Classic iPod owners’ frustration with Apple makes headlines | iLounge News

Classic iPod owners’ frustration with Apple makes headlines

The Register has picked up the story of Classic iPod owners’ frustration with Apple’s decision not to release iPod 2.0 firmware for Classic iPods. Included in the story is Apple’s heavy-handed policy of deleting any posts to their message board that mentioned the problem in something less than a positive light.

“To make matters worse, a number of Reg readers claim Apple has been deleting posts from grumbling iPod users. If true - and we should say we had no trouble finding disgruntled user comments - it’s hardly a method guaranteed to calm the fevered brows, but Apple has taken such an arguably arrogant stance before. So have other manufacturers, for that matter.

So we asked Apple to clarify Gayle’s posting. Unfortunately, it has not responded to our request. Apple has since posted this KnowledgeBase posting which lists the many differences between versions 1.3 and 2.0 of the software.

That leaves us with little choice but to assume the motive for not upgrading older iPods to 2.0 is more commercial rather than technical. Sure, Apple has a right to make such a move, and it’s by no means unique in doing so, but it could have approached the matter with rather more tact and honesty than it appears to have done.”

(Thanks to iLounge forums member dan131 for the link.)

« Photos of new iPod at SpyMac

French Mac Site Posts New iPod Photos »

Comments

It is clear that Apple’s reason for not providing the new features for owners of existing iPods is to make the new iPods more attractive.  There is no technical reason why the new features wouldn’t work on older iPods.  It is quite a slap in the face for older iPod owners who have helped make the iPod such a sales success.  It has taken all of the joy out of using the new Music Store for me.  I submitted feedback to Apple that I won’t be buying any more tracks from the MUSIC STORE until the new features are made available for owners of older iPods.  Perhaps Apple will hear us all loud and clear if others provide the same feedback!

Posted by WindozeBloze in New York on May 1, 2003 at 4:08 PM (CDT)

Tell Apple you’re mad, people! Be clear, concise, and most of all… SMART. Don’t type in all caps, just deliver an intelligent message that you’re angry.

I did.

Posted by Adam Carrington on May 1, 2003 at 5:11 PM (CDT)

I sent Apple my feedback, and I’ve posted it as an open lettter here.

Posted by Songdog on May 1, 2003 at 5:41 PM (CDT)

If it’s got a 32Mb buffer… what’s a 4k playlist file going to hurt performance?  I’d like to hear the answer to that.

My honest opinion though, without it’s exclusive firmware, I would have NO reason whatsoever to purchase the new iPod.  In my opinion it’s just been repackaged for desktop PC users and updated with every software trick we’ve wanted from the start.  I say this as a Powerbook G4 owner, so to me a dock isn’t a very big deal really.  I like the layout of the 2nd ver iPods the best and I really don’t think that needed changing.  It’s smaller and lighter, maybe, but the iPod was already the smallest and best designed.  How’s the saying go… “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it?”  Well Apple fixed it alright, and then they went and effectively ditched all the current owners who were the ones calling for those features.  I’m not sure how many others share this opinion but I simply hope more than a few people at Apple hear what everyone here is saying.

[/Rant]

Posted by stevek in Northern Virginia, USA on May 1, 2003 at 9:08 PM (CDT)

It is hard to come to terms with the fact that I am an “old ipod” owner, considering I have had mine for a month. I have given
Apple my feedback and do hope they update the software for us “older” ones. As a PC user who decided to pay Apple’s outragious prices for my ipod, I am dissapointed. I am shocked by the way Apple treats their customers. Maybe that is why I switched from Apple in the first place, at least the compitation forces the companies to show their customers some respect, I wish Jobs would do the same.

Posted by bunnycake on May 2, 2003 at 10:22 AM (CDT)

So what the hell are we gonna do about it then?  I am extremely pd off about this situation.  I saw the new firmawre update and it appeaered that it was gonna give uws all the features we have been requesting for an age…as an ex Jukebox user the on the go playlist has been long oversdue in my opinion - but apple go and stab us in the back in the name of copmmercialism.  Is that how you maintain a loyal customer base?  Problem is I cant see how we can beat them on this - esp if they are silencing complaints.  Anyone fancy having a go at hacking the firmware to work on the ‘old’ pods?

Posted by Jamie Kirkpatrick in Brazil on May 2, 2003 at 10:27 AM (CDT)

I plan on getting 2.0 to work in my old iPod… and releasing it to everyone. DMCA be damned.

Posted by Adam Carrington on May 2, 2003 at 11:56 AM (CDT)

Tons of my postings got deleted from their forums.  It’s pathetic.  I bought a $500 music player from them and they delete my feedback.  !@$#!@$*, Apple.

Posted by AMG on May 2, 2003 at 3:27 PM (CDT)

I thought Apple was a high quality customer-focused company; however, after having all 4 of my “normal” software request postings deleted in the last couple of days, I have started to change my mind.  Most of us are just requesting one “on the go” playlist and/or any new software options that our “old” iPods could support.  As of right now, my iPod may be the first and last thing that I ever buy from Apple.  I was just starting to get into Apple and was even considering buying one of their computers.  Apple needs to address this issue to regain the confidence of many its customers.  This situation seems unusually similar to their “Jaguar OS” scandal where people who had purchased pre-Jaguar computers just before Jaguar came out had to buy an expensive Jaguar upgrade (if they wanted it).

I am looking forward to the release of the Philips HDD100.  Cnet calls it a potential iPod killer and I have always had excellent experience with Philips products, so I may get one if the reviews are good.  You can see more about it on cnet.com or at http://www.audio.philips.com/betatest_HDD100.asp

Posted by ipodder on May 2, 2003 at 5:17 PM (CDT)

On http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipod.html

I put:
“You asked us want we wanted and we told you via this feedback form and now you are giving the features we suggested to new customers but not to us.  Thanks for asking.  This is terrible customer service.  I feel cheated.”

They asked us for ideas and we gave them ideas and now they are making us pay if we want them.  When I was suggesting software upgrades, I thought I was making suggestions for improving my iPod not just new iPods.  What a scam!!!

Posted by Ex-iPod User on May 2, 2003 at 6:19 PM (CDT)

I’ve said my piece at the feedback site, no anger involved. Maybe an online petition thing should be created, that seems to work for… nothing, nevermind, that’s a stupid idea.

Posted by Malik in NY on May 2, 2003 at 7:21 PM (CDT)

Jamie:

If you need a hand getting the iPod 2.0 Installer (I “borrowed” it off the HD on one of the Apple Store Macs today), drop me an e-mail and I’ll hook you up. Too bad it doesn’t install on my 20GB…

Posted by Dhruv Kalra on May 2, 2003 at 8:14 PM (CDT)

I haven’t seen this discussed anywhere yet. I would be willing to pay a reasonable price for the upgrade if I was getting a feature or two that I considered really useful. For instance, on the go playlists. Could apple make it happen if we were willing to pay?

Posted by Paul Vreugdenhil on May 2, 2003 at 9:16 PM (CDT)

Yes, a commercial upgrade would be fair, and I’d pay a reasonable price for it ($15? $30?). The upgrade should definitely be available for free for really recent purchasers of second-generation iPods, though. There’s plenty of precedent for that.

Posted by Songdog on May 2, 2003 at 10:19 PM (CDT)

I had a little chat with my “friend” at the apple store.

I sent that chat to apple and I also posted it on my site so everyone can read it.

Posted by Screaming Baboon in Japan on May 2, 2003 at 10:29 PM (CDT)

Songdog, I have to say that if that guy is a salesman he needs to do some serious work on his english and spelling.  its nice to know that he thinks that apple shouldnt have to support stuff they ‘dont make no more’, and that ‘there’ only acting reasonable.  with sales people like that its no wonder apple is stuck with, what, 3% market share?

Posted by wes on May 3, 2003 at 12:39 PM (CDT)

More power to you, Jamie.  I was toying with the idea myself, but don’t have the time.  Make sure you post an announcement to the site if you get anywhere.  It doesn’t have to be completed, you just have to start getting somewhere and then other people might join in.  TiVos have been hacked after all, but then again they’re linux-based which made it easier.

I’d be willing to pay up to $40 for the software upgrade.  After getting an iPod when my Nomad Jukebox broke, that was my #1 complaint.  But there’s no way in hell I’m buying another $400 iPod just to get it, and I’ve told them as much (but more politely.)

If you’ve sent them a message, send another one after a few days.  I doubt they’re keeping track and won’t even notice unless you submit multiple times in a row.

Posted by Gremnan on May 3, 2003 at 2:45 PM (CDT)

Maybe we should “accidentally” select from the current models when posting the form too, since it’ll be less likely to be ignored.  They’re probably more interested in feedback on the new models than on the old ones.

Posted by dee on May 3, 2003 at 2:57 PM (CDT)

Simply-SCREW APPLE-I NOW REALLY REGRET EVER BUYING MY IPOD!!!

Posted by Screw Apple on May 3, 2003 at 5:08 PM (CDT)

wes, that was Screaming Baboon’s chatlog, not mine. Credit where credit is due.

Posted by Songdog on May 3, 2003 at 5:19 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >