Classic iPod owners’ frustration with Apple makes headlines | iLounge News

Classic iPod owners’ frustration with Apple makes headlines

The Register has picked up the story of Classic iPod owners’ frustration with Apple’s decision not to release iPod 2.0 firmware for Classic iPods. Included in the story is Apple’s heavy-handed policy of deleting any posts to their message board that mentioned the problem in something less than a positive light.

“To make matters worse, a number of Reg readers claim Apple has been deleting posts from grumbling iPod users. If true - and we should say we had no trouble finding disgruntled user comments - it’s hardly a method guaranteed to calm the fevered brows, but Apple has taken such an arguably arrogant stance before. So have other manufacturers, for that matter.

So we asked Apple to clarify Gayle’s posting. Unfortunately, it has not responded to our request. Apple has since posted this KnowledgeBase posting which lists the many differences between versions 1.3 and 2.0 of the software.

That leaves us with little choice but to assume the motive for not upgrading older iPods to 2.0 is more commercial rather than technical. Sure, Apple has a right to make such a move, and it’s by no means unique in doing so, but it could have approached the matter with rather more tact and honesty than it appears to have done.”

(Thanks to iLounge forums member dan131 for the link.)

« Photos of new iPod at SpyMac

French Mac Site Posts New iPod Photos »

Comments

apple has always been greedy, and screwed its customer base over repeatedly. apple harware and software comes out months later and costs twice as much.

online petitions arent a bad idea, but most companies prefer to look at sales figures instead of petitions.

boycoting he online music store is a good idea, but i think that will happen anyways. why would anyone pay for music, esp the drm crap they are trying to sell?

as for apple deleting user posts, that is very slimy. when a company interferes with someones right to free speech they need to be taught a lesson. the RIAA had their site tooled a few times, and i think apple needs a taste of this medicine as well.

ppl should open their eyes. ever since a few thousand 1st gen apple pc’s went into a landfil site, the company showed their true colors. they would rather throw their stuff int eh garbage than give their users a good deal.

Posted by justice in www on May 3, 2003 at 6:40 PM (CDT)

Apple has always been “greedy” and “screwed” over it’s customer base?  Please.

New features cost money develop, and it should only be expected that Apple wants to charge for them.  This was the case for the Jaguar upgrade, and it is the case for the new slew of iPods.

Computing technology has *always* had a very quick adoption / obsoletion curve.  This is not unique to Apple, and I am thankful that they’re actually cranking out useful features in their new products (contrast to, say Palm, which hasn’t innovated all that much in 6 years).

Posted by Stu in Toronto ON on May 3, 2003 at 7:00 PM (CDT)

These are childish reactions, it appears, to those who simply want everything for free. To some extent, you should get reliable software upgrades, but to expect brand new features on old products is inane. Do you get upset that someone releases a new video card with new features, and expect the same functionality to automatically be available to your older generation card? That’s sort of ridiculous don’t you think? How would a company ever progress supporting older models to that degree?

I have (turning into past-tense) an “older” iPod but simply didn’t feel at all cheated when new units came out. I’m buying the new one for the extra space, and what appears to be a better interface—truly the top two items that are of any importance to an mp3 player, and reasonable choices for an upgrade, in my opinion.

Don’t like it? Sell it. Never satisfied? Use a CD player. Use a competitor. Vote with your dollars. If you don’t like Apple’s, ahem, “greedy” policy, then don’t use it. What, for $40, can you upgrade your cellphone, laptop, PDA to a newer model? I mean, come on, listen to yourselves! What’s the average age of the complainers? 8 years old? No, really?

Posted by reason on May 3, 2003 at 8:42 PM (CDT)

Whether or not you think they’ve innovated Palm has consistently delivered OS updates for its older devices until the hardware simply got too different (which took quite a while). Eventually they started charging. Of course it costs money to develop these features, and Apple could reasonably charge us for new firmware updates. The thing is that our iPods aren’t obsolete. There’s no reason why both current and new users can’t share the benefits of new feature development efforts. People will still buy the new iPods: people who’ve never owned one, or people who are willing to pay for more space, the docking station, or a slimmer unit. Those are all great reasons. Withheld firmware components is not a good reason, and makes for a lot of bad blood.

Also, I’m getting pretty sick of the bad analogies people are coming up with here (and in a parallel discussion on my site) : cellphones, laptops, PDAs, etc..

Cellphones? Most people get them for free (or at least heavily subsidized) with a service plan. Most aren’t designed for straightforward software updates. The iPod is.

Laptops? We update software all the time on these. New OS? New features! Sometimes they’re free, sometimes they cost a lot of money, but you often don’t have to replace the hardware to benefit from new software.

PDA? I’m a Palm user, and I’ve installed new Palm OS software on many occasions, as well as lots of third party stuff. OS updates used to be free, then they started charging. How much? About $40, I think ;)

Posted by Songdog on May 3, 2003 at 10:05 PM (CDT)

Seeing that we’re now stereotyping people angry with this fcked up iPod fiasco… it’s probably safe to say anyone who sides with Apple on this one probably “hates niggers” too.

-Adam Carrington, Age 8

Posted by Adam Carrington on May 4, 2003 at 12:01 AM (CDT)

Weren’t you guys happy when you bought the iPod? Did you expect a “on-the-go playlisting” feature to be added? If you weren’t happy with it, you should have returned it; and if you expected this feature, then you should have bought a Nomad or similar. Now that there’s a new product which does have this feature, you all get whiny because you don’t get it unless you ante up and buy a new iPod. Well, you aren’t entitled to anything other than what you took home from the store the day you bought it. Get real.

Posted by Rob in USA on May 4, 2003 at 2:33 AM (CDT)

Part of the benefit of buying a product with upgradeable firmware is the ability to obtain new features as time goes on.  Many of the people who are upset with Apple are complaining because they have submitted suggestions to Apple using Apple’s “Feedback” page with the desire that Apple add these new features to existing iPods.  To suggest that these are childish reactions is to insult these individuals.  They feel betrayed by Apple after having spent anywhere from $300 to $500 for their iPods, offered suggestions to Apple for improvements to those iPods, and were left out when the suggestions were implemented.  Hopefully Apple will not turn its back on the very people who helped make the iPod such an overwhelming sales success.

Posted by WindozeBloze on May 4, 2003 at 6:26 AM (CDT)

Yes, indeed, you do get free OS updates with a laptop or PDA, with the *expectation* that you get some *new* features—but that of course is not analogous, to say, a music player. You’re right, my analogy was that—an analogy: something to use as an aid to understanding, a paradigm, an example—not an exact replica of the scenario.

Indeed, it would seem irritating if Apple took features and put it into a new model, and WHAT??! didn’t give those to me for free? How mean of them!  Adding user feedback to new products! Sheesh, I’d rather have them stifle innovation instead and charge more for non-plussing upgrades! OK, sorry about that… Truly, if anything, Apple only owes an explanation. Or even minor updates, if possible. But NOT the whole sh-bang, yes?

I’m just not irritated with this new development, nor was “upgradeable firmware” a major selling point—*it’s to listen to music, without button clutter*—that’s it for me; my current iPod seems to work just fine for listening to music. But hey, the new ones look even better. Sorry, Adam; no offense to 8-year-olds. A few of them are my best friends. ;)

Again, sorry for being so overly-polemic. I guess I’m just one of the minority who’s NOT miffed, and find it whiny—or even a bit cheap—when everyone else is a little too ticked off. I should’ve kept my argument simple for you: What Rob said.

Posted by reason on May 4, 2003 at 9:20 PM (CDT)

Well, like I said before, I wouldn’t mind paying for the upgrade, since it does add significant features and is not just some tweaks.  However, I feel they’re being unreasonable by asking us to buy an entirely new iPod just to get them.  iPods are expensive, and I shouldn’t have to buy another one just for features that are done in software only and can easily be done on existing iPods.

Posted by Gremnan on May 5, 2003 at 12:09 AM (CDT)

amen.

I would willingly pay up to $40 odd bucks for the upgrade if it would save me buying a whole new feeking iPod. these things are not cheap and I am not as loaded as apple would like me to be.

like I said previously, this goes deeper with me than just a bad marketing choice, I have already put my powerbook up for sale. I do not want to be a part of what the apple brand has become.

live on open source.

Posted by Oliver in Japan on May 5, 2003 at 12:29 AM (CDT)

...(not trying to be venomous)
um… if they’re significant features, how is it unreasonable to buy a new ipod?

i still like my old ipod just fine, thanks: that’s how i bought it. to all the other cheap complainers: as said before, if you don’t like it, well, goodbye!

Posted by reason's twin sister on May 6, 2003 at 9:56 AM (CDT)

Hey, if you don’t like America, go find another country to live in!

[/sarcasm]

Posted by Adam Carrington on May 6, 2003 at 10:55 AM (CDT)

well, I live in Japan, and apples fat penis is still fcuking me up the ass!

Posted by Oliver in Japan on May 6, 2003 at 10:18 PM (CDT)

Because it’s being artificially tied to expensive hardware.

Apple doesn’t owe us the software.  But I can certainly be upset that they’re snubbing their old user base not because they have to, but because they want us to buy everything all over again as if we were new customers.

Posted by Gremnan on May 6, 2003 at 11:10 PM (CDT)

Get. Over. It. I am an “old” iPod user, and I am not at all disgruntled. The iPod STILL performs the same tasks and STILL plays music! It is not like they are taking features away.

Get over it. If you don’t like it, lump it. If you weren’t satisfied with the iPod in the first place, why the heck did you buy one? If you aren’t satisfied now because a new model came out, then stop letting the green eyed envy monster get a hold.

low-fi

Posted by low-fi on May 7, 2003 at 3:43 AM (CDT)

yes, I am over it, I am SOOO over it…

But the more I research, the more it seems the features could be on my ipod if apple removed a version checking line of code and recompiled the firmware.

Posted by Oliver in Japan on May 7, 2003 at 3:48 AM (CDT)

It’s not that I’m not satisfied with the iPod.  I plan to keep using it until it dies or something compels me to buy something else.  I’m just not satisfied with Apple.  Just as they’re well within their rights to do what they’re doing, I’m well within my rights to not like their attitude and factor that in the next time I’m shopping.  That’s really all there is to it.

Posted by Gremnan on May 7, 2003 at 11:19 AM (CDT)

Some people are happy with whatever life (and Apple) throw at them while others feel that they can have some influence on their destiny.  If people like “low-fi” are happy with the features that they have on their earlier generation iPod now, perhaps they will refrain from downloading any future firmware updates to conserve precious bandwidth for the rest of us.

Posted by Purple Nurple on May 7, 2003 at 1:42 PM (CDT)

While some people are accepting of Apple’s decision, a lot of us feel differently.  A suggestion for those of you who feel ripped off and forgotten-Let Apple know that you want the new features for the “classic” iPods by writing a review of the iPods both old and new on Amazon.com and similar websites.  If you feel like I do, one could argue poor customer service in the review.  Maybe this will get Apple’s attention.

Posted by Poor Customer Service on May 9, 2003 at 4:24 PM (CDT)

yes, I used to recomend ipods to friends.

well put simply, my recomendations have turned against the ipods.

Posted by Oliver in Japan on May 9, 2003 at 6:59 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2