CNBC: Nike+iPod Sports Kit ‘could change the running world’ | iLounge News

CNBC: Nike+iPod Sports Kit ‘could change the running world’

During CNBC’s “On The Money” this evening, sports reporter Darren Rovell provided the first look at the new Nike+iPod Sports Kit, saying he was “very impressed with it” and that it “could change the running world.” Following a first-hand test of the kit, Rovell proclaimed that it could “kill treadmills and membership at gyms” and “really change the way people run and how people think about running.” According to Rovell, the iPod nano was chosen for Nike+iPod support because the majority of nano owners use it to work out, with Apple’s Greg Joswiak noting that the nano is the most popular iPod model. A Nike exec added that the kit will work with 4 million shoes by the end of the year. Also during the CNBC segment, it was revealed that Apple and Nike plan to spend “no money” on advertising the kit and will “rely solely on buzz.” Besides launches at Nike and Apple Stores tomorrow, the only additional marketing planned for the device is its use by Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong in his preparation for the upcoming New York City Marathon.

« Apple to not appeal case against enthusiast sites

Nike+iPod sprints to Apple, Niketown stores tomorrow »

Comments

I love the idea of this product and its integration into iTunes etc, but years ago I settled on a brand of running shoes (not Nike) and although my shirts, shorts, and jackets etc. are all Nike, I’m not likely to change shoe brands. At least I won’t spend $100 just to try a new shoe. Runners like myself wear out three or four pairs of running shoes each year and keep two in rotation with a third new pair in the closet. Also, runners usually stay with one shoe that works for them after trying several brands. I’ve run several marathons, half-marathons etc. in the same brand of shoe and don’t plan to change. In fact I’ve used the same brand since 1999 and it keeps getting better each year, same model year to year just better.

Now it Nike wants to provide me with a free pair to put a couple hundred miles on so I can see how they feel……

Posted by Marathonman on July 12, 2006 at 6:41 PM (PDT)

I agree. I used to run in Nike before I tried other shoe brands and found I liked other brands better. I run in Saucony and Asics.

If there’s a compatible Nike shoe that seems worth trying, I’ll give it a go, but I hope it won’t cost $100 like the typical Nike shoe (showing my prejudice).

Posted by Dave on July 12, 2006 at 7:00 PM (PDT)

people are gonna start running with their ipods istead of the legs and feet

Posted by feh1325 on July 12, 2006 at 7:10 PM (PDT)

I wonder if one can just slip the sensor into the laces of any shoe and still get the same info?

I don’t see how it demands a unique shoe?

Anyone?

Posted by Chris on July 12, 2006 at 8:07 PM (PDT)

Chris, I was wondering the exact same thing.  You would thing the sensor just detected motion and impact unless the sensor is just a chip and the detection is actually done by something built in the show which sends it to the chip and it sends it to the nano.

I like to exercise, but I don’t like to run.  I mostly lift weights: I would like to see something count my reps and sets… that would be nice.

Posted by 3rdEye on July 12, 2006 at 8:33 PM (PDT)

What happens if two people using the same product run by each other? Will it mess up the data or something?

Posted by Brent on July 12, 2006 at 10:04 PM (PDT)

I think this is a great idea but you also have to realize that two of the biggest companies in the world are working together. Apple + Nike = expensive…

Posted by Jonathan on July 12, 2006 at 10:52 PM (PDT)

$29 seems pretty cheap to me.
I don’t see why other companies can’t just put a hole in the base of their soles as well?

Posted by Stev on July 13, 2006 at 4:23 AM (PDT)

Seems like a simple hack, but, if you go messing with the cushioning of your shoes, you lessen their effectiveness.  In that instance, you’d be better off buying the Nike.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on July 13, 2006 at 6:24 AM (PDT)

That sensor is so small you could probably easily tuck it into the laces of whatever pair of shoes you run in.

The bigger question is does this work with the Ipod video?  I use my video to work out.  When I run I simply tuck it into the cubby on the treadmill to avoid jostling it around, so this would be ideal if it works on my 5G.

Posted by JinKazama on July 13, 2006 at 6:30 AM (PDT)

JinKazama, I’m curious then. What will this give you (other than being able to record detail about your runs) that the treadmill will not. Doesn’t it just tell you pace and calories burned?

Posted by Dave on July 13, 2006 at 6:43 AM (PDT)

JinKazama:

This only works with the iPod nano.  It’s almost certainly because Apple isn’t comfortable endorsing runs with larger, hard drive-based iPods.

Posted by Jonathan F on July 13, 2006 at 7:24 AM (PDT)

Dave,

I would really get it to track my progress and compare my runs.  So I could see once I got home how my runs compare from one day to the next for training purposes.  I do this now but this would make it infinitely easier, with no pencil and pad required.

But it seems this is a moot point since, according to Jonathan it only works with the Nano.  :-(

How about a use with 5G at own risk disclaimer rather than locking the video out.  They’ve effectively knocked out all those folks whose ipod contains their total music library and serves as their workout music player.

Posted by JinKazama on July 13, 2006 at 7:56 AM (PDT)

yeah, they should have an option in Itunes that lets it work on the 5G and have a disclainmer that says something like: By checking this box you have acknowledge that using your hard drive based iPod for vigorous activity like running may damage internal moving parts.

Posted by EM on July 13, 2006 at 9:14 AM (PDT)

Marathon man,

Get over yourself!  You haven’t tried any other model or shoe in years and you say Nike is an inferior product?  I wear asics, and am happy with it, but if Asics wants to keep up then they better offer the same services.

Why do you think Nike cares two bits about you? “provide me with a free pair”...lol

Posted by Allen on July 13, 2006 at 12:43 PM (PDT)

No disclaimer for working out with your hard drive-based ipod was needed when there was no nano.

So silly, or sinister of Apple/Nike to limit the use of this thing to the nano.

I hate to say it’s greed, but what else could it be?  Marketing genius is what they will call it, but I call it greed.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on July 16, 2006 at 11:04 AM (PDT)

Hmmm…I had the Polar S625X with sensor on my laces 2 years ago and it provides an awful lot more info than this kit does…and i still listen to my nano/shuffle when running!

Posted by Daveinscotland on July 17, 2006 at 3:37 PM (PDT)

I usually run in Asic’s but decided to buy the Nike-Ipod. I tried them out this morning.  Great Product!

Posted by runannapolis on July 18, 2006 at 11:57 AM (PDT)