Classic iPod owners’ frustration with Apple makes headlines
Published: Thursday, May 1, 2003
The Register has picked up the story of Classic iPod owners’ frustration with Apple’s decision not to release iPod 2.0 firmware for Classic iPods. Included in the story is Apple’s heavy-handed policy of deleting any posts to their message board that mentioned the problem in something less than a positive light.
“To make matters worse, a number of Reg readers claim Apple has been deleting posts from grumbling iPod users. If true - and we should say we had no trouble finding disgruntled user comments - it’s hardly a method guaranteed to calm the fevered brows, but Apple has taken such an arguably arrogant stance before. So have other manufacturers, for that matter.
So we asked Apple to clarify Gayle’s posting. Unfortunately, it has not responded to our request. Apple has since posted this KnowledgeBase posting which lists the many differences between versions 1.3 and 2.0 of the software.
That leaves us with little choice but to assume the motive for not upgrading older iPods to 2.0 is more commercial rather than technical. Sure, Apple has a right to make such a move, and it’s by no means unique in doing so, but it could have approached the matter with rather more tact and honesty than it appears to have done.”
(Thanks to iLounge forums member dan131 for the link.)
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apps: Assassin’s Creed Pirates, Doctor Who: Legacy, Double Dragon Trilogy + Foursquare 7.0
- Apple patent reveals ‘smart dock’ for Siri use
- Bluetooth 4.1 announced as free update for 4.0 devices
- Apple and China Mobile make iPhone deal?
- Startup uses iBeacon to allow Newsstand publication access
- Honda announces iPhone-powered car touchscreen
- Report: Apple may launch two 12.9-inch iPads
- Apps: Jetpack Joyride 1.6, The Lonely Beast 123, LoryStripes + Shazam 7.2
- Mophie debuts Powerstation XL battery pack
- China Mobile subsidiary briefly takes iPhone preorders
- Wren V5BT Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Incipio offGRID Pro Battery Case for iPhone 5
- Belkin WeMo Insight Switch
- STM Studio for iPad Air
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPad Air
- Belkin LEGO Builder Case for iPad mini
- Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad Air
- Incipio Atlas ID for iPhone 5s
- JBL Spark Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Speaker
- IK Multimedia iRig KEYS PRO
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone
- Custom ringtones assignments don’t sync to iCloud
- Resuming incomplete iCloud backups
- Adding multiple photos to a Shared Photo Stream
- Quality of videos sent via Messages
- Text messages being delivered to wrong iPhone
- Problems logging in to iTunes Store
- Receiving FaceTime calls on multiple devices
- iOS 7: Incorrect display of Company-only contacts