Cisco sues Apple over iPhone name
Cisco Systems filed suit against Apple today, claiming that the company is using the iPhone name without permission. The suit comes after an apparent licensing deal fell through this week following years of negotiations over the iPhone trademark, which Cisco has owned since 2000.
“Cisco entered into negotiations with Apple in good faith after Apple repeatedly asked permission to use Cisco’s iPhone name,” Mark Chandler, Cisco’s senior vice president and general counsel, said in a statement. “There is no doubt that Apple’s new phone is very exciting, but they should not be using our trademark without permission.”
As of yesterday, Cisco said it was confident Apple would agree to its latest terms, noting that it was expecting to receive a signed agreement from Apple. Cisco said the paperwork never arrived, and today filed a lawsuit, asking a U.S. district judge for Northern California to order Apple not to use the iPhone name during this week’s Macworld Expo.
Natalie Kerris, an Apple spokeswoman, dismissed Cisco’s suit. “We think Cisco’s trademark lawsuit is silly,” she said. Several companies already use the name “iPhone” for Voice-over-Internet products, Kerris said. “Apple is the first company to ever use the ‘iPhone’ name for a cell phone. We believe that Cisco’s trademark registration is tenuous at best. If Cisco wants to challenge us on it, we are very confident we would prevail.”
- Apple releases iOS 8.4 beta to developers, with new Music app
- Sprint, UK’s EE add Wi-Fi calling with iOS 8.3
- Apple releases iOS 8.3, iCloud Photo Library comes out of beta
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- iLounge Weekly arrives on Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Pay coming to Canada later this year?
- Report: Apple being uncooperative with antitrust monitor
- Leaked cases may hint at ‘iPad Pro’ design details
- L.A. school district seeking restitution over failed iPad program (Updated)
- Apple partners with The Conservation Fund to protect U.S. working forests
- In-store sales of Apple Watch delayed until at least June
- Apple adds WWDC scholarships to promote diversity
- Samsung creates exclusive team to build Apple screens
- Ikea reveals US prices for Wireless Charging Collection
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?