple will be coming out with their own phone with iTunes built in?  Ya think it’ll have a 100 song limit? hahaha

Posted by Eric Emerick on January 31, 2006 at 5:41 PM (CST)

Think about it, if you don’t have an iPod, and want a cool new cell phone, this is a good deal.  It holds as much as a shuffle, and has a bunch of cool stuff like bluetooth and a video camera.

Its not a bad price at $200, but I’m probobly gonna wait till the price drop. It only took the ROKR what, 3 week to drop?

Posted by Wash Jones on January 31, 2006 at 6:25 PM (CST)

i’ve been thinking…the SLVR comes with a 512 mb card (micro sd), right? it can hold 100 songs…same as the 512 mb shuffle…sandisk makes a 1 gb micro sd card ( http://www.sandisk.com/ )...the 1 gb shuffle holds 240 songs…would using a 1 gb micro sd give the SLVR the ability to have more music?...just a thought…

Posted by Jeremy on January 31, 2006 at 6:45 PM (CST)

Why not buy a couple 512 mb cards. They are small enough to carry in your wallet. 1gb card card will fit, but the software will only allow 100 songs +/- per card.

Posted by fireblade on January 31, 2006 at 8:26 PM (CST)

thats pretty kool

Posted by ipoder555 on January 31, 2006 at 9:16 PM (CST)

Poor man’s razr?

Posted by Macromedia on January 31, 2006 at 9:20 PM (CST)

Where the heck is the V3i? Impatiently waiting…

Posted by shogun on February 1, 2006 at 7:36 AM (CST)

I just got this phone and I love it. I really dont think of it as an MP3 player. I like it mainly bc A. I love motorola’s screen layout..its easy and classy. B. its small which is very nice when you wear dress pants a lot. C. I loved the razor look and I like this one even more.

Now, you said you are waiting for the new erickson to come out…but im sorry… ericksons are the worst phones on the history of the planet. I have had two (i didnt want the second one…xmas present)... and they both sucked as has everybody elses that i know. this phone is cool and the music is just a nice addon. Maybe since i have a 20G ipod its easier for me to over look the song capacity…but I dont think its that big of deal.

Posted by natehuneycutt on February 1, 2006 at 3:37 PM (CST)

How are the headphones? The ROKR headphones were terrible! Not only did they look bad, but they felt cheap and wouldn’t stay in my ears! That was a big deciding factor for me, the headphone/microphone.

Posted by Darryl on February 2, 2006 at 9:08 AM (CST)

So is it “Sliver” or “Silver”?

Posted by rascaljones on February 2, 2006 at 8:15 PM (CST)

Just saw a commercial for it today.  It’s “Sliver”.

Posted by IsLNdbOi on February 3, 2006 at 6:04 AM (CST)

Anyone know the name of the song in the background for the cingular motorolla SLVR L7 add ... i love it ..i want it
thanks

Posted by Kim on February 28, 2006 at 2:08 PM (CST)

im fin ta get tha side kick tres. hella effin sick!!!!!!!!!

Posted by joshua on June 1, 2007 at 3:30 PM (CDT)

hey i have the sliver phone with itunes. i need help connecting my phone to itunes. when i plug it up to the computer nothing pops up and when i go to itunes it doesnt say it is connected. could you please help me out

Posted by jake on October 29, 2008 at 11:33 PM (CDT)